Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

fashion frank

One Too Many
No real New Englander ever said "Nor'easter." The correct native pronunciation is "No'theasta". I never heard "Nor'easter" in my life until the Weather Channel came along, and nobody but an outastatah would use the term today.

" Ya kan't git thater from herea" and "pepperage farms remembers " , it reminds me of the the good ole swamp yankee's!

All the best ,Fashion Frank

fashion frank

One Too Many
Damm after just quit putting up that last post it made me remember what I wanted to say in the first place.

I can't stand all those stupid voyeuristic T. V. shows ,people getting voted on and off and that "Sweet Genius" ( I want to reach through the screeen and grab ,er ...well I think you get my drift) and "America 's got no Talent " .

What the hell happened to all those great shows that I watched as a kid.

I can remember my whole family and myself singing along to Mitch Miller with the bouncing ball on the screen and the Honeymooner's and even shows like Bewitched in the 60's had better script writters than what you hear and see today that passes for entertainment.

All the Best, Fashion Frank

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Damm after just quit putting up that last post it made me remember what I wanted to say in the first place.

I can't stand all those stupid voyeuristic T. V. shows ,people getting voted on and off and that "Sweet Genius" ( I want to reach through the screeen and grab ,er ...well I think you get my drift) and "America 's got no Talent " .

I can remember my whole family and myself singing along to Mitch Miller with the bouncing ball on the screen and the Honeymooner's and even shows like Bewitched in the 60's had better script writters than what you hear and see today that passes for entertainment.

Reality shows with no reality?I feel your pain FF.

My dad talks about it all the time. His favorites were the Variety Shows, with hosts like Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Sha-Na-Na, etc. He's constantly telling me about how I really missed out on a good era of television.

My family and I still do enjoy our Sunday dose of Hee Haw, though.

My dad talks about it all the time. His favorites were the Variety Shows, with hosts like Andy Williams, Glen Campbell, Sha-Na-Na, etc. He's constantly telling me about how I really missed out on a good era of television.

My family and I still do enjoy our Sunday dose of Hee Haw, though.

I too remember those shows. My favorites were the Dean Martin Show and Laugh In. :)

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
Can I ask what you have against people having to pick up after their dogs?

5 things:
1. Curbing your dog was fine before the 1970s and we all got by with that.
2. I'm not convinced by the water pollution study that is used to back this law up while precious little is done about the antidepressants, antibiotics, sex hormones and various poisons that end up in the water system and which are far, far more concerning. Actually throw a stone and you'll hit something in the environment that's more concerning that dog crap. GM food is more concerning than dog crap. With GM food we aren't even allowed a law to label it, let alone prohibit it. Also dogs are crapping in yards all over America and no-one's picking that up - into the water system it goes.
3. Instead of going back into the earth with its minerals all this dog crap is being bagged-up, hauled off and thrown into landfills. Tons of it is all wrapped up in plastic and can't even degrade for over a hundred years. It's so futile.
4. Nothing is being done about the deer, rabbits, foxes, squirrels, mice, opossums, racoons, badgers, coytoes, bobcats, lizards, turtles, stray cats, outside cats, inside-outside cats and stray dogs that are crapping all over your neighborhood, right now, right as I am typing this message. Futile.
5. It's obedience training. For people.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
No real New Englander ever said "Nor'easter." The correct native pronunciation is "No'theasta". I never heard "Nor'easter" in my life until the Weather Channel came along, and nobody but an outastatah would use the term today.
They were using a Chesapeake waterman dialect pronounciation that is closer to the old spelling NoreEastre. It is difficult to move into an area and get all the pronounciations to match the locals. In my area there are several pronounciations of Norfolk and Suffolk within those cities. I have even had people here correct my pronounciation when I was really talking about the cities in England.

Feraud

Bartender
5 things:
1. Curbing your dog was fine before the 1970s and we all got by with that.
2. I'm not convinced by the water pollution study that is used to back this law up while precious little is done about the antidepressants, antibiotics, sex hormones and various poisons that end up in the water system and which are far, far more concerning. Actually throw a stone and you'll hit something in the environment that's more concerning that dog crap. GM food is more concerning than dog crap. With GM food we aren't even allowed a law to label it, let alone prohibit it. Also dogs are crapping in yards all over America and no-one's picking that up - into the water system it goes.
3. Instead of going back into the earth with its minerals all this dog crap is being bagged-up, hauled off and thrown into landfills. Tons of it is all wrapped up in plastic and can't even degrade for over a hundred years. It's so futile.
4. Nothing is being done about the deer, rabbits, foxes, squirrels, mice, opossums, racoons, badgers, coytoes, bobcats, lizards, turtles, stray cats, outside cats, inside-outside cats and stray dogs that are crapping all over your neighborhood, right now, right as I am typing this message. Futile.
5. It's obedience training. For people.

In large populated areas people should pick up after their dogs to eliminate the accumulation of waste that will quickly build up on city streets. It's more a civic duty/common sense issue than pitting one political agenda against another.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We not only never missed Mitch Miller, but my mother still has all his record albums, complete with fold-out song lyrics -- which we used to sing out loud whenever the records played. The Rock Generation not only completely passed our house by -- I don't think it even dared to come near us.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Remember when "a season" of shows was 26 (or more!) episodes, each with only ONE rerun PER YEAR? Now we have shows with ten or 12 episodes in a season, and they're rerun seemingly randomly forever. It's really easy to lose interest in a show when there's no new material or you have to wait eight months to see a new episode.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Incessant, immediate reruns of brand new TV shows.

I once loved Family Guy -- now I can't stand it. Got played out too much.

Once loved The Big Bang Theory -- can't even watch it now. *yawn*

I'm more of a "freak show" kind of gal anyway (stuff on Discovery Health and that sort of thing lol)

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I despise the short television seasons and especially those broken up by a mid-season break.

I have seen times that the first episode of a series aired and they advertised that an all new episode woud air the following week.

There are so many TV channels around now that it is cost-effective for a network to air a show as a rerun the day after it first airs.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What really should never have been developed? The coast-to-coast television network circuits. When TV was based in New York, it was far away from the Hollywood operators, and live drama and variety ruled the roost. When the cable was hooked up in 1951, it was only a matter of time before Hollywood took over and, with few exceptions sent everything spinning down the pipe.

The loss of television variety meant a lot more than the loss of weekly series. The Television "Spectacular" was a big thing in the fifties and early sixties, featuring big stars in high-class, high-quality once-in-a-lifetime productions. Look up "Noel Coward and Mary Martin: Together With Music" or "An Evening With Fred Astaire" sometime to see just how classy and grown-up television once was, and how it'll never, ever be again.

In film, the use of cutting that is not congruent to story line. In action films the cutting is usd o not form flowing story lines an action but are "not right" this is used as a tool to create confusion and add tension to the scene. It i the antithesis of a Peckinpah type scene where slow motion is allowed to render the rsults as horiffic as possible. Todays editing it frustratingly frenetic. It's like a psychotic person with ADD that been administered adreneline.

Remember when "a season" of shows was 26 (or more!) episodes, each with only ONE rerun PER YEAR? Now we have shows with ten or 12 episodes in a season, and they're rerun seemingly randomly forever. It's really easy to lose interest in a show when there's no new material or you have to wait eight months to see a new episode.

On FOX tv you could watch 2 seasons of the Big Bang Theory in about 3 weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran