Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes you feel vintage?

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
For me, it's when I'm forcibly confronted with the cheesiest aspects of modern culture -- when I'm standing in the checkout line at the grocery store, and have the trashy magazines thrust in my face: SEX SEX LAME CELEBS SEX LAME CELEBS SLEAZE SLEAZE. It's then that I most feel like I must have gotten off the bus in the wrong generation.
You're funny LizzieMaine! I feel the same. Modern culture makes me yearn for wholesome stars like Doris Day and Sandra Dee. Sometimes it feels like I'm the last virgin queen (and proud of it!).

:eek:fftopic:

Actually, when I see that I wish I could see the headlines with something like Frank and Ava's torrid affair on the cover. ;) (I'm sick of Brad and Ange. :rage: )

On Topic:

Reading my early edition copies of Laura, Mildred Pierce, Duel in the Sun, Now Voyager. (All 40's)

Or, With my tendency to mix era's (Then and Now)

Wearing a black knockoff fedora with my red knit sweater, and dark blue vintage repro shorts.

Kinda end up looking like a Mex-American version the girls from High-King. (A H!P *cough* J-pop mini-group) But hey, I don't mind. ;)

*But I've a bit more leg coverage.
And my outfit came before the group!*

Pic: WARNING HUGE PIC.

High-King.jpg

millbrookmusic

Familiar Face
For me it's kind of when these old black and white pictures that I'm used to seeing kind of blend with reality. For instance at the Cicada Club, you can easily look around 360 degrees and nothing would destroy the "reality" that you're in the 20's or 30's.

Also, the other day I was driving in an older part of Los Angeles and the sun was setting right in front of me so that I could hardly see much around me for brief moments, just the large shapes of the old buildings around me. Oddly enough, it was then that I had a vintage feeling...where I imagined driving through there in 19 twenty-something in a Model T and the sun getting in the eyes of the motorist and all he'd be able to see were those same buildings. Just a weird little connection this, tis' all.

And also, seeing a Keaton and Chaplin film the other day in a grand turn of the century theatre...in a way it was like the Cicada Club in that every where I looked (granted much of it was dark) I realized that someone 80 years ago would've been in me seat and looked around and seen the same sights.

I really love the forward in the book "Silent Echos: Discovering Early Hollywood Through the Films of Buster Keaton" where the author says "Keaton's film world-silent, without color-constructed generations ago, today seems completely beyond reach, as alien and remote as if from some other planet. And yet, with an open mind, and a clear eye, we can establish that these celluloid visions were once real, and in many cases still exist." I thought that was a good way to describe the relationship between today and yesterday.

~ Daniel

sinatras_gal

New in Town
feeling

what makes me feel vintage is when i shop. All i wish is to just shop easy...pick up a nice 40's dress and thats it....but nope...i have to hunt and online shop...its just sad...also when i look around at the world like previously written by another member about the headlines of mags and wondering why they live in this generation...i strongly agree with this... when i picture getting married even....i wish so bad that i didnt have to settle for the modern man.... and i wish that life was the same, withfamily being essential and i could stay home and be a housewife and maker. And that my husband would just take me out dancing and the club i enter is a swing club. Like when i look at my grandparents, i see them dancing so perfectly to these old italian songs and i jsut think "wow, people take dancing lessons now to learn to do that" and so i asked my nonna (grandma) and said " how did you learn how to dance that way" and then she said (one thing that makes me wish entirely to have lived in the 40's) " well, that's all we used to do when we were young...dance at barn dances and in the street...this was our form of fun "

Sachet

Familiar Face
There are various points of connection for me....

Watching a classic movie from the 40's or 50's and contemplating the lives of the people - both as the actors and as the real people they were then - and how there is an ambiance that newer movies don't have. Some would say the older movies are more simple and not as engaging as more modern films since they don't have all the special effects, etc.. But the timing of the musical score, the facial expressions, the intensity of the actors, the camera angles, the script.....it all comes together to create magic.

This past weekend I was thrown back in time as I meandered around an antique store and noticed all the vintage items. Ancient lace, pillbox hats, chrome toasters, old record albums, a steamer trunk showing signs of having been well-traveled, hand-crafted tables with dings and scratches from moments in the lives of the previous owners. I gently touched everything because the tactile sensation of "touching" a piece of history instantly causes my mind to wonder who owned it, what did they do, why did they part with it, and so on.

Hiking is another catalyst for me. When I stand on top of a mountain and look out over miles and miles of uninterrupted forest, I can't help but reflect upon the people before me who walked there and the struggles inherent to life in the mountains in previous decades. Especially when I come upon an old chimney standing tall, a silent testament to a family heritage. I always feel compelled to run my fingers over the bricks or stones and contemplate what life was like when that particular chimney was the center of family life.

...Sachet

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Coved ceilings

Wood paneling painted white...hardwood maple floors...built-ins with glass doors...wood siding...plaster with all kids of cracks and fractures... and let's not even think about the foundation!

Living in an old house - I also wonder about the people who lived in it. But the other day, as I was watering in front, a gal yelled from across the street - "You live in my cousin's old house!". So maybe she will come back and tell me!

Also, stuff found in pockets of vintage clothing, like the date night I found in a 20s tux once - a Juicy Fruit wrapper and a condom in an ancient package. But that's a whole other thread...

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
What makes me feel vintage...

Going to my old school barber. His shop has been there for 60 years. The neck massage, the hot lather and straight razor shave, the bay rum he splashes on after the shave and most importantly the old school hair dressing products he keeps in the drawer for the old school throwbacks like myself.
What's really sad is he is retiring in about a month.... I really hate to see another classic barbershop close and I wander where I will find another "Vintage Shop" and talented barber who knows what a "Taper Cut' truly is.....

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, for one...

... my age.

And the other vintage feeling is because I am living again with my 89 year-old mother in the house in which I grew up . Lots of old stuff, photos, furniture, even some old clothes in the place.

The house was built in 1914. My parents bought it in 1951. Sometimes, looking at it, I feel like I am in a time warp, other times I have to look at old photos of the place and neighborhood to get a sense of what the house and yard looked like over 50 years ago.

karol

Cameo Carrier

New in Town
I know what you mean Brylcream Boy. I just moved here and I went through two that totally messed me up so bad I had to go home and fix it myself. At least one didn't charge me. I didn't realize how hard a flattop was. Now I'm doing a flattopp w/ fenders. This is the first guy since I moved that even knows what it's supposed to look like, lol.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I'm getting ready to go out...old R&B or Swing playing in the background...soft lighting in the rest of the house. The hair comes out right...the clothes perfect. Just the feeling of the planets being aligned before I step out into the real word.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
well I would have to say

Sitting at my 1930's Vanity, listening to Artie Shaw's " Stardust" and Applying my vintage make up.... well fresh make up in vintage bottles and Boxes!
also at night, rolling my hair in metal rods! while reading my motion Pictures Magazines too

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1940's said:
while reading my motion Pictures Magazines too

Isn't that the best? I usually snuggle up in bed and read one before I doze off. I do this every single night. My husband often likes to look over my shoulder and point out all the "hot" women lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
well it can be alot of things and the feeling can either come creeping a long or it can hit me instantly.

A few good examples is hearing Glen Miller's Moonlight Serenade, getting dressed up and putting on my garters & stockings, reading old sewing magazines and trying to make the clothes and recently I discovered that dancing swing does help a lot too.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Micawber said:

Yikes! :eek: How true. Especially for those of us old enough to have experienced at least some of what the younger generation romanticizes. (And I don't really consider myself to be all "that old"). Yet I'm still over 50 :eek: Funny how the human mind tends to select the good and forgets the not-so-good memories of years gone bye.

Vintage? I still use the 1950 freezer my parents once used! Still works just fine!

Cameo Carrier

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:
This thread is about the things in life that make you feel vintage, let's keep it to that, if you want your posts to remain in this thread.

Sorry Hemingway Jones. What I was getting at was when my hair comes out right because I finally found a barber that knows vintage hair styles. Another thing that makes me feel vintage is walking in the barber shop to get my hair cut. He's got a real 40's-50's feel in there.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cameo Carrier said:
Sorry Hemingway Jones. What I was getting at was when my hair comes out right because I finally found a barber that knows vintage hair styles. Another thing that makes me feel vintage is walking in the barber shop to get my hair cut. He's got a real 40's-50's feel in there.
That was a general statement Cameo; it wasn't directed at you. :)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
Walking down the sidewalk in one of the old parts of town, in my suit and fedora, along with a few similarly dressed Loungers.

I echo this sentiment, except that I haven't got any similarly dressed Loungers to be with. I'm usually solo.

Also, using my 1955 Smith-Corona "Silent" while listening to the Big Band Channel on my television (wish I could get it to come out of a radio!).

-Dave

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Using the things (pens, typewriter, briefcase, jacket) that belonged to my grandfather.

Doing my laundry with a washboard, which I find oddly relaxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL