Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What jacket cuff style do you prefer and why?

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I am digging through posts in learning all I can before ordering my first jacket.

What are your thoughts on cuff style? American, button, zip....?

I am considering a Highwayman or a HB style. I like the look of button cuffs, but wonder if they are *practical*....how do they actually wear/function daily. The jacket would be a daily wear comfort jacket...hopefully function as a multi-season piece. I want this to be a jacket that I wear w/ extreme prejudice!

Thanks,
H

Peacoat

Bartender
I prefer the Aero Highwayman cuffs for their simplicity. The Vanson Enfield offers even more simplicity: no cuffs, but zippers on the bottom of the cuff/sleeve. This is a good feature for a motorcycle rider. For me, buttons always seem to get in the way on a leather coat. Plus, they aren't practical for a rider.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
I gotta go with Peacoat on this one... nothing is better than zip sleeves on a riding jacket. On the other hand, if I didn't ride, I might be very tempted by button cuffs, which do have a nice look. I don't really care for wool cuffs at all; for some reason elastic cuffs just annoy me, and I'd guess that they don't age as well as zip sleeves or button cuffs.

holdencain

One of the Regulars
TheSnark said:
I gotta go with Peacoat on this one... nothing is better than zip sleeves on a riding jacket. On the other hand, if I didn't ride, I might be very tempted by button cuffs, which do have a nice look. I don't really care for wool cuffs at all; for some reason elastic cuffs just annoy me, and I'd guess that they don't age as well as zip sleeves or button cuffs.

Thanks-
I don't ride so no worries there. I would worry about catching/ripping off a button.....
H

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I've owned/own jackets with many different kinds of cuffs, guess it depends what the weather's like where y'are, and what you'll be doing in 'em. I walk to work and back year-round so the storm cuffs on my Highwayman & Barnstormer are deff the best for warmth, closely followed by the knit cuffs on my A2 and G1, with the trad 'open end' sleeves of my other jackets in in a very chilly last place!

However, I find that storm or knit cuffs do make jackets pretty much unwearable in any temp over 60, and difficult with sweaters/shirts which themselves have bulky sleeve ends.

I also found zip cuffs the most versatile, in terms of year-round use. They offer the best compromise for warmth/ventilation and wearing over sweaters/shirts, as long as the open/closed sizings aren't too loose/tight!

When I wear my old horsehide cafe racer in the Winter, I pull the sleeves down over the ends of my gloves and zip 'em up, which means my wrists aren't frozen when I get to work, and leave 'em open in the Spring/Autumn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo