Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What T-shirt alternative am I overlooking?

Beast

New in Town
Thanks to the blessing of IT-work and no AC it tends to get both hot and cold at work due to drafts. I normally am able to wear a t-shirt in the heat (generally temps are 21 celcius+, 69.8 degrees in American) but as winter is closing in on us, it tends to get drafty. Long sleeves tend to stretch out, a button down shirt needs an undershirt but allows for easy sleave adjustment... and can quickly run too warm.

Surely there must be some garment that allows for easy sleeve adjustment without stretching them out, does not have button holes so no skin will peep out and is simply one layer of upper bodywear? What am I overlooking?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A V-neck sleeveless T-shirt. The V shape will allow you to unbutton your shirt without showing your T-shirt and being sleeveless won't hinder sleeve movement. One drawback, when it's hot a T-shirt with short sleeves will absorb any sweat so that you don't have embarrassing underarm staines, a sleeveless one can't do that.

Beast

New in Town
Thank you for your reply, but if I understand you correctly that would still mean two layers of clothing. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Perhaps I can best describe what I'm looking for as a henly with shirt cuffs or a shirt that allows the buttons to be closed in such a way that no undershirt is needed.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wear henley, and if I'm cold I always have at least a sweatshirt with me. A plain, unprinted, unhooded one can look not-too-casual in a space where t-shirts, henleys, and collared polos are okay.

I rode motorcycles for over 30 years. I have learned that layering is the way to go. One garment rarely does it all.

Beast

New in Town
I get it. Any suggestions for heat wicking undershirts or low maintenance "casual" shirts (like flannel) that can be worn in those near tropical temperatures :) that I have to cope with?

MondoFW

Practically Family
As others said, a long sleeve polo would be a smart, comfortable alternative. Simon James Cathcart sells high quality long sleeve polos (with a fashionable spearpoint collar) at a decent price, check them out. They also look good with a tie because of the collar shape.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Yes, I do have a suggestion.

Short sleeve Dickies work shirts. I own at least five of them, my dear old Mother has asked me to stop wearing them everywhere. In other parlance they might be called a safari shirt. Or a casual shirt. They do not need to be ironed, they are cheap (under thirty dollars), they are stain resistant, and I wear them year round. There is also a long sleeved shirt which can be used to fill the void when it gets cold out.

If you are in IT, you will appreciate the added benefit that they have no elbows to rub through and fray on a desktop. If you can find a good source (I use a local shop, but Walmart also carries them) I'd suggest you buy one and try it out.

Dickies are an American classic, probably made abroad, but the design hasn't changed in years.

Mondo, are you suggesting one should wear a tie with a l/s polo shirt? In my experience as a polo shirts has very few buttons, it is an extremely casual shirt. Perhaps we're confusing a polo shirt with an OCBD?

C.

Beast

New in Town
Dickies tends to be a tad more expensive on this side of the ocean (greetings from the Netherlands!) But I've checked out the safari shirt you mentioned and that appears to be spot on: light fabric so it can be worn with a t-shirt, sleeves easily adjustable, relaxed fit. And should fit in nicely with my casual style of dressing. Amazon even suggests BDU shirts, but that would be taking it one step too far, wouldn't it?

Thank you Canadian, for an excellent suggestion that will surely fill a gap in my wardrobe!

Edward

Bartender
I get it. Any suggestions for heat wicking undershirts or low maintenance "casual" shirts (like flannel) that can be worn in those near tropical temperatures :) that I have to cope with?

I wear a basic cotton undershirt year round, in 'T' or 'A' shape and it does just fine. Two for about ten dollars, equivalent, in my local supermarket. (Sainsburys TU clothing - I think its eight pounds for the T, maybe slightly lower for two A style).

Mondo, are you suggesting one should wear a tie with a l/s polo shirt? In my experience as a polo shirts has very few buttons, it is an extremely casual shirt. Perhaps we're confusing a polo shirt with an OCBD?

Nope, they're a bamboo-fabric, two-button, 30s style polo shirt, long sleeve, with a spearpoint collar. There are two designs - the Oviatt style with three buttons and loops wouldn't work with a tie, but the standard two-button is very commonly worn with a tie by Simon's vintage oriented customers. Course, you're talking about a bunch of us who do wear a tie casually (different mindset than many on TFL outerwear). Looks fine, great in Winter when the bamboo shirt is warmer than the average. Asdie from ther being nowhere lower-down to stick a tie clip to the shirt, most people don't notice the difference between that and a regular shirt. I've even worn a cravat with one (am doing so today, as it happens).

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I do have a suggestion.

Short sleeve Dickies work shirts. I own at least five of them, my dear old Mother has asked me to stop wearing them everywhere. In other parlance they might be called a safari shirt. Or a casual shirt. They do not need to be ironed, they are cheap (under thirty dollars), they are stain resistant, and I wear them year round. There is also a long sleeved shirt which can be used to fill the void when it gets cold out.

If you are in IT, you will appreciate the added benefit that they have no elbows to rub through and fray on a desktop. If you can find a good source (I use a local shop, but Walmart also carries them) I'd suggest you buy one and try it out.

Dickies are an American classic, probably made abroad, but the design hasn't changed in years.

C.

Great suggestion. I have a few Carhartt work shirts that I swear by.

Edward

Bartender
Carhartt and Dickies are two brands I wish we could get here in the way they are in the US (all too often here the prices are severely inflated as tey are "fashion" rather than "workclothes").

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As others said, a long sleeve polo would be a smart, comfortable alternative. Simon James Cathcart sells high quality long sleeve polos (with a fashionable spearpoint collar) at a decent price, check them out. They also look good with a tie because of the collar shape.

Have gone down the SJC route myself..quality polos :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko