Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Feraud

Bartender
Saw The Creature From The Black Lagoon the other night. I've always enjoyed this movie and it irked me that Ben Mankiewicz had to defensively point out more than once how the creature effects were hokey by today's standards. No host on TCM should ever take that position.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Hindenburg - The Last Flight. A terrible film, but excellent special effects, and the interior scenes are well done. It was made in Germany, and the dubbed voices are terrible! A couple of funny mistakes was the American ambulance with a German siren, and a small goof, a still and a driving Willys Jeep, four years before the prototype Bantam Jeep was built. At the end, the German hero was wearing a nice A2 jacket. Still the scenes at Naval Air Station Lakehurst were first rate, you did get a little feel for what it might have been like that day. Spoiler alert, the Hindenburg blows up and crashes in the end!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Just saw Oz today. Fantabulous film, it was the first time I've seen a movie at the theatre in so many years. My favorite character has to be "Sourpuss" the Emerald City herald. I definitely plan to get this one on DVD.
I caught it this weekend and was blown away. Neat little gags (Baum's Circus; Annie, Michelle Williams's character in 1905 Kansas, is about to marry a man named Gale -- and Dorothy's last name was Gale), utterly convincing effects (China Girl and Finley the flying monkey bellhop were astonishing), and a soaring charm. Top notch stuff.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Quiet Man" - Like clockwork. I love this cinematic love letter to an Ireland that never was.

"Heh, you can buy me drink at yer wake!"

"And I'll be takin' no drinks from you either ya little squint!"

Worf

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Last weekend I succumbed to watching The Notebook. Not my kind of film, but I did shed a tear or two, after I managed to get over the various historical inaccuracies throughout the film.

Hindenburg - The Last Flight. A terrible film, but excellent special effects, and the interior scenes are well done. It was made in Germany, and the dubbed voices are terrible! A couple of funny mistakes was the American ambulance with a German siren, and a small goof, a still and a driving Willys Jeep, four years before the prototype Bantam Jeep was built. At the end, the German hero was wearing a nice A2 jacket. Still the scenes at Naval Air Station Lakehurst were first rate, you did get a little feel for what it might have been like that day. Spoiler alert, the Hindenburg blows up and crashes in the end!

I still like the 1975 film about the Hindenburg disaster.

[video=youtube;tWci-qkKl5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWci-qkKl5E[/video]

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ice cold in Alex at the weekend a really good film al be it with the odd mistake like having a Landrover series 1 in the background as the MP's drive away the German 'spy' as landrovers based on the jeep didn't arrive on the scene until 48....good film though.

At this point I'd like to formally request that you rude people stop giving away endings.
The Titanic sunk?
The Hindenburg blew up?
How about giving these films some time out in the public before spilling the beans and ruining it for the rest of us?
I'm going to see Apollo 13 soon, so please don't tell me what happens, OK?

lol

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
At this point I'd like to formally request that you rude people stop giving away endings.
The Titanic sunk?
The Hindenburg blew up?
How about giving these films some time out in the public before spilling the beans and ruining it for the rest of us?
I'm going to see Apollo 13 soon, so please don't tell me what happens, OK?
lol
Houston, we have a problem! :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Looper" - B - I went into this with semi-low expectations and was thoroughly surpised. Decent science, good script, great acting and a plot that didn't come out of Hollywood recycle bin. The extra's on the Blu-Ray were quite good as well. You could do worse than this one. BUT you have to pay attention. You cannot go to sleep on the multiple time-lines or you will be quite lost.

Worf

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The Nut Farm (Monogram, 1935, just before its merger with Republic and Mascot), with Wallace Ford and Betty Alden. Tries to be a clever satire on Hollywood, and it does score a bit on that count, but not enough. Low-budgeted, and it shows. I can usually watch Ford in just about anything, but his character here is a bit annoying and, at one point, somewhat illogical. Interesting only for its behind-the-scenes looks at film-making...5 stars out of 10.

Also, Dracula's Daughter (1936) from Universal, with Gloria Holden, Edward Van Sloan (as von Helsing this time), and Otto Kruger. This film often is maligned by Dracula and Lugosi fans, but it actually is worth a second viewing. Holden was a beautiful woman who wasn't bad in the title role. A big minus is, of course, the absence of Lugosi (what were they thinking at Universal?), and it really makes no sense for the setting to change to Transylvannia in the last two reels. It is atmospheric, though, and an interesting curio whose theme would ultimately be continued in the also underrated Son of Dracula with Lon Chaney, Jr.

rjb1

Practically Family
Since we have been mentioning dirigibles I watched "Dirigible" - 1931 - directed by Frank Capra and written by Frank "Spig" Wead (portrayed by John Wayne in "The Wings of Eagles").
Excellent shots of dirigibles and associated technology since it was shot at Lakehurst, NJ. Has a sequence of "hooking-on" of a biplane underneath the dirigible. Has Fay Wray two years before "King Kong".
The plot is about the rivalry between fixed-wing aviators with lighter-than-air aviators on a South Polar expedition. (Plus a love-interest rivalry, of course...)
Very well done - especially for the time. (With Frank Capra directing you would expect that.)

"Looper" - B - I went into this with semi-low expectations and was thoroughly surpised. Decent science, good script, great acting and a plot that didn't come out of Hollywood recycle bin. The extra's on the Blu-Ray were quite good as well. You could do worse than this one. BUT you have to pay attention. You cannot go to sleep on the multiple time-lines or you will be quite lost.

Worf

I too went into this with so-so expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. A worthwhile flick.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner