Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yes. I've restored a couple of 1932 vintage Rickenbacker amplifiers, and several of those weird Epiphone amps with the four UY-238's in parallel push-pull, so I am fairly familiar with the technology, but in practical terms the electric guitar's malign influence on music was not felt until the 1950's.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Yes. I've restored a couple of 1932 vintage Rickenbacker amplifiers, and several of those weird Epiphone amps with the four UY-238's in parallel push-pull, so I am fairly familiar with the technology, but in practical terms the electric guitar's malign influence on music was not felt until the 1950's.

That's not necessarily the fault of the instrument it's the fault of the so called "musicians" as you know if they're played for lack of better words lets say low keyed they are a very nice sounding instrument.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It isn't awful when it is well-played, but then it is so seldom well-played.

A woman by the name of Elinor Moniak led a potted-palm dance orchestra out of Chicago around 1935, built around her own performance on a theremin. They played regularly at the Medinah Shrine Club and broadcast over WBBM -- about ten years ago I came across a home-recorded disc containing a fragment of one of their broadcasts and my reaction was along the lines of "it's not that it's done well, but you're surprised to find it done at all."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Are you a member over there? I have been for years. Great folks on that site.

I've been reading it for years, but haven't gotten around to signing up. It's a great reference source for wiring diagrams and such -- been a big help getting my own phones set up. And after reading that post, I'm going to keep a spare WE302 in my desk drawer at work as insurance against the day when our hi-tech PBX goes down.

It is a wealth of information. It's wonderful that you've been able to use it for reference.

I've been reading it for years, but haven't gotten around to signing up. It's a great reference source for wiring diagrams and such -- been a big help getting my own phones set up. And after reading that post, I'm going to keep a spare WE302 in my desk drawer at work as insurance against the day when our hi-tech PBX goes down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou