Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Two documentaries:

King Corn.
Two college friends travel back to their home state of Iowa to plant an acre of corn and follow it through the food chain. Its fascinating to see them re-connect with long lost relatives, and look at these faming communities and how they are forever changing from the industrializing of corn.

The part where they make 'home made' corn syrup is amazingly funny.

Bigger Stronger Faster
A rather honest and unapologetic documentary about steroids and its ingrained presence in the sports and fitness industry.
It was kind of saddening in that there was this blanket sentiment of "Everyone uses steroids to be their best. Dont you want to be your best?"

There is never a differential brought up to using steroids to get healthy (there is an HIV case) and using steroids WHILE you already are healthy, which most, well, all of the people in this film are doing.

LD

carter

I'll Lock Up
I saw Defiance this evening with my son and a friend of his. I liked the film. Excellent performances by both Daniel Craig and Liv Schreiber.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yesterday

Family and I watched "Marley & Me".....

Tear jerker.

Jennifer Anniston is a hottie...Alan Arken is funny...

Dogs are super. But if you have ever had or loved a dog....this one will break your heart.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm watching "Thief" with James Caan. Early Michael Mann movie, a great opening sequence of events put to the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.
Its a good one, I watch it a couple of times a year. The music is great.

Andykev- thanks for the heads up on "Marley & Me", as a dog owner/lover I'll probably pass on that one!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw Wonder Boys last night and disliked it. It was trying to be a neo-screwball/"independent flavored" film but it felt very forced. Too bad since it had a cast made up of many of my favorite actors including Tobey Maguire, Frances McDormand, and Robert Downey, Jr.

just_me

Practically Family
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I just listened again to the audio book version (Jim Dale is phenominal and audio books make long trips much more bearable) and had the urge to watch it.

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
I re-watched Dick Tracy last night (only after reducing the color saturation of my monitor down to 20%). Never much cared for it as a movie, but as a hat show it was great!

Now I find myself obsessing about this old, red cowboy hat that I saw in the antique store last week -- and how I could bash it into a fedora!

Cricket

Practically Family
For some reason I was in a gritty, Western, type mood last night. We watched Once Upon a Time in the West, followed up by No Country for Old Men. Loved it, and I think we need to have movie nights more often.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just saw Changeling, it was magnificent. Like all movies Eastwood directs, the story was rock-solid and beautifully told. The setting was perfect: late 20's and 30's Los Angeles.

The main character (Angelina Jolie) was styled to perfection and I think it was a nice detail that she wears the same jacket in 1928 and 1930, as women would have done then, and that her handbag wasn't sparkling new, something that otherwise often bothers me in period films: all clothing looking brand new. That's just not the way it would have been. I found the film very authentic in this regard.

By the way, isn't this a pair of Remix Deco shoes? :)

the_changeling3.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
I'm watching "Thief" with James Caan. Early Michael Mann movie, a great opening sequence of events put to the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.
Its a good one, I watch it a couple of times a year. The music is great.

This was a great soundtrack by tangerine dream, the visual impact of that movie was incredible. I believe Mann has had a great career and has maintained the promise he showed in Thief. I thought Heat was kind of a sequel to Thief in some ways.

laurakitty

Familiar Face
Bride Wars: Horrifically bad, and I normally love chick flicks.
Slumdog Millionaire: Made me miss Mumbai so much- I have to go back soon. I didn't find the film as amazing as everyone else did, but it was still entertaining.
The Wrestler: Fantastic!
Revolutionary Road: The costumes and sets were great as was the acting, but the plot depressed me for days after.

laurakitty

Familiar Face
Frykitty said:
Last night I watched Polanski's "The Tenant" One of the few directors that leave me shook up for days. brilliant.

Oh that movie is amazing! And what a wonderful apartment- I think I could deal with the landlord and the other tenants just to have it!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
WH1 said:
the visual impact of that movie was incredible. I believe Mann has had a great career and has maintained the promise he showed in Thief. I thought Heat was kind of a sequel to Thief in some ways.

There are at least three shots in that film that are somewhat awe inspiring, plus the sequences set to the soundtrack are better than most music videos.
I had not thought of the "Heat" connection as much but I'll watch "Heat" again with that in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner