Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What motivates you to do your beauty everyday? Lately I cant find any motivation!

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
I am motivated to set my hair every three nights because I know I will wake up feeling terrible about myself and life in general if I don't. :) It sounds silly but I've found over the past few months that having my hair done really affects my mood and self-esteem. Even if I don't dress up or wear makeup, I always feel better with a pin-curled hairdo and a dash of lipstick. :)

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Sheeplady, wow! That is amazingly organised! Very impressive, although I could never make myself stick to it!

I mostly work from home at the moment and sometimes go a whole week without not interacting with anyone other than my fiance and my cat! This is probably going to sound mad, but those weeks when I know I'll be at home and won't see friends, then I dress up for the supermarket! We do daily shopping at the local supermarket and I will honestly not go there without getting properly dressed, doing my makeup and hair. Not because I need a 'mask' or anything, but I enjoy feeling like I look nice and at this point it just feels like "me" - the way I want the world to see me.

Although I am NOT an organised sort of person and fairly spontaneous in other areas, I have quite a set routine when it comes to makeup and dressing, and a bit less so with hair. I do the same makeup every day, I don't even vary it for daytime and night time or party time. It's almost automatic and comes very easily. I also think I look rubbish and washed out without makeup! However, I'm in a bit of a slump when it comes to doing my hair.

When it comes to dressing I wear pretty much the same stuff all the time, my entire wardrobe has become vintage inspired, actual vintage or repro, I couldn't even dress "trendy" or in jeans if I wanted to! So there is really no option but to dress "up", because I don't own anything else! I have dresses that are 'house dresses' mostly, because they're more roomy and comfy or getting a bit washed out, but to most people they probably still look quite dressy. I'm working on getting rid of things I don't like or that don't cut it, so that slowly I only have clothing I actually wear and love. This way, dressing nicely is not difficult at all, it's just dressing!

What I love about getting fixed up every day is that I feel so sure about my style now, I don't question whether I should dress like this or if I should dress some other way, it just feels right.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I mostly work from home at the moment and sometimes go a whole week without not interacting with anyone other than my fiance and my cat! This is probably going to sound mad, but those weeks when I know I'll be at home and won't see friends, then I dress up for the supermarket! We do daily shopping at the local supermarket and I will honestly not go there without getting properly dressed, doing my makeup and hair. Not because I need a 'mask' or anything, but I enjoy feeling like I look nice and at this point it just feels like "me" - the way I want the world to see me.

I find I tend to do this for week end errands as I don't get out too often it is my chance to dress it up a bit.

When it comes to dressing I wear pretty much the same stuff all the time, my entire wardrobe has become vintage inspired, actual vintage or repro, I couldn't even dress "trendy" or in jeans if I wanted to! So there is really no option but to dress "up", because I don't own anything else! I have dresses that are 'house dresses' mostly, because they're more roomy and comfy or getting a bit washed out, but to most people they probably still look quite dressy. I'm working on getting rid of things I don't like or that don't cut it, so that slowly I only have clothing I actually wear and love. This way, dressing nicely is not difficult at all, it's just dressing!

What I love about getting fixed up every day is that I feel so sure about my style now, I don't question whether I should dress like this or if I should dress some other way, it just feels right.

I am envious of you ladies that can do this on a regular basis. I teach high school art and not just any type of art, half the day I teach ceramics and not only do I worry I would ruin any good vintage clothes but I also don't feel wearing skirts and dresses works at my job as I do teach the wheel and well the wheel must be straddled and well I just feel more comfortable demonstrating the wheel in pants. I have tried making some pants of my own but just have not found the right fit in a pattern as I am very apple shaped and short and I love the 40's pant but they do nothing for me I think i may try to make a pair of cigarette style pants soon and if I can find a pattern I like I could start making some to wear to work but I don't have lots of free time for sewing so it would take me a while to have enough for daily wear. If you have any good suggestions for me please share.

jessiee

New in Town
Woo my first post :)
But the one thing that motivates me is knowing how confident I feel when I'm all done up and that pushes me to go through the tedious yet still enjoyable beauty process.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Sheeplady, don't you have to be in the mood to wear a certain color? Or type of garment? Depending on my mood I choose pink instead of black, or a pencil skirt instead of a circle one. My mood swings from day to day, for better or for worse.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Land-O-LakesGal, You should check Freddie's 50's jeans http://www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=50sutility
they have a narrower leg. And the pedal pushers http://www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=pedals.
I'm pretty short (163 cm or I think 5'4), and sometimes capris fit me like pants! I have a pair of Bettie Page ones I had tailored to be narrower on the calf, and I wear them in chilly weather since the fabric is nice and thick.

cherry lips the pedal pushers are actually a great idea at least for spring although I try not to wear "jeans" everday to work I think the red ones would work even though they are technically still jeans. I did just order a pair of jeans (was not intending to wear to work) I will have to see how they fit. Also I think Betty Page is opening a shop in town soon at the Mall of America.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sheeplady, don't you have to be in the mood to wear a certain color? Or type of garment? Depending on my mood I choose pink instead of black, or a pencil skirt instead of a circle one. My mood swings from day to day, for better or for worse.

I would say that my clothes change my mood more than my mood changes my clothes. :) I really am attached to most of my clothes, so I always get a bit excited when I get my next outfit in the morning, or if I remember what it was from the night before. For me, the biggest benefit is that it has stopped me from "saving" stuff. I have this annoying habit of saying "this is too good to wear day-to-day" and then it sits in my closet. I actually wear almost everything now.

It also seems to cut down on wash, and wear, because everything gets worn equally, and you end up with big piles of each color. I'm sure in a few years when everything dies at the same time I will have a different view.

I was a bit worried in posting my strategies that people would think I was crazy. I'm glad that people are keeping those kinds of thoughts to themselves if they have them :) ). For me, it has made pulling on a skirt and a blouse easier than jeans, because with jeans I have to find everything- the jeans, the top, etc. Getting ready to go to the home improvement store takes longer than getting ready for work, and I like that. It puts me in a good mood for starting my work day.

Tatum

Practically Family
I would say that my clothes change my mood more than my mood changes my clothes. :) I really am attached to most of my clothes, so I always get a bit excited when I get my next outfit in the morning, or if I remember what it was from the night before. For me, the biggest benefit is that it has stopped me from "saving" stuff. I have this annoying habit of saying "this is too good to wear day-to-day" and then it sits in my closet. I actually wear almost everything now.

It also seems to cut down on wash, and wear, because everything gets worn equally, and you end up with big piles of each color. I'm sure in a few years when everything dies at the same time I will have a different view.

I was a bit worried in posting my strategies that people would think I was crazy. I'm glad that people are keeping those kinds of thoughts to themselves if they have them :) ). For me, it has made pulling on a skirt and a blouse easier than jeans, because with jeans I have to find everything- the jeans, the top, etc. Getting ready to go to the home improvement store takes longer than getting ready for work, and I like that. It puts me in a good mood for starting my work day.

I love your strategy, I just don't think I could do it! My life is unpredictable and spontaneous. There are times that I know exactly what I will be wearing when (I had last weekend's trip with Gracie Lee pretty planned out) and then there are days, like yesterday, that I have no idea what might come up.

Then again, it sounds like your wardrobe is immense, and I envy you! Last weekend's shopping trip made me realize that I have some really nice winter outfits, but not a lot for summer, so I am working on that!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am lucky in that I am still wearing things I bought 15 years ago. I also tend to get a lot of hand-me-downs (I must look like a charity case). Most of the stuff I wear is used, and I also drag through the clearance racks for things like shirts and blazers (I've been known to buy three of the same exact shirt if it is two dollars and I like it). Up until a few years ago, I was really lucky because nobody around here is my size, so I could always find really nice things for under $5 or less on clearance. Then the stores figured it out and just stopped carrying my size at all. It has gotten much harder to find nice things used because of the same thing. It's gotten to the point where I'm going to have to make most of my stuff.

Where I live you need to have clothes for each season. So I planned out Feb, March, and April; so that is all my winter, all my spring/fall, and a good portion of my summer. I work on a semester basis, so I normally have summer/fall/winter or winter/spring/fall overlap, which makes it easier. I have about 15 days of outfits for each season, so with working out 3-4 days a week I can cover a semester, with some overlap in skirts and blazers. (I dress business casual, with casual days once in a while).

Almost none of my stuff is vintage, but to most people it probably looks like vintage-inspired, because that is how my tastes go.

Yeah, I like clothes. ;)

LandGirl1980

New in Town
Clothes wise - I always plan my outfits the night before. I leave early on a crappy commute and I do not have the 5 -30 mins to spare in the morning, trying to decide what to wear!

Hair wise - I set it once a week, usually on a sunday night when I have more time. By the time it comes to "dress down friday" at work - I am ready for an updo and a headscarf. This is usually the look for Saturday too.

Makeup wise - I have it pegged to 5 mins application (I do spend longer if going out and about somewhere other than work).

Motivation wise - I think a LOT about women of the past. They could look great - and they were fighting a War! If you look at the "real" women from WW2 - they always looked presentable. It was a way of life. It is a shame that this ethos seems to be dying.
It also makes me feel smug when I sit amoungst the dishevelled on the train. The flip side of that, is that they may think me vain. But I don't care :)

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I can't find any either...

I find that my motivation to go through the vintage routine is directly related to how much time I have in my life. I feel good about me whether my outside is polished or not. Confidence is about my being capable, not my ability to look like society wants me to. When I have time, I'm motivated to set my hair and do all the extra stuff, be extra precise with my make-up, etc. But when my life is crammed full of responsibilities and I am not even getting 5 hrs of sleep a night (which happens often, unfortunately), the beauty routine is seriously reduced or goes out the window entirely. It comes down to a survival thing.

But as for the drive to be beautiful, I'd say old films and vintage photos get me chomping at the bit. Sometimes that happens when I've no time to spare and it bums me, but I catalog it for the future.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
It's hard and at times not possible, but once you get into a routine you don’t need motivation as much- it becomes second nature.

I only need a little shove when it comes to setting my hair- but even once I have started that, even that doesn’t seem such a task!
Most of my motivation comes from looking at old photo’s I’ve picked up- thinking if they can do it- so can I!
Another thing that motivates me is the thought of not having my hair done (may sound terribly vein!:eek:) but I absolutely hate my hair straight- I feel miserable, I look even worse with straight hair (hehe), and well, just because I wear 30’s/40’s every day and having no curly top looks totally wrong on me! I just generally feel more chipper with a set!

So I may feel and look like a diseased flea today, but at least I look like a diseased flea with a curly top- and boy does that make me feel better!;)

T x

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Lately, I have been taking care of my grandson...I had three of my own and survived, how can a 5 month old up end my world?!
I don't wear makeup since hubby likes me as is, so with that out of the way...at night I lay out what I am going to wear (grandson arrives quite early), have toiletries laid out the night before so I can quickly clean my face and, on the days I have him, I wear a ponytail or a variation of "victory rolls" so when I give him raspberrys on his belly, I don't give him a face full of hair either!
Now today, I did not have him and I didn't roust out of bed till late...first morning to sleep in in ages and coffee in bed is wonderful ;) I did think about staying in my nightie...but I knew I would feel alot better if I got dressed and freshened up as usual. My inspiration? Well, not only did I have coffee in bed, but the laptop too and seeing as I got to perusal all my fave vintage blogs...well, it just would have been shameful not to! I really do find encouragement from alot of you here and on the vintage blogs as well ;)

Lenore

Practically Family
This topic came at just the right time for me. I've been at a new job for the last three months and boy is my motivation almost nil. I work in an office with two men that run a warehouse of four more men. My boss is very lax and encourages me to wear jeans everyday, and regardless that I don't care for them, I've been wearing them. I haven't put on makeup in over a week, and the only reason I did that is because the owner of the company was stopping by. That day I got more compliments (which I posted in the "Comments you get when you dress vintage" thread) than I have in a long time and realized exactly how lazy I've gotten. I need to find a way to combine the excessive casualness of my job and my vintage style which makes me happy. And I need to find the motivation to actually accomplish it daily...

Last edited:

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
When you find it, Lenore, let me know! I'd love to do the same. I don't have much to offer in return except my daily make up routine, which is very basic: tinted sunscreen, powder, a light swipe of pencil liner, mascara, and a tinted gloss/balm on my lips. It goes really quickly, and just polishes me up a bit without looking made up. My boss, who is second in the whole joint, doesn't even wear make up on a daily basis... it's how we know she has a big meeting :D I get dolled up on the weekend ;)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I won't leave the house for a significant amount of time without makeup on...I suppose I just think about how much better I feel when I'm nicely dressed, made-up, coiffured etc. Recently I've realised that I have far too many lovely potential outfits that need to be worn, that helps give me a kick up the backside a bit! Though there are some days when I'm at home all day, expecting no visitors and have stuff to get on with, that I just fall back on my skinny jeans and big wooly sweater. When you're used to being dressed to the nines (in comparison with the general population) it's a relief - and forgiveable! - to have slobby days :D

Having said that, I doubt my life is as hectic as some ladies on here- those of you with young kids and/or full-time jobs manage that to look lovelier and more authentic than I do, I salute you! :D

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wake up, take one look at the Mirror:
"Oh, girl.. you just CAN'T face the world.. not with that face".......... it's what my Mirror would say.
And, it's true. My motivation is all about NEVER letting the World see my pale face, my tiny eyes, my acne (and scars here and there), or the lame excuse for eyebrows. I show the world what they SHOULD see. :)
No excuses!
I don't want the scare the children in the streets, do I?
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner