Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

...I wonder about all these ebooks and iTunes songs that can be accessed on this or that devise. What happens if Apple falls one day and goes out of business (sounds crazy now, but bigger and mightier have fallen)? Or if the costs of storing all these things get too great for these companies and they have their super smart legal teams go through every single word to find a way to "reinterpret" this or that guarantee of access?
As I understand it, ebooks and MP3s get downloaded to whichever device the person uses to read/listen to them, so that's a little different. Of course, if that device malfunctions in a way that makes it impossible to transfer those files to a new device you've lost them and the money you used to pay for them. That's one reason I still prefer real books, CDs, and DVDs and Blu-Ray discs--I want a tangible, physical object that I can hold in my hands to show what I've spent my money on. And unless there's a fire or other occurrence that physically damages them, they can't be taken away simply because the device I use to listen to the CDs or watch the DVDs/Blu-Rays no longer functions. If that makes me "old school", "antiquated", or "out of date", that's fine with me. And when the day comes (and I'm sure it will) that the only way to purchase new entertainment media is by downloading a file over the Internet, it will be the day when the companies that produce that entertainment media will no longer see any of my money.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Run, Steven Staven, Run! More TWO AND A HALF MEN. To bad the writing has gone down hill in the last season. I also watched the episode, Paint It, Pierce It or Plug It. Even the episode titles were funny back then!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'm the same way. I'm also puzzled when a television show--any television show--includes a comment to the effect of, "For more content, go to www-dot-whateveritis-dot-com." Let me get this straight. You're in the business of producing television shows, the success or failure of which is determined by the number of people watching those shows (i.e., ratings). And now you want me to stop watching your show and surf the Internet??? First, that seems self-defeating with regards to your chosen occupation. Second, if it was that important you should have put it in the show I'm watching.
It isn't fear driving this stuff. It's money. There's A LOT of money in getting their shows on social media, being associated with other products, being associated with lots of things, and being linked to other advertising because of how cookies and data collecting works online. If you want a better idea of how it works, I recommend watching Generation Like. There's a lot of hidden revenue, and they want as much as possible.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/generation-like/

This is why you see more and more directors, actors, and whonots wanting to make their own movies and financing them through Kickstarter projects. They're under such pressure and manipulation that they cannot make the movies or shows they want to make. In all likeliness, they're forced to exclude content as a means to then force the audience to check twitter, homepages, facebook, and all the various sources for the rest of the content.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Well, after the great Megalodon hoax last year during Shark Week, Discovery doubled down with Shark Of Darkness: Wrath Of Submarine. A 38 foot Great White shark, terrorizing South Africa for almost 40 years now! They even had footage of it attacking a whale watcher boat and killing two of the passengers. One problem, it never happened! As Mark Twain once said, Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Definitely. You know scientists would have been all over that if it was real.

The reason I posted this was so James wouldn't go to South Africa and chum the water with Hippies! [video=youtube;2I91DJZKRxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I91DJZKRxs[/video]

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Leftovers....

Why in heavens name am I still watching this. One of the creators of "Lost" is involved.. I'll know the whole effin' thing will end with more questions than answers... God I hate it so!!!!!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn