Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Queen Victoria and the Crippled Kaiser. Very fascinating look at Kaiser Villie, and his English Mother and Grandmother! He almost was doomed from birth into leading his country into WWI! If you think you had a bad child hood, just look at the Royals, down right sadistic torture!

Simon and Simon Season 3 Episodes 4, 5, 6. I love this show. Brings back memories of me and my Dad, watching the show with Dr. Pepper. We never told Mom. Good times. :p

[video=youtube;IDhz_mVcVCQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDhz_mVcVCQ[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Fall of Japan: In Color. An excellent documentary! William Courtenay was sent to America to try and get us involved, but events over took him, Pearl Harbor. Instead of going back to the UK, he went with McArther, Island Hopping. He brought a 16mm camera and Kodachrome. From the land, sea and air, he was there, unprecedented access! He even shot color footage of McArther returning to the Philippines, and probably the first color footage of Emperor Hirohito. He took the first color footage of Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the bombings. A must see for any one interested in the Pacific war. [video=youtube;PO_6BUu6-Fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_6BUu6-Fc[/video]

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I was disappointed that they killed of the Priest as he was the most developed and most interesting of all the characters on the show.
They did a 2nd, "new' episode after the regularly scheduled episode. It was from Athelstan's perspective and an overview of his experience. I think it was titled Athelstan's Journal. On one hand, I don't know what the point of it was, but on the other, I wish they would put that much effort into the story every week. Why make a second episode? Put those resources into your shoddy storytelling so it is less shoddy. A bizarre series.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Secrets and Lies - I thought it'd be one of those silly little modern TV dramas, but it's actually pretty interesting! Interesting characters, a good plot. I think I'll keep watching this one.

They did a 2nd, "new' episode after the regularly scheduled episode. It was from Athelstan's perspective and an overview of his experience. I think it was titled Athelstan's Journal. On one hand, I don't know what the point of it was, but on the other, I wish they would put that much effort into the story every week. Why make a second episode? Put those resources into your shoddy storytelling so it is less shoddy. A bizarre series.

I saw it and agree with both of your points: well done and thoughtful exposition of Athelstan's thoughts and emotions throughout and they should be as thoughtful with their regular episodes' consistency and development. Many time I feel as if some event or plot occurance is just beamed in magically from outer space.

Last edited:
I was disappointed that they killed of the Priest as he was the most developed and most interesting of all the characters on the show.

We too were bothered at the House of ToE. It did not make sense, but then that is how life works. The episode concerning his journel, although interesting, did not make sense. It was odd in that it felt as if it was there just for the sake of being. It was as if they had some extra material sitting around with which they needed to do something.
:D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Many time I feel as if some event or plot occurrence is just beamed in magically from outer space.
It was odd in that it felt as if it was there just for the sake of being. It was as if they had some extra material sitting around with which they needed to do something.

These make reading interviews with the writer laughable. It's his job, so he has to act like its all serious, but the audience knows how sloppy it all is. Simply, he doesn't put the story to work for the outcomes he talks about having. You don't walk into a Lamborghini dealership and slap down $200, a pack of gum, a lint ball from the left rear pocket, and a Bic pen and think you're going to walk out with a car. But that is how Michael Hirst writes these stories. There's no honest cause/effect, and he doesn't put in the proper work to arrive at the destinations. It's like we can somehow be sitting on the moon after a 10-minute canoe ride.

As much as I enjoy the big ceremonies, like the Spring Equinox and blood being poured over Lagertha, I'm left wishing the show earned that kind of spectacle. It didn't work for it. It's child's play. Adults aren't behind this show. Let's get from one place to another in an honest fashion. It lacks integrity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana