Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

alexeberlin

New in Town
SPECTRE..4/10 ( and that is generous).
Overly long, poorly paced and with no sense of threat to Bond, the film is derailed by a "plot twist" of the nature of the relationship between Bond and Blofeld that is so moronic, it is impossible for the film to recover.
Bellucci is barely in the movie, nor is Waltz. Thomas Newman's score is lazy beyond words.
Not sure if I should go into further detail as I don't know the site's policy on spoilers,
Wait for the dvd.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Digging thru a box of VHS cassettes taped off TV in the '90s, I found "Cold Turkey" (1971), perhaps the most lacerating satire on the Boys From Marketing ever made. The story revolves around a sleazy advertising executive -- played by Bob Newhart -- who, as a publicity gimmick, convinces a tobacco tycoon to offer 25 million dollars to any town that can get every resident to quit smoking -- confident that due to the addictive nature of his product, this would be impossible to accomplish. In one small town, a crusading minister -- played by Dick Van Dyke -- takes up the challenge and when it looks like he's going to succeed, the ad agency resorts to all manner of manipulation to get the townspeople to backslide.

The description doesn't do the picture justice. It's stocked full of major comedy talent -- everyone from Bob and Ray, who appear as a series of befuddled news broadcasters to Edward Everett Horton, in his last film role, as the doddering tobacco magnate. And it was written and directed by Norman Lear, just prior to his breakthru with "All In The Family." Why this picture isn't better known is beyond me, it's absolutely brilliant.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Digging thru a box of VHS cassettes taped off TV in the '90s, I found "Cold Turkey" (1971), perhaps the most lacerating satire on the Boys From Marketing ever made. The story revolves around a sleazy advertising executive -- played by Bob Newhart -- who, as a publicity gimmick, convinces a tobacco tycoon to offer 25 million dollars to any town that can get every resident to quit smoking -- confident that due to the addictive nature of his product, this would be impossible to accomplish. In one small town, a crusading minister -- played by Dick Van Dyke -- takes up the challenge and when it looks like he's going to succeed, the ad agency resorts to all manner of manipulation to get the townspeople to backslide.

The description doesn't do the picture justice. It's stocked full of major comedy talent -- everyone from Bob and Ray, who appear as a series of befuddled news broadcasters to Edward Everett Horton, in his last film role, as the doddering tobacco magnate. And it was written and directed by Norman Lear, just prior to his breakthru with "All In The Family." Why this picture isn't better known is beyond me, it's absolutely brilliant.
My Grandmother had a bit part in that film! She just brazenly walked right through the set. The director asked her why would she walk right through, she just said, "well, I needed to get over here, now didn't I!" They left her in.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
The Maze sequel

now I'm not sure if I just saw a sequel of Hunger Games, or Divergent, or The Maze
they all look the same, equally pointless, can all be fused into one catastrophic mashup and no one would even realize...:confused:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I watched most of Guardians of the Galaxy the other night. I had to call it quits right before the final battle scene, owing to the effects of two gravols in very heavy seas.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Finished Male and Female a bit ago and it was FANTASTIC. Never knew how great the silent pictures were.

I'm a HUGE silent film fan. Will have to look this one up. I tell people all the time that I have to go all the way back to the 20's to find good entertainment.

The Maze sequel

now I'm not sure if I just saw a sequel of Hunger Games, or Divergent, or The Maze
they all look the same, equally pointless, can all be fused into one catastrophic mashup and no one would even realize...:confused:

^ Agree with you 100%. It's all the same. lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Final Girls" - B+ - An amazing little film send up of teen lust slasher movies of the 80's. Extremely well written, well acted and funny as hell! I rented it on M-Go but it should be on Netflix fairly soon. We were in tears!

Worf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
China Seas with Gable, Harlow, Beery, and Andy Hardy's dad. Robert Benchley had a small part, but his non sequitur dialogue is hilarious. Rosalind Russell is the polar opposite of Harlow's and they both have a history with Gable, captain of China steamer. The dialogue is pure 1930s, snappy, full of slang, and delivered at top speed. My wife didn't agree with Clark's decision at the end of the story...
...and, Yes, I remember Cold Turkey from seeing it in the theater. Biting,with memorable characters, and striking visuals.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Django(Franco Nero). Completely ridiculous storyline and gunplay.
Though the sets are in Italy and Spain these old spaghetti westerns seem just a little more real than most of the 1950s scenes with their sheriffs, in smartly ironed shirts, nice pleasant sidewalks, perfectly coiffed 'saloon girls'.
Reading a few books on the old west of the pioneers and Gold mining days, the mud strewn streets and wanton death at the end of a revolver don't appear that far fetched.
Best scenes: Django and his coffin, the prostitutes fight in the mud, and just how light is a sack full of gold? Did that gatlin gun ever run out of bullets, I'm sure it would have jammed.
Great fun though

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The thing to understand about Django Unchained, and indeed most Quentin Tarantino movies is that Tarantino thrives on the over the top. The ridiculousness of his movies is his trademark, and is what makes his movies so enjoyable from a satirical point of view.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Sorry Bushman, not seen that version. Is that the modern remake? I doubt you could get more over the top than this version from 1966 hanging on to the shirt tails of Fistfull of Dollars, more Dollars and Good Bad and Ugly.

"Aliens" (1986), from normal DVD. Still a great action-movie. Paul Reiser's "Burke", that smart ba***rd and Michael Biehn as the cool Corporal Hicks. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot