Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
:lol: Hardly thought anyone would notice. This is the angst ridden Shemp,..reflects my current mood maybe? Anyhow, just found this pic so I had to share. :)
But back to the movies,...recently watched Juno Beach, a sort of dramatized documentary about the Canadian landings on D-day. Pretty good actually.
I agree. And what happened to Shemp in the "Brideless Groom" photo??

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I had just finished watching Il Deserto dei Tartari, or The Desert of the Tartars. It stars Jaques Perrin, Giuliano Gemma, and Max Von Sydow, among others, and the acting was very well done here, accompanied by Ennio Morricone's excellent soundtrack. I thought this was an interesting film. It starts in the year 1907, and is about a soldier under the service of a fictional European empire, likely a composite of the Italian and Austrian-Hungarian kingdoms (because of both Italian, Germanic, and Slavic names of characters). The soldier, Drogo, had recently entered the service as a Lieutenant, and is eager to make his destination, the Bastiano fort along the desert frontier (probably in Central Asia, as these scenes were filmed in Iran). This desert serves as a natural border between Drogo's empire, and what is referred to as the "Northern Kingdom," inferred to be the Tartars that are eventually expected to strike the fort. Years, perhaps even decades pass, and through this time, gradual changes in command occur, with Drogo eventually rising in rank to Captain towards the latter quarter of the film. In the end, Drogo, despite being eager to face against the Tartar horde during his military service, is honorably discharged to retire at the end, right at the very moment that the Tartars happen to be heading towards Fort Bastiano itself. The film essentially ends with Drogo an old man, regretful that he can not stay to join his forces against them, and fulfill his obligation to fight the Tartars, having expected action against them all of his life. He is whisked away in a carriage, and secretly sent back to the city from which he had come.

I'm sorry if I gave away too much, but it was a wonderful film, the deep philosophical sort; it was thought provoking. I may end up getting Dino Buzzati's book that inspired the film, as well.

Esme

One of the Regulars
Green Lantern was better than The Green Hornet.
I thought Hannah was quite good.
The last movie I watched (yesterday) was Songcatcher about a professor of musicology (I think it was) who was the first to realize importance of the folk songs of the Appalacians. She traveled around collecting folk songs on wax cylinder records and writing them down for future study. Oh, I would have loved doing something like that!
The movie featured songs by Emmy Rossum, Emmylou Harris, Iris Dement and Dolly Parton, among others. It was very very good.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree, Songcatcher is a very charming little flick. Even better if you have an interest in the old ballads - which I do.

I just looked at the film's Wiki page, and while it is fictional, it's loosely based on real people and events - the collecting and publishing of English Folk Songs from the Southern Appalachians by Cecil Sharp and Olive Campbell (1917).

Green Lantern was better than The Green Hornet.
I thought Hannah was quite good.
The last movie I watched (yesterday) was Songcatcher about a professor of musicology (I think it was) who was the first to realize importance of the folk songs of the Appalacians. She traveled around collecting folk songs on wax cylinder records and writing them down for future study. Oh, I would have loved doing something like that!
The movie featured songs by Emmy Rossum, Emmylou Harris, Iris Dement and Dolly Parton, among others. It was very very good.

I'd love to see Songcatcher! Must look for it!
ThankYou Esme
HD

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Vivacious Lady (1938) with Ginger Rogers, James Stewart, and a host of others. Ginger get top billing, with Jimmy at number two on the list. Evidently this story provided the germ of the idea for Ball of Fire later on.

Associate professor Jimmy, who is the son of the university president (Charles Coburn), is linked to Ginger, and the fear of scandalizing staid family leads them to go under the radar. Some parts are strained, and Ginger has to play a night club performer who becomes a pouty adolescent in some scenes. There is some great snappy dialogue and good laughs. Franklin Pangborn does his shtick and steals the scenes he's in.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I had just finished watching Il Deserto dei Tartari, or The Desert of the Tartars. It stars Jaques Perrin, Giuliano Gemma, and Max Von Sydow, among others, and the acting was very well done here, accompanied by Ennio Morricone's excellent soundtrack. I thought this was an interesting film. It starts in the year 1907, and is about a soldier under the service of a fictional European empire, likely a composite of the Italian and Austrian-Hungarian kingdoms (because of both Italian, Germanic, and Slavic names of characters). The soldier, Drogo, had recently entered the service as a Lieutenant, and is eager to make his destination, the Bastiano fort along the desert frontier (probably in Central Asia, as these scenes were filmed in Iran). This desert serves as a natural border between Drogo's empire, and what is referred to as the "Northern Kingdom," inferred to be the Tartars that are eventually expected to strike the fort. Years, perhaps even decades pass, and through this time, gradual changes in command occur, with Drogo eventually rising in rank to Captain towards the latter quarter of the film. In the end, Drogo, despite being eager to face against the Tartar horde during his military service, is honorably discharged to retire at the end, right at the very moment that the Tartars happen to be heading towards Fort Bastiano itself. The film essentially ends with Drogo an old man, regretful that he can not stay to join his forces against them, and fulfill his obligation to fight the Tartars, having expected action against them all of his life. He is whisked away in a carriage, and secretly sent back to the city from which he had come.

I'm sorry if I gave away too much, but it was a wonderful film, the deep philosophical sort; it was thought provoking. I may end up getting Dino Buzzati's book that inspired the film, as well.

That I must see.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I just saw Trick 'R Treat on netflix... and what a horror flick! That was the best sort that I can imagine. If you want a great Halloween movie, watch this film.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I just saw Trick 'R Treat on netflix... and what a horror flick! That was the best sort that I can imagine. If you want a great Halloween movie, watch this film.

I take it you don't mean the 1986 movie!? *joking* Ha ha

I've seen both Trick or Treats and liked them!

TRICK%20OR%20TREAT%20VHS.jpg

X
BD

Dan'l

Practically Family
The Head - 1959

Another one for the Halloween season. Mad scientist keeps the head alive of a brilliant scientist in order to use/gain his knowledge.

A good B film.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Anything worth mentioning about the film?

It was pretty good - an interesting storyline (wonder if it influenced The Life of David Gale in any way) and a nice twist (although some small plot holes) - not the greatest Fritz Lang movie - I much preferred the brilliant and overlooked While the City Sleeps (one of my favourite movies) also starring Dana Andrews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL