Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Definitely, it's such an interesting movie...and Vincent is captivating as usual. :) That sounds like a fun evening. Have you seen the sequel?
X
BD

I love the fact that despite the tongue in cheek tone, it has real atmosphere. There are scenes shot early in the morning in Highgate Cemetry that are really beautiful, as is the one in the park when they find one of Phibe's victims frozen to death in the back of his Rolls Royce. It's frosty, foggy, beautifully lit and really creepy! My favourite scene though has to be the police unscrewing the unfortunate Dr Whitcombe from the wall of his club...

I have seen the sequel too. I don't think it's quite as good, but is still prety good fun. I love the scene with Terry-Thomas: "We're looking for a madman." "Well you've bloody well found one!"

Some of my friends will be seeing Dr Phibes for the first time - I'm not sure they know what they're letting themselves in for to be honest! :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Topkapi (1964)

Caper movies...a good one is great; a not-so-good one is still okay. I'm not sure where I'd put Topkapi. The premise - loose international gang steals a jeweled dagger from the Sultans' palace - isn't bad, and there are some clever twists and plenty of Turkish and Greek atmosphere. Yes it's a bit slow, but so was the original Ocean's 11.
3950633140_39be8c7892.jpg

Peter Ustinov is just right as the British moax who's recruited first by the gang, then by the Turkish police. But the whole thing seems to center about Melina Mercouri, who is some sort of aging, jewel-obsessed nymphomaniac. Like a Greek Joan Crawford, she's somewhere along a blurry line between sexy and creepy. She puts you off balance. I think the movie's the better for her.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Saw most of Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. It's set at Christmas, but it could happen over Millard Fillmore Day and be the same.

Not to offend anyone, but there were four of us watching HA2 and we didn't laugh but a couple of times. I didn't find it enjoyable.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Movie watching kicking into gear around the Hood house: last night the CGI A Christmas Carol with the voice of Jim Carrey. Pleased that it followed the book a great deal, as well as some nods to the 1951 Alastair Sim version. I thought the grand staircase in Scrooge's house was homage to the stairs in GWTW.
Parts were a little too dark- and yes, it's a dark story- but a little weird for weird's sake. Rent, don't buy.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Tourist

I'll overlook the rather thin plot to watch the exquisitely outfitted Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp romp around a spectacularly shot Venice. This flick shows Venice better that any I've ever seen so if you think you may not ever make it there in person, see this one on the big screen.

[video=youtube;9iXHDFqI7qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iXHDFqI7qk[/video]

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I love the fact that despite the tongue in cheek tone, it has real atmosphere. There are scenes shot early in the morning in Highgate Cemetry that are really beautiful, as is the one in the park when they find one of Phibe's victims frozen to death in the back of his Rolls Royce. It's frosty, foggy, beautifully lit and really creepy! My favourite scene though has to be the police unscrewing the unfortunate Dr Whitcombe from the wall of his club...

I have seen the sequel too. I don't think it's quite as good, but is still prety good fun. I love the scene with Terry-Thomas: "We're looking for a madman." "Well you've bloody well found one!"

Some of my friends will be seeing Dr Phibes for the first time - I'm not sure they know what they're letting themselves in for to be honest! :D

Hi Doc,

I love the atmosphere in that film, and the humour. Too funny unscrewing the Dr. off the unicorn! *lol* The looks on the inspectors faces after it just happened. Classic.

I agree about the outdoor scenes in the park and even the shots of Dr. Phibes mansion. Reminds me of the atmosphere often captured in The Avengers series. I saw the Dr. Phibes sequel….sadly, it didn’t have much in terms of atmosphere (or plot). However, it was entertaining if incoherent!

X
BD

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Hi Doc,

I love the atmosphere in that film, and the humour. Too funny unscrewing the Dr. off the unicorn! *lol* The looks on the inspectors faces after it just happened. Classic.

I agree about the outdoor scenes in the park and even the shots of Dr. Phibes mansion. Reminds me of the atmosphere often captured in The Avengers series.

"I think it's a left-hand thread!":D

[video=youtube;Qw7Obc5y2yA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7Obc5y2yA[/video]

The director, Robert Fuest, was a designer on The Avengers. The running joke of the two coppers turning up just after the bizarre murders is definitely very Avengers.

My Dr Phibes night has been postponed until next Monday now - and it'll only be me and another die-hard Phibes fan, but I don't care!

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I'll overlook the rather thin plot to watch the exquisitely outfitted Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp romp around a spectacularly shot Venice. This flick shows Venice better that any I've ever seen so if you think you may not ever make it there in person, see this one on the big screen.

No real desire to see this movie but I was drooling over Angelina's wardrobe in this - her strolling along in that divine black suit - even the simple sweater she has on is fabulous.....

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Just watched the 1940 sleeper "Second Chorus" with Fred Astaire and Paulette Goddard--great movie, not a particularly big hit in its day. Wonderful scenes with Artie Shaw who plays himself in the movie--this seems to have been to Artie Shaw what "Sun Valley Serenade" and "Orchestra Wives" were to Glenn Miller. Burgess meredith wears some crazy hats in it!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up

I think I've got the plot fairly figured out from the trailers alone. I'd like to see it for the visuals of clothing & scenery really. Most likely will catch this one on DVD. Not much money these days to go to the theaters.

Cheers!

Dan

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I was drooling over Angelina's wardrobe in this -
They also upped the sartorial game of most all the other women (and men) in the film as well. I suppose they couldn't have her floating around dressed to the nines in a sea of t-shirts and jeans. And, her jewelry was exquisite as well. Here's a short interview with the costumer, Colleen Atwood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner