Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time period would you live in, and where, if you had to for one year?

What time period would you live in?

• Total voters
They're very few and far between. Seems like some of the rural thrift shops have some that must have belonged to more conservative men of the decade. They're larger than today's collars, but not so far out as what typically comes to mind in seventies menswear.

They made collars like that?! I didn't see any then.....:doh:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
HaHaHa:D Looks like I started something voting for the 1970s even if they were not included in the original poll. Long live the 70s with its flamboyant is sometimes questionable clothing, it was all part of the times.
In the UK during the 1945 to 1950 years we were just coming to terms with end of the war. Rationing of things only fully ended in 1954 and certain manufactured goods were for export before the home market.
By the 1960s bomb sites were being cleared and new homes built though not always in the old style terraces etc, and for many years after there were still people in certain areas living in pre-fabricated housing built in the immediate post war period. New towns were being built all over and many of the bombed out residents moved to these area's as did a lot of city based engineering firms(I pick on Basildon in Essex as I lived there from 1964 to the mid 1980s)
Then we reach the 1970s! Most but not all of the housing had been sorted, jobs were plentiful (I had a choice of two apprenticeships) and most families had what were considered luxuries such as colour TVs, cars and telephones. Life was good.
In the USA post war, everything was different from from the start so to speak. So a few dodgy shirt designs and some funny music genres are really not that important to me but add to what make the 1970s a time to remember fondly .
By the mid 80s to me, it had all started to go wrong. Some of our own fault but generally the world was slowly changing and our own greed[the so called developed world] was responsible. And look where we are now!

So I will finish but one last call! Anymore for the late 1960s to the mid 70s:cool:
Johnny T

newsman

One of the Regulars
I was once finger printing a woman for some mundane reason. Anyway as she was leaving the department she looked at me and said something to the affect of, "I think you enjoyed the 1940s."

Ok, that was an odd thing to say. Later I found out from my Lt. that she was a "clairvoyant" and she had been used by the department twice as well as by the FBI. I don't know about her abilities but she had seemed to have some answers...and did help find at least one missing person's body...even if I think she could have done it by using just logic.

Anyway. I have always had a thing for the time between about 1930 and 47.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Except that moustache. That is outstanding.

Groucho.jpg

It's been done.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I dunno man:

I like the design of the shirt, but not the print.
The collar reminds me of the shirts Elvis wore, and yes even though I question his "awareness" in this period, his clothier was always right on fashion...Mr. Lansky.

No the energy crisis was not fun, for any country. Here it was cold in the winter (at least in our house) and hot in the summer. Box fans and Arvin heaters, I remember it well.

Last edited:
I like the design of the shirt, but not the print.
The collar reminds me of the shirts Elvis wore, and yes even though I question his "awareness" in this period, his clothier was always right on fashion...Mr. Lansky.

No the energy crisis was not fun, for any country. Here it was cold in the winter (at least in our house) and hot in the summer. Box fans and Arvin heaters, I remember it well.
Arvin? Those were cheap. We used Titans. :p
spaceheater.JPG
I still use it for my summer house in winter. I bought two more over the years too. I lost the knob on one and picked up another at the local Appliance Parts Distributor---$5 for two. :p There is no excuse for that shirt. It is out and out ugly. :rofl: The 70s at their nastiest. :doh:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Arvin? Those were cheap. We used Titans. :p
spaceheater.JPG
I still use it for my summer house in winter. I bought two more over the years too. I lost the knob on one and picked up another at the local Appliance Parts Distributor---$5 for two. :p There is no excuse for that shirt. It is out and out ugly. :rofl: The 70s at their nastiest. :doh:
I agree with THAT shirt, absolutely.
His mother shouldn't have let him out of the house wearing that.
Yeah, Arvin was cheap but it was what we bought at Sears, or Service Merchandise.
Similar to this...
arvin.jpg
We had a fireplace and would block off the den to keep the heat in. Worked quite well actually, but a wood stove would have been better.

I agree with THAT shirt, absolutely.
His mother shouldn't have let him out of the house wearing that.
Yeah, Arvin was cheap but it was what we bought at Sears, or Service Merchandise.
Similar to this...
View attachment 4317
We had a fireplace and would block off the den to keep the heat in. Worked quite well actually, but a wood stove would have been better.
The fireplace was the best! Now the morons around here don't want you to use it. I use it anyway. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The fireplace was the best! Now the morons around here don't want you to use it. I use it anyway. :p
I use it. I'm about to procure a half cord (splitting the other half with a coworker) of pecan wood.
If we have a cold winter, I burn it.
If we don't, I cook with it.
Works out either way. :D
Mine was wood, then gas, then back to wood again.

I use it. I'm about to procure a half cord (splitting the other half with a coworker) of pecan wood.
If we have a cold winter, I burn it.
If we don't, I cook with it.
Works out either way. :D
Mine was wood, then gas, then back to wood again.
I am cutting back my cherry tree because several limbs kicked off. I have the same idea with the Cherry wood. I have a container full already. I am sure I will get another one or two out of it. :p I won't even mention the Walnut tree, Plum tree or the Tangerine trees. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Similar to this...
View attachment 4317

We had that exact heater in the bathroom, under the sink -- the heat from the kitchen stove didn't reach that far, and in the mornings there was sometimes frost on the medicine-cabinet mirror, so you'd reach your arm in, turn on the wall switch and wait till the heater heated up before going in to do your business. It made a clanking noise, like a pencil sharpener, as it heated -- haven't thought of that in years, but that picture brings it all back.

I think we got it with Top Value Stamps or some such -- it was cheap, but it lasted a very long time.

We had that exact heater in the bathroom, under the sink -- the heat from the kitchen stove didn't reach that far, and in the mornings there was sometimes frost on the medicine-cabinet mirror, so you'd reach your arm in, turn on the wall switch and wait till the heater heated up before going in to do your business. It made a clanking noise, like a pencil sharpener, as it heated -- haven't thought of that in years, but that picture brings it all back.

I think we got it with Top Value Stamps or some such -- it was cheap, but it lasted a very long time.
I still have my father's Titan. The only thing that went on it was the cord due to dry rot. :p A new cord and she works like new. :D I also grease the fan once in a while.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up

I remember that clanking noise. :D Probably loose screws rumbling around in each model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana