Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube;bVSNDj9uKYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bVSNDj9uKYw#t=132[/video]

This is one tough taco...lol...

Happy Shoveling... :essen:

Last edited:
Geez, when did Americans become too lazy to pick up a taco from the <bleep>ing side!
5196PHKGABL._SY300_.jpg

When did they lose so much self respect that they ate crunchy tacos?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
[video=youtube;bVSNDj9uKYw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bVSNDj9uKYw#t=132[/video]

This is one tough taco...lol...

Happy Shoveling... :essen:

I'm glad she's not my wife.
I'm glad she's not doing that in my car.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Sensational and biased news stations (such as MSNBC and Fox). How is news news if you have a guy freaking out and talking with his hands, with music in the background? The Weather channel is also victim to dramatization, even more so now than ever, since they added music in every possible place.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In the Era, Walter Winchell was the most popular news commentator on the air, with his telegraph key and his mile-a-minute voice and his very obvious point of view. (I always chuckle with satisfaction when I hear him call pro-Fascist/racist /anti-Semitc clergyman Gerald L. K. Smith "Gerald Lucifer K-K-Kodfish Smith.)

But the difference between then and now is that there was only *one* Winchell.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The Weather channel is also victim to dramatization, even more so now than ever, since they added music in every possible place.

I never thought I'd see the day when the weather was big business, but it is. There is now an entire industry built around predicting, tracking and reporting on tropical weather. One would think hurricanes are a brand new phenomenon. Every July starts the barrage of spaghetti model tracks, frightening graphics and ominous music. Hurricanes are assigned not only names, but personalities. They now move of their own volition and focus themselves on the complete destruction of populated areas. Reporters scream their stories into cameras while facing an 80 mph wind. The rain slaps their faces raw. Walk inside to file your report, Jim Cantore…or at least turn your back to the wind.

AF

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I even noticed that they play different music when there is a thunderstorm warning/watch. They used to have lots more music they played. Now they only play two songs. The good weather song, and the bad weather song. Both are annoying songs, but before they changed, they played annoying music too.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Great Northeast Hurricane of 1938 took most of New England and New York by surprise -- most weather forecasts that day predicted "gale force" winds, but little else. The only regional weather forecaster to get it right was E. B. Rideout, the famous weather voice of station WEEI in Boston, who correctly predicted the storm would hit the coast with full hurricane force on the afternoon of September 21st.

There was no panic before the storm. That happened afterward.

1938hurricane.JPG

Up here we say modern hurricanes have to have names -- to distinguish them from *The* Hurricane.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Meanwhile, I could really do without the idea of the "thigh gap." I'd never heard of this until about ten minutes ago, and I wish I never had. The Boys From Marketing can kiss my flabby middle-aged -- thighs.

I'm not sure how far it's a marketing thing and how far it's a crowd-sourced lunacy.... Certainly we'll know it's the former as soon as somebody starts selling a miracle cause / cure. Like when they invented cellulite as a "problem"...

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
"Thigh gap"! Goodness... never even imagined there is such an "issue".
Utterly ridiculous - and if you ask me, skinny, twiggy thighs with a huge gap are neither feminine, nor attractive.

How on earth do they come up with these "beauty criteria"?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Thigh gap"! Goodness... never even imagined there is such an "issue".
Utterly ridiculous - and if you ask me, skinny, twiggy tighs with a huge gap are neither feminine, nor attractive.

How on earth do they come up with these "beauty criteria"?

The entire modern fashion industry can go to the hot place as far as I'm concerned -- it reeks of twisted, cynical misogyny, all the while barking "Art! Art! Art!"

Look at the fashion magazines of the Era and you won't see any of this kind of garbage. It really is a crime against women.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy