Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

I've watched this from the first minute & am still confused. What happened to Lester's hand!!?

He had a piece of buckshot hit his hand when the cop was shot in his house. If anyone knew this..it would mean that he wasn't unconscious in the basement with his dead Wife when the cop was shot upstairs. Otherwise..he was near the cop when the cop was killed.
HD

Watched a few episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker series on Netflix. *snip* I only wish there had been more. Wonderful series.
Thank Darren McGavin for that. He got released from his contract because the scripts weren't creative enough for him and he was supposedly exhausted from his producing schedule. :rolleyes: They were creative enough for me. :p
Kolchak: The Night Stalker is still one of my favorite shows from that era. Some of the episodes suffered from Universal Studios' usual M.O. (i.e., operate "on the cheap") and were hit-and-miss, but McGavin's performances were always spot on.

As for Mr. McGavin's reasons for wanting to leave the show, from what I've read it had far more to do with him constantly being at odds with "the suits" at Universal. He believed in the show and thought it could be much better than it was, and often acted as Executive Producer even though he was never officially asked, hired, or paid to do so, but he received little to no respect from Universal's Powers-That-Be. Yes, he was dissatisfied with the scripts (particularly when the writers got lazy and recycled ideas from previous scripts), but I think he was more dissatisfied with the lack of support from Universal; you can only bang your head against a brick wall for so long before you realize it hurts.

You won't be by the end... Worst ending EVER!!!!
Clearly, you didn't watch Dexter. :twitch: :eusa_doh: :frusty:

Feraud

Bartender
Glad to see more Kolchak fans out there. I've been enjoying revisiting episodes I have seen in close to 30 years. The budgets were definitely nonexistent but McGavin and Simon Oakland (Kolchak's long suffering editor) were great together! It's a shame the show didn't make it past one season. We can now see how influential the show was.

Clearly, you didn't watch Dexter. :twitch: :eusa_doh: :frusty:
ha, agreed. Both Lost and Dexter lost their creative steam a few seasons prior to the end. The horrible endings to both programs were simply indicative of the garbage the writers had been pushing for a while.

Watched the first two episodes of the new season of Louie and was painfully reminded why I stopped watching last season. I love Louis CK's stand up but his program takes the nebbish to absurd limits..

Last edited:

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
He had a piece of buckshot hit his hand when the cop was shot in his house. If anyone knew this..it would mean that he wasn't unconscious in the basement with his dead Wife when the cop was shot upstairs. Otherwise..he was near the cop when the cop was killed.
HD

BTW..his hand is swelling up with infection from the lead shot because he couldn't seek treatment (removal of pellet) without revealing his whereabouts at the time of the murder.
HD

Ah! Thank you, HD! :) *feels stupid*

You won't be by the end... Worst ending EVER!!!!

Worf

I think the writers did as well as they could, with what they'd done to it by the end. They clearly took fans conspiracy theories & ran with 'em. ;)

Kolchak: The Night Stalker is still one of my favorite shows from that era. Some of the episodes suffered from Universal Studios' usual M.O. (i.e., operate "on the cheap") and were hit-and-miss, but McGavin's performances were always spot on.

As for Mr. McGavin's reasons for wanting to leave the show, from what I've read it had far more to do with him constantly being at odds with "the suits" at Universal. He believed in the show and thought it could be much better than it was, and often acted as Executive Producer even though he was never officially asked, hired, or paid to do so, but he received little to no respect from Universal's Powers-That-Be. Yes, he was dissatisfied with the scripts (particularly when the writers got lazy and recycled ideas from previous scripts), but I think he was more dissatisfied with the lack of support from Universal; you can only bang your head against a brick wall for so long before you realize it hurts.

That is all true but the reason it ended is still that Darren quit. :p

...Both Lost and Dexter lost their creative steam a few seasons prior to the end. The horrible endings to both programs were simply indicative of the garbage the writers had been pushing for a while...
Dexter went off the rails between seasons 4 and 5 when Executive Producers and "Showrunners" Melissa Rosenberg and Clyde Phillips left the production; after that the show relied too heavily on "How will he get out of this one?" situations with weak and implausible resolutions, and plotlines/characters that were introduced as potential threats but ultimately went nowhere.

That's true as well, but I believe McGavin's participation is the only reason the show lasted an entire season in the first place. If it weren't for him, I'm sure Universal would have pulled the plug much sooner.

Dexter went off the rails between seasons 4 and 5 when Executive Producers and "Showrunners" Melissa Rosenberg and Clyde Phillips left the production; after that the show relied too heavily on "How will he get out of this one?" situations with weak and implausible resolutions, and plotlines/characters that were introduced as potential threats but ultimately went nowhere.

That's true as well, but I believe McGavin's participation is the only reason the show lasted an entire season in the first place. If it weren't for him, I'm sure Universal would have pulled the plug much sooner.

I dunno. They could have gotten William Shatner cheap. :p

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Penny Dreadful
The pilot is available on Showtime's website and it has such promise.
The show takes its name from the pulp horror magazines from the 1800s that were sold for a penny. So lots of classic monsters and classic lore. The tone of the show seems to be very League of Extraordinary Gentleman (I mean Dorian Gray is in it), though there seems to be no blatant connection to the comic/movie versions. I love the look and the solicitation of the show. I think its gonna be one of my new favorites.

Last edited:
Penny Dreadful
The pilot is available on Showtime's website and it has such promise.
The show takes its name from the pulp horror magazines from the 1800s that were sold for a penny. So lots of classic monsters and classic lore. The tone of the show seems to be very League of Extraordinary Gentleman (I mean Dorian Gray is in it), though there seems to be no blatant connection to the comic/movie versions. I love the look and the solicitation of the show. I think its gonna be one of my new favorites.

Saw the preview a few nights ago and it looked like a good one to take a chance on.
:D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Well that's a fact you can't around. :D
As for arguing with the suits, I imagine a lot of that went on behind the scenes on 70's tv series.
Which explains why some of the suits won, and why we had shows like BJ and The Bear, and Sheriff Lobo Show. :eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Civil War: The Untold Story. They focuses mainly on the war in the west, along the Mississippi river. Hard to believe these days, but the South lost 18% of the white male population, staggering number. Still, totally indefensible to fight to keep fellow human beings in slavery!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Fargo has great atmosphere and is pretty damn funny, too. Good casting. Good cinematography. Like most of the FX series, they have the technical side nailed.

Dexter: I watched through season 5. The first few episodes (for the sake of novelty) and season 3, with Benz and Lithgow, were the only episodes worth watching. Both the supporting cast and stories were awful. The only time that show seemed to have any good idea of direction, that wasn't cheap juking with the audience, was season 3. I can't imagine how terrible the ending must have been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR