Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What powder, foundation..

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
I just posted a list of my favorites over on the fair complexion thread so trying to avoid repeating the same reply though it fits here as well so you may want to take a look.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=1047029&postcount=46

In addition there are many who can not use Bare Minerals due to the Bismuth Oxide, which is a known allergen. I am one that has to be careful so use it sparingly but still usually result in a mild rash. I have found 2 companies that cover just as well but with a much larger selection of foundations and shades. BE is very warm. Go check out Lumiere Cosmetics and Meow Cosmetics both have mineral foundations that omit Bismuth and also foundations that contain it. I have tried all their varieties and they cover well and prefer them over BE. Lumiere is my favorite. They also offer sample sizes so you can try different formulations and shades to find the right one for you. they also offer foundation primers which helps the mineral powder glide on more smoothly so you avoid heavy spots.

There are time that I want want heavy coverage for photos and film. And times I rather a light coverage for day to day. I can do both with these foundations. If I need to conceal any blemish or dark circles from tiredness then I will use a bit of Ben Nye foundation in needed areas then come over it with mineral. But for film and photo you typically want to avoid mineral due to shine from the micas which I will come over with the Make Up Forever or Ben Nye setting powder I recommended to cover the shine from the minerals.

Anywho...GL!

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I love Olay's Total Effects UV Moisturizer & Touch of Foundation - perfect for those who want light coverage. It feels great and wears well. I also like L'oreal's Bare Naturale mineral foundation....it works well on its own or with the Olay foundation for a clean but finished look.

velvetongue

Familiar Face
I don't use foundation, but I do use sunscreen with moisturizer (Aveeno moisturizer, SPF 30) every day. During the summer I use Mac Studio Fix powder, applied with a light touch. I personally think less makeup is more, and too much foundation (especially for everyday wear) means that the skin won't be able to breathe.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
velvetongue said:
I don't use foundation, but I do use sunscreen with moisturizer (Aveeno moisturizer, SPF 30) every day. During the summer I use Mac Studio Fix powder, applied with a light touch. I personally think less makeup is more, and too much foundation (especially for everyday wear) means that the skin won't be able to breathe.

I wear sunscreen every day also, and the mineral powder I use has SPF 15. Even so...I just really hate the feel of sunscreen on my face...always feels heavy and, as you say, it feels like my face can't breathe.

How is the Aveeno moisturizer? Heavy?

Thanks
BD

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
HazelSmutCrunch said:
I also use the Aveeno and find it very light - not at all like you're wearing sunscreen. I was astonished the first time I tried it.

Ooh, thanks for letting me know - I'm going to try it. I currently use an Oil of Olay version, don't like it so much as it's greasy.

X
BD

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have to agree with the ladies that the aveeno sunscreen is great, having psoriasis and very oily skin, it is very light and non-greasy. I have to say i have recently bought Mac studio fix foundation and it is brilliant, as my skin has very yellow undertones and most other liquid foundations seem to be to pinky or way too dark for me. I can't use the bare escentuals powder foundation as it seemed to settle in all the lines and wrinkles and made my skin look really ashy, which is a shame.

Veronica

New in Town
I am a winter type : pale and pinky skin but brown bags under the eyes...

Foundation : liquid (Chanel Mat Lumière SPF15, color 02)
As I no longuer need my skin to be perfect everyday for work, I do not wear it anymore.

Powder : Loose Powder (Estée Lauder, So Ingenious, color 01)
It is enought for everyday make up and lasts much longuer than foundation.

Concealer : liquid, very covering (Lancome, Maquicomplet )
Makes wonders, I would'nt leave it at all costs !

I tried many many concealers and loose powders before finding the good color and texture... They are expensive but they work for me, I can have a professionnal result at home (But I wish I could find those in other brands because...arghhh ! so pricy !)

olive bleu

One Too Many
i switch between a liquid foundation for winter..and a powder for the summer.

The liquid foundation i use is by MARCELLE http://www.marcelle.com/Produits/Ma...-de-teint-hydratant-Moisture-Rich-Ivoire.aspx which at the moment is only available in Canada, so that's probably useless information...

In the hotter weather I have been using physicians formula organic wear loose powder in translucent light. I can't say enough about this product.it never looks like I'm wearing makeup and it is so comfortable. Great for people like me that have very sensitive skin.

http://www.physiciansformula.com/bigimage.aspx?path=Upload/en-US/ProductFeature/02140.jpg

Julius8122

New in Town
I have pale, blemish prone, tempermental skin. In the winter I use Sephora's brand of liquid foundation. It isn't heavy, doesn't cause break outs, and lasts forever. In the summer, I use Physician's Formula 100% Organic Tinted Moisturizer - unfortunately, they have discontinued it so I'll be searching again for a new product come warm weather. For powder, I use Mineral Veil by Physician's Formula in the summer and Bare Escentual's Mineral Veil in winter. PF's veil is too light in coverage for me in the winter.

My grandmother always used rice flour for her powder. Maybe that's an option for those with allergies.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Just switched to Illamasqua from MAC.
I was getting fed up with MAC for the follwing reasons:
-They bring out limited editions every month and it's getting too gimiky
-Thier colours are a tad on the muted side, too murky- not 'clean'
-Thier skin colour range is rubbish- i'm tired of mixing shades
- They just stopped public access to the pro site so I can't order any new pro products (which are not that good actually anyway)

I was matched to the shade 115 at Illamasqua (very light with neutral undertones) and it's perfect- it was a tie with Nars Siberia though. I got the rich liquid foundatioin, the loose and pressed powder and the under eye concealer. I'm planning on the light foundation, the spot concealer, the satin primer (the matte one was too dry for the foudnation) and the gleam cream next.

The only problem I'm having is getting the texture of the rich foundation to work for me as it can be a little dry and chalky- but i hear that once you get your technique sorted the it's fantastic.

Thanks to Miss Hannah for suggesting this brand to me.

I also bought 2 Max Factor pan cake foundations in 102 (lightest with pink undertones) and Coty airspun powder in translucent and translucent extra cover coverage but the colours were too dark for me- if anyone is interested in buying or swapping them with me plesae leave me a message. (I think I'd like to keep one Coty box because it's so pretty though-but not the contents.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I'm part latina, so it's very hard for me to find the perfect foundatin,etc. that matches up perfectly with my skin tone. I would love to think that perfect shade is out there somewhere but I'm having a hard time believing that it is. I also have the problem with getting a tan over the summer months since I tan very easy but my face doesn't keep the tan as well as the rest of my body. I recently found that MAC has been working for me the best. I swicthed from Revlon to MAC's Studio Fix C4 for the winter months. I use MAC's Bronzing Powder in Refined Golden in the summer and mix to two shades for the in between months. Foundation I stick with Cargo, it has mosturizer and SPF in it! #love!

Drappa

One Too Many
I don't wear foundation every day, as my skin cleared up from adult acne, but I wear Benefit's Georgia powder every day and love it so much, I'll never give it up! It doesn't actually make me look peachy in colour, but seems to blend in perfectly unlike other powders, and works just as well over foundation. If I wear foundation it used to be Chanel Pro Lumiere. After I tried it for my wedding I fell in love with it, but it is pricey. I also recently discovered Estee Lauder Double Wear at the airport and the colour I tried was an instant match, so I am using that now, but it is fairly heavy, so I don't use it all over.
I've tried the Bare Escentuals veil a while back, but absolutely hated it as some of it just ends up on the floor and furniture, it was sparkly, and I found it impossible to apply evenly, but that's probably just me.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I really want to try the Coty Airspun Powder, but I'm just curious, what's the difference between the skin tone and the translucent powders? Is the translucent extra thick or something?

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
Once upon a time....I had the perfect foundation, colour, texture, coverage, everything....then they changed the formula....Revlon ultima II in the 90's was beautiful, it went on so lightly and almost like powder, then it changed and it felt like you were wearing concrete. Hehehehe I went round to every supplier in the area buying up my colour that they had left, but it did run out eventually

I have been using mineral foundations for a while now....still mixing different colours to get the right shade for me lol. I've never used a primer under mineral foundation...should I and if so what should I use?

HopeB

New in Town
Coty Airspun

I love Coty Airspun. My mother wore it when I was little, so I associate the scent with being grown up. It's supposedly Coty's original '20s fragrance L'Origan. I use it over a yellow-tinted concealer and I'm done. Sometimes I wear Airspun just for the smell, I like it so much. Which probably means I should look for a bottle of L'Origan.... :)

If I want heavier coverage, I use one of the L'Oreal mineral powders--Bare Naturelle in Rose Translucent (a light, light shell pink) or Nude Beige.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I really want to try the Coty Airspun Powder, but I'm just curious, what's the difference between the skin tone and the translucent powders? Is the translucent extra thick or something?

I have the same question...what color is the lightest in the Coty Airspun? I'm used to just going for "translucent" but I saw a color chart that just left me confused. If you have really fair skin (with pink undertone), could you please share what works for you?

zombi

A-List Customer
I have the same question...what color is the lightest in the Coty Airspun? I'm used to just going for "translucent" but I saw a color chart that just left me confused. If you have really fair skin (with pink undertone), could you please share what works for you?
Oh, I want to know this, too! I was just looking at the Airspun online the other day -- and I wondered what the difference is between light and translucent. When I see the colour charts online the translucent looks awful dark, but I wonder if it is?

I've not seen Coty Airspun in a store in person pretty much ever, so I don't know where I can go to try it on or anything.

Last edited:

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi Gals

I've got the translucent and the translucent extra coverage. I have'nt tried them on my skin as I find the scent really off-putting- i hate baby powder, rose or lavender type scents- much more of a herbal/ spicy scent type of gal. I'll have a go at them and report back. They look more yellow in the tub than I'd like as I'm more neutral/pink toned.

zombi

A-List Customer
I learned via the wonders of Google that CVS Pharmacy here in the US sells Coty Airspun powder. So, today I went by the see them -- and they were out of the neutral one, which appears to me to be the lightest on the online colour chart. So, I took a look at the translucent, and decided to purchase it. I just applied some and it seems to look just fine!

I am a very fair skinned gal, green eyes & strawberry-ish blonde naturally, if that helps others wondering about the colour at all. Typically foundations and powders look either too orange or too pink on my skin, which is a very neutral shade.

It really is a very soft and nice-feeling powder. I quite like it, much more than I liked the pressed powder I used to wear. It's on par with the MAC matte powder I used to use, but it costs less (and matches my face a little better)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner