Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Caught up on Poldark. It's Masterpiece. I have to give it a chance. Beautifully shot. The dialogue and story are a little on the weak end. As much as I enjoy the scenery, I'd like more conversation. A lot of screen time is spent on transitions (panning landscapes and rooms), situation set-up, and dramatics (slow motion dancing?). How much time is spent watching him ride his horse? I fully comprehend it is easier to film that than have good writing, which then requires some acting. Indolent film making, but we're used to that now, aren't we? Let technology, with fancy lenses and filters, quench us rather than the human element. I like it. I'll keep watching it, but it isn't a high mark for Masterpiece.

I agree...i could do with more dialogue and character development. This is a flaw with Downton Abbey, as well, IMO.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Gearz. Stacey is building a replica Chevy Cheetah. Still an incredible car 50 years later! Front engine car, yet still a mid engine car! No drive shaft, just a U-Joint between the transmission and the differential. To bad it was never fully developed into a proper Cobra killer! [video=youtube;c5SbDoy7XBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5SbDoy7XBE[/video]

fashion frank

One Too Many
USWNT vs Germany. What a match! We're in the final against either England or Japan (they play today). So excited!!!!!

YEA YEA YEA ,I love soccer have season tickets (2) to the New England Revolution and love to watch Barkley's and Bundesleaugea !
England will be tough to beat if they wind up playing against them but I hope they make it !

Anyway I watched "The Making of the Mafia " on AMC an eight part mini series that comes on every Monday night at ten PM .
I missed the first two so I watched them last night to catch up.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
YEA YEA YEA ,I love soccer have season tickets (2) to the New England Revolution and love to watch Barkley's and Bundesleaugea !
England will be tough to beat if they wind up playing against them but I hope they make it !

Anyway I watched "The Making of the Mafia " on AMC an eight part mini series that comes on every Monday night at ten PM .
I missed the first two so I watched them last night to catch up.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

We are rabid Sounders fans over here. Did you see Deuce's shenanigans in the Open Cup match? Comical.

fashion frank

One Too Many
We are rabid Sounders fans over here. Did you see Deuce's shenanigans in the Open Cup match? Comical.

No I missed that but they were talking it about last night on the tellie we are referring to Germany's goalie right or Dempsey ripping up the refs pad?.

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2013/08/20/show-us-your-deuce-face-and-win
We played you guys back in Feb on the 25th score 2 to 1 us ,then again in march on the 8th 3 to 1 you guys .
I don't think we play you guys again in the regular season any way.

All the best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We ended up with 3 reds and Obafemi Martins out on injury by the end of the match - only one red deserved for accumulation. Ref was a 4th official that is historically red happy. Yes, Dempsey grabbed his notebook and decimated it. Got a 2 year open cup ban, 3 MLS match suspension, and undisclosed fine. The whole match was ridiculous.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I find it most interesting how in North America its NFL "football" but to the rest of the WORLD its "Foozeball" as in soccer ,they don't know what there missing ,especially English soccer which is so fast paced I just love it !

Also not to mention European fans that just go bonkers over a match and people in this country think they are "big" fans they have no idea.

All the Best,Fashion Frank

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I find it most interesting how in North America its NFL "football" but to the rest of the WORLD its "Foozeball" as in soccer ,they don't know what there missing ,especially English soccer which is so fast paced I just love it !

Also not to mention European fans that just go bonkers over a match and people in this country think they are "big" fans they have no idea.

I asked a fan of soccer from Europe what was it that was so exciting about the game as compared to American football. I found soccer
to be frustrating because it looks like they don’t score right away like in football or basketball here in America.
He explained that it’s a different mentality.
He added that the soccer fans appreciate how the players structure the moves to achieve a goal, even if they don’t always score
right away.
I’m not sure if this makes sense, but I still prefer football,basketball or tennis.
I do remember watching the bullfights as a kid & I hated the fact that the poor bull was killed.
I always told my friends... why not throw the bullfighter in the ring butt naked with no sword & see who wins ! :p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmmm.....Makes sense when you put it that way.....Wimbledon tennis

I should have added....I enjoy women’s tennis matches.
( with the exception of two lovely ladies who “sound" like they are giving birth when striking the tennis ball)

Although Federer, Murray & Nadal are fine to watch, the points are too fast .

Also the ladies are in great physical condition & are very pleasant to the eyes as well. :p

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
I asked a fan of soccer from Europe what was it that was so exciting about the game

He added that the soccer fans appreciate how the players structure the moves to achieve a goal, even if they don’t always score
right away.
I’m not sure if this makes sense,
I do remember watching the bullfights as a kid & I hated the fact that the poor bull was killed.
:p

That's it right there, the forwards pass to the midfielders who in turn try to set up the " strikers" so that they can get into the strike zone and score .
If you don't watch a lot of matches it will be lost on you ,however if you do you will notice the pattern over and over again.

Speaking of bullfights , when I lived in Spain I was to little to go the the fights and was left at home with the maid Isabella but I remember everybody saying to each other "Sunday at four" meaning that they would see each other at the bullfights.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My dad used to watch the boxing “Gillette Cavalcade of Sports" on TV in black & white.
Do you remember the Gillette jingle ?

I recently watched a little bit of HBO boxing. Not so much the boxers but the ladies in the
audience. The look on their faces was interesting ! I never can quite understand what
attraction they would have for this sport. They probably had bets on who would win I guess ! :p

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We ended up with 3 reds and Obafemi Martins out on injury by the end of the match - only one red deserved for accumulation. Ref was a 4th official that is historically red happy. Yes, Dempsey grabbed his notebook and decimated it. Got a 2 year open cup ban, 3 MLS match suspension, and undisclosed fine. The whole match was ridiculous.

Here's video of the last few minutes. Completely bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpTuoOnghM

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I asked a fan of soccer from Europe what was it that was so exciting about the game as compared to American football. I found soccer
to be frustrating because it looks like they don’t score right away like in football or basketball here in America.
right away.
I’m not sure if this makes sense, but I still prefer football,basketball or tennis.
I always told my friends... why not throw the bullfighter in the ring butt naked with no sword & see who wins ! :p

What I enjoy about soccer (futbol) is the pace of it. It is quick. The players have to be athletic to run for as long as they do. But they also have to constantly be thinking of where to go, what angle/trajectory/speed to kick the ball to meet with a teammate, and how to defend at the same time. American football is boring to me. Take 5 minutes to set up a play, 15 seconds to play, and then rest/regroup/set up another play.

And don't get me started on all of the commercial breaks in football, baseball, basketball!!!

I should have added....I enjoy women’s tennis matches.
( with the exception of two lovely ladies who “sound" like they are giving birth when striking the tennis ball)

Although Federer, Murray & Nadal are fine to watch, the points are too fast .

Also the ladies are in great physical condition & are very pleasant to the eyes as well. :p

Chris Evert was always that way too. Kind of unnerving. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21