Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time period would you live in, and where, if you had to for one year?

What time period would you live in?

• Total voters

Flicka

One Too Many
1929-39. It was a fascinating era; visually pleasing and politically mad. Also, I'd like to see the world before it was ruined by war and the post-war mass consumer culture. It wasn't necessarily a good world, but it held the promise of something far better than what came. Plus, did I mention it was visually pleasing? :D

I'd choose either Stockholm or London. Or Oxford, maybe.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
'29 to '39, music, art and fashion in the ascendancy during this period. Part of me is tempted by the 58 to 68, purely for the day-glo music/pop culture, too.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wartime, as in, WW2. It would be worth the risk just to meet Maureen Dunlop. The lady who first flew Spitfires.
And set many a pilot's heart racing.

DesertDan

One Too Many
The period between the wars '29 - '39, it was the Golden Era of aviation which I would have loved to have been involved in, and there were still some blank spaces left on the map.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I may have already voted, although I can't find my statement.
1950-59 would be a great time where I live, or LA either way.
The fashions, the cars, the music, it was all there.
Where I live, there is a little music studio nearby that became an icon...Sun Studios.
Plus like Tom said, "knowing what I know now I could have made a fortune" selling river front property. :D
Safer is the word I see used a lot here.
Pride in community is also one I'd throw out.

Edward

Bartender
45-50, of the available choices, though if there had been an 'other' option, I'd go for the postwar decade: 45-55. All the best style, and the birth of rock and roll. To see Elvis would be a dream... Also, in that decade, I could spend time in London - plenty of Irish there in those days (some pubs would even serve my kind), involved in the post-war reconstruction. My great uncle was one of them. Easy to find work as a navvy if needsbe.

Ok I'll go for the 14-18 period, 1915 to be precise so I could hopefully help or even avert the deaths of my two great, great uncles who died on the 5th and 14th November that year in Belgium whilst serving with The Sherwood Foresters, the results of their deaths plagued my grandfather's close family of that time in many,many ways for years.

Now there's a point... a great, great uncle of mine joined up in 1915, at the age of fourteen. I'd like to take a heavy bat to the officer who turned a blind eye to the fact that he was blatantly underage.

I voted '29-'39.

I would live in a rose-tinted-spectacle factory. I would gather the product, and hope to live until the period 2000-2013. I'd make a mint, I tell's ya!

You're not wrong there... ;)

fashion frank

One Too Many
It would be 1929 to 1939 ,

If I had to pick a certain year it would be 1938 to 1939 .

The market crash was behind the country, things were starting to pick up again,swing was in ,the war had not started yet ,fashion was at a high point. and booze was legal.

The irony in all of this is we all wish we could all in a " better " era in terms of how screwed up this present era seems to be , but here we are sitting at a computer and talking about it .

I went to Disney a few weeks back and they had this "ride" where you sat in a revolving theater and it went "around" all of the era's with the same family in each of the era's from the 1920's to today and when you realize all of the creature comforts that we have today that we take for granted , it makes one side of your brain say's " who the hell would want to have to live like that " (ie:no creature comforts) while the other half of your brain say's " boy I wish I could have lived in a simpler time like that "

So go figure???

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

P.S. I also noticed that 1929 to 1939 seem to be the most popular at present

Last edited:
45-50, of the available choices, though if there had been an 'other' option, I'd go for the postwar decade: 45-55. All the best style, and the birth of rock and roll. To see Elvis would be a dream... Also, in that decade, I could spend time in London - plenty of Irish there in those days (some pubs would even serve my kind), involved in the post-war reconstruction. My great uncle was one of them. Easy to find work as a navvy if needsbe.
I am with you on that time period. Not in the same geography but it would work out fine for me. Knowing what I know now, a small amount of money could go a loooonnnggg way. :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It would be 1929 to 1939 ,

If I had to pick a certain year it would be 1938 to 1939 .

The market crash was behind the country, things were starting to pick up again,swing was in ,the war had not started yet ,fashion was at a high point. and booze was legal.

The irony in all of this is we all wish we could all in a " better " era in terms of how screwed up this present era seems to be , but here we are sitting at a computer and talking about it .

I went to Disney a few weeks back and they had this "ride" where you sat in a revolving theater and it went "around" all of the era's with the same family in each of the era's from the 1920's to today and when you realize all of the creature comforts that we have today that we take for granted , it makes one side of your brain say's " who the hell would want to have to live like that " (ie:no creature comforts) while the other half of your brain say's " boy I wish I could have lived in a simpler time like that "

So go figure???

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

P.S. I also noticed that 1929 to 1939 seem to be the most popular at present

Carousel of Progress.
I rode that ride twice, once in 1977 and once in 1988.
Wonderful presentation of progress, and I agree that some of the earlier scenes are more desirable than the later ones filled with all the technology and noise.
Of every ride in the park, that was one of my favorites. :D

vintageTink

One Too Many
1945-1950. War over, awesome tv, music, fashion, autos, architecture hadn't been torn down and replaced with crap.

Where? I don't know. Maybe Florida. See LA and Detroit before they became the way they are now.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I wouldn't mine any of the time periods, they all have their own attractions --especially if I could take my current income with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy