Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

I'm working out this morning, flipping through the TV on the exercise bike and saw the tail end of an episode of "The Green Hornet." My only impression after having seen the last five minutes of the episode (and the first time, I think, I've seen the show in forty or so years) is that if the idea was to compete with the "Batman" TV show, they should have spent some money on making his car cool like the Batmobile.
The Black Beauty was cool, it was just cool in a different way from the Batmobile. ;)

skydog757

A-List Customer
The Black Beauty was cool, it was just cool in a different way from the Batmobile. ;)

Very much so, it was a classy ride. Pretty much had to be upscale as Kato was really the chauffeur. It was a Chrysler Imperial, I think, and they always made a big deal about it being able to run "totally silent". Since the majority of road noise is generated by the tires on the pavement, I don't quite know how they managed that.

...It was a Chrysler Imperial, I think...
The Black Beauty was a 1966 Imperial Crown; Chrysler and Imperial were separate companies in those days. Two cars were modified for use on the show by Dean Jeffries. As far as I know, one of the cars is owned by the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, and the other is owned by a private collector in South Carolina.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Black Beauty was a 1966 Imperial Crown; Chrysler and Imperial were separate companies in those days. Two cars were modified for use on the show by Dean Jeffries. As far as I know, one of the cars is owned by the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, and the other is owned by a private collector in South Carolina.
I saw one of them at a car show in Tuscan AZ back in the 60s. If I remember right, it was a flat paint job long before that became stylish.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nova, The First Air War. Nice to see all those flying replicas. How did any the pilots and crews survive the war? Also watched Oak Island. Curse them, I have to watch!

Based on your comment here and the conversation that followed, I'll keep an open mind and look to see it again.

I have always been impressed with the Batmobile (and saw it once at a quasi museum) as a truly well-designed customized car. It was thirty or so years ago, but when I saw it, it didn't look cheesy; the special add-ons and weaponry looked organic to the car and solid - not fake or just stuck on. And while truly subjective, I think the overall lines of the car are attractive and, again, the customization worked and doesn't look forced.

When I saw the Green Hornet's car for a few minutes on TV, I was underwhelmed - not that it was unattractive, it just didn't seem to have much that was special.

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Rehab Addict. I have almost watched all the episodes on the 1904 Mansion. Wow, talk about an ambitious project!

That series is addictive (yes, I said it).

Seriously, it's great and Nicole isn't too bad either.

I love the 1904 Mansion project. But, it really ended abruptly (at least the episodes of it seemed to).

- Ian

...I have always been impressed with the Batmobile (and saw it once at a quasi museum) as a truly well-designed customized car. It was thirty or so years ago, but when I saw it, it didn't look cheesy; the special add-ons and weaponry looked organic to the car and solid - not fake or just stuck on. And while truly subjective, I think the overall lines of the car are attractive and, again, the customization worked and doesn't look forced.

When I saw the Green Hornet's car for a few minutes on TV, I was underwhelmed - not that it was unattractive, it just didn't seem to have much that was special.
Just in case you don't already know, the Batmobile that was "built" by George Barris started life as a Lincoln concept car--a 1955 Futura:

1955_Lincoln_Futura_zpsec5a175c.jpg

Barris had purchased the car from Ford for $1 some time before the producers of Batman came calling. When they asked him to build them a Batmobile and gave him three weeks to do so, he thought the Futura's lines would be perfect for the job, and the rest is history.

The thing is, the Batmobile was supposed to make a statement, to fit in with the bright colors and camp tone of the series, and it certainly did that well. But The Green Hornet was a more serious production and the Green Hornet himself was supposed to be operating "under the radar", so the Black Beauty was a far more subdued customization because it wasn't supposed to draw attention to itself.

To be honest, years ago I would have agreed with you absolutely. The Batmobile was cool, while the Black Beauty was just...there. But I've gained an appreciation for the Black Beauty over the years, and now I like it's understated design almost as much as I like the Batmobile.

No, no. It is just funny that you were on an exercise bike watching TV. It seems kind of ironic. :p
The gym my wife and I used to go to had rows of television sets in front of their exercise bikes, and treadmills, and those elliptical things that make everyone look like they're doing a poor job of cross-country skiing, so it's not unheard of.

Besides, when you think about it, for some people going to the gym is rather silly anyway. They go there and pretend they're riding a bicycle, pretend they're walking or jogging down the street, pretend they're climbing stairs, pretend they're skiing. So I just stay at home watching television and pretend I'm at the gym.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As the guilty party, I don't know what I did wrong, but am willing to learn?
Ah, no, no.. it has nothing to do with you (sounds strange, I know.. you just moved the topic slightly) :D

No, no. It is just funny that you were on an exercise bike watching TV. It seems kind of ironic. :p
Exactly... then, when you think about it: what else is there to do?
One can, I suppose: listen to music, or an audio book.. or just stare at the wall.. lol

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Besides, when you think about it, for some people going to the gym is rather silly anyway. They go there and pretend they're riding a bicycle, pretend they're walking or jogging down the street, pretend they're climbing stairs, pretend they're skiing. So I just stay at home watching television and pretend I'm at the gym.
:eusa_clap Well said, sir.

When I feel like watching a series, I sit down and give it a go.
When cycling comes to mind - I prefer mine to be outdoors. :D

Zombie 61 - great info. I did know most of it as I, over the years, have read the articles as they come up about the car. I knew I was possibly throwing a wild pitch by commenting on something - "The Black Beauty -" without having given it more of a chance, which I will now do.

Jamespowers / Stray Cat - I hear ya, it is silly, but oddly, it makes sense too. I work at a computer screen all day and, in the morning, work out 2 hours a day or I feel like a slug (and I have knee problems, so running is out). To make the time productive, I usually read work related material or watch documentaries, but on the weekends, I take a break and just flip through the channels. I get that it is crazy at a level, but it is the most productive way I can work out and do job-related work or at least learn something. If a martian is watching on his secret TV, he's got to be saying, that guy is crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran