Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
RE: Hell on Wheels

Despite its flaws (inconsistent plots and characters, gaps in storylines - which really become a problem in later seasons)
This is how I view the show as well. It's a mess. It's a nice mess, but it is poorly constructed and maintained. If it was a different setting in a different time, or maybe either of those, I wouldn't bother with it. It makes sense that season 5 is slated to be its last. It's been flaying in quicksand for a couple seasons now. Dramatic nowhereitis.

Turn is a much better AMC period series, but I fear it is going to get canceled. And while I'm talking AMC, I'm looking forward to Humans. I like the cast. A lot of British actors, a few of which come from Mr.Selfridge on PBS/ITV (same as Downton Abbey). Other than that, I'm going into it blindly, but with enthusiasm.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I've just finished watching the first episode of The Saboteurs a European co produced series based around heavy water production in Norway....think Heroes of Telemark but better! .....fantastically shot with some beautiful scenery, good acting, renowned European actors and some what appears to be very authentic clothing and props....recommended.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Episodes of the 1950s-1960s TV series "The Rifleman," with Chuck Connors, on AMC on Saturday mornings. Neatly done little short stories on film. The producers of TV Westerns apparently realized they didn't have the budget to compete with the spectacle of big-screen Western films -- couldn't do big chases or battles or wide landscapes; so they went for quieter dramas leavened with action. "Rifleman" is a great example.

Look for a two-parter called "Waste" from the show's last season. It's very film noir, with Lucas and Mark trapped in a Mexican town by bandits (led by long-time character actor Vito Scotti) -- a script written by actor Robert Culp, later of "I Spy." His "I Spy" episode "Home to Judgment" is similar in tone and some plot elements to "Waste."

Episodes of the 1950s-1960s TV series "The Rifleman," with Chuck Connors, on AMC on Saturday mornings. Neatly done little short stories on film. The producers of TV Westerns apparently realized they didn't have the budget to compete with the spectacle of big-screen Western films -- couldn't do big chases or battles or wide landscapes; so they went for quieter dramas leavened with action. "Rifleman" is a great example.

Look for a two-parter called "Waste" from the show's last season. It's very film noir, with Lucas and Mark trapped in a Mexican town by bandits (led by long-time character actor Vito Scotti) -- a script written by actor Robert Culp, later of "I Spy." His "I Spy" episode "Home to Judgment" is similar in tone and some plot elements to "Waste."

The opening of that show is always interesting. :p
https://youtu.be/9IVCwYPjFXc

Don't get in the way of that thing. :eeek:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not sure the name of the show? Some guy, brought in an 83 Avanti in box's. Pretty funny. Glad I turned down the original Studebaker Avanti I could have bought last year! Funny, when they first came out, I was in love, now, not so sure I like the looks at all!

Bonanza. Watching it always reminds me of my grandparents.

I enjoy "Bonanza," but like "The Big Valley" better. I enjoy the dynamic of a female patriarch - Barbara Stanwyck has no trouble keeping her adult sons and, if need be, the entire town of Stockton California in line. And I like Heath's backstory as the illegitimate son of Stanwyck's deceased husband. There's more interesting - not out-of-the-box - family interactions and underlying tensions in "The Big Valley" than "Bonanza."

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I enjoy "Bonanza," but like "The Big Valley" better. I enjoy the dynamic of a female patriarch - Barbara Stanwyck has no trouble keeping her adult sons and, if need be, the entire town of Stockton California in line. And I like Heath's backstory as the illegitimate son of Stanwyck's deceased husband. There's more interesting - not out-of-the-box - family interactions and underlying tensions in "The Big Valley" than "Bonanza."

I remember watching "The Big Valley" with my grandparents, too. Loved both shows. :) I don't know if "The Big Valley" is on TV anywhere...might have to look on Netflix or some other streaming service.

I remember watching "The Big Valley" with my grandparents, too. Loved both shows. :) I don't know if "The Big Valley" is on TV anywhere...might have to look on Netflix or some other streaming service.

I've caught some episodes on "GetTV" if your cable provider has that (very obscure in the 1200s) station. Also, it has popped up on a few other channels now and again. Last time I checked - sometime earlier this year - Netflix only had it on discs, not via streaming, but again, that might have changed since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24