Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

JohnnyDollar

Familiar Face
Used those exact pens for two years at work. I started using them so folks wouldn't steal my pens figuring it was better than nothing (until I got a vintage FP), now I have a few coworkers that are using them. I still have a number of them in my desk and still like to use them occasionally.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I got hooked by the Varsity pens several years. Then I jumped to a Lamay Safari, ok but not great. Last week I treated myself to my first truly vintage FP, a Schaeffer Balance from the 30's. The Balance is a pretty substantial pen and the medium nib lays down a nice line. Unfortunately, I can already tell this is going to get addicting. I now have the urge to buy a Schaeffer with an inlaid nib. They just look so elegant. I bought the Balance through Payton Street Pens and Teri was a pleasure to deal with. I recommend them very highly.

JDG

DeaconKC

One Too Many
One of the best ways to really try a good quality fountain pen is the Waterman Phileas. Reasonably priced, very good nibs and a medium sized pen.You can [ick up a converter on the cheap and then try out various inks...........

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I will be carrying a Visconti Homo Sapiens ground to a 0.7mm Cursive Italic. It will be filled with Noodler's Benevolent Badger :)

i am still running with the 30's no name mostly this week. i stopped by the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia to pick up a bottle of the Private Reserve Velvet Black. While I was there several customers came in and it was fun to talk Pens.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Just ordered another FP: an NOS Eversharp Symphony 913 made in 1950. I suppose the next part of the fun will be trying different inks. I am partial to very dark/rich blue ink that is fast drying. Suggestions?

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I have a rollerball made by Waterford, and it's an amazing pen, especially if you like heavy pens. The only problem I have is needing a refill cartridge every week... I need to find a converter for it, I think...

Just ordered another FP: an NOS Eversharp Symphony 913 made in 1950. I suppose the next part of the fun will be trying different inks. I am partial to very dark/rich blue ink that is fast drying. Suggestions?

I saw that Private reserve has a line of fast drying inks. Don't know much about them but the other PR inks are mixable so you maybe able to create a mix of fast drying to create a color you'd like.

Heather

Practically Family
I would really like to get a fountain pen. Now that I'm keeping a journal, it seems like the perfect excuse. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good or decent one for a beginner such as I. It would be much appreciated! :)

Doublegun

Practically Family
I would really like to get a fountain pen. Now that I'm keeping a journal, it seems like the perfect excuse. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good or decent one for a beginner such as I. It would be much appreciated! :)

It's hard to beat a Pilot Varsity as a place to start. Check out Amazon - they have them. Payton Street Pens out in CA has a great selection of pens, including old new in stock FP's that have never been inked, for less than $50. Search for them on the Web. Teri is the proprietor and is great to work with - very patient and not pushing expensive pens. I recommend them highly.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
For traditional looks, both Cross and Waterman make some very reasonably priced FPs with excellent nibs. If you like a techno look, the Lamy Safari is also in the running.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I found a bottle of Skrip in a trip to Hobby Lobby the other day, and it was on clearance for $2! It'll be fine in my technical pens until I happen across a good deal on a decent FP.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Not exactly carrying, but I bought these two today (along with the cufflinks) and briefly used both:

2 1940s/1950s mechanical pencils and a pair of 1950s MoP cufflinks:

002-12.jpg

001-11.jpg

The upper of the two is a working "The Conway 50", which I assume makes it a Conway Stewart, whilst the other is a Pen-Cil-Scope, which acts as a two-in-one pencil and ballpoint pen, although only the pencil half is currently working. This I assume is American, as I have seen a 1951 F.A.O. Schwarz toy catalogue in which a sterling silver example, boxed, retailed for $6. The Conway is definitely a keeper for as long as I can find leads for it, the other and the cufflinks probably not, but interesting to have a good look at all the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80