Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

"The Crimson Field" on PBS about a group of nurses working in a field hospital in WWI. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it as it looks expensively produced and, overall, is reasonably well done. The period details are beautiful as is the cinematography (some gorgeous panning shots), but the story, so far, is only okay. The usual trials of being new recruits (the nurses), the tough but (maybe) fair matron, the disaffected second in command who was passed over for the role of matron - okay writing of basic material. And it is very graphic in its portrayal of the wounded soldiers - not for the faint of heart. I'm going to watch it again and hope the stories improve.

N.B. this strikes me as an "AmateisGal" show. I think you would enjoy it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"The Crimson Field" on PBS about a group of nurses working in a field hospital in WWI. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it as it looks expensively produced and, overall, is reasonably well done. The period details are beautiful as is the cinematography (some gorgeous panning shots), but the story, so far, is only okay. The usual trials of being new recruits (the nurses), the tough but (maybe) fair matron, the disaffected second in command who was passed over for the role of matron - okay writing of basic material. And it is very graphic in its portrayal of the wounded soldiers - not for the faint of heart. I'm going to watch it again and hope the stories improve.

N.B. this strikes me as an "AmateisGal" show. I think you would enjoy it.

It has been on after Poldark the last two Sundays, but I confess, I couldn't get into it. I have never been one to like medical shows - E.R., Gray's Anatomy, etc., etc. And unfortunately, I find that this carries over to period dramas, as well.

I have heard really good things about it, though, so may give it another shot. Too bad they canceled it after the first season!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I watched the first week without Hubby. Enjoyed the very fine Mr. Turner's performance. ;) And then.... Hubby asked me what I was watching last night. I told him it was Masterpiece, and it was a period drama that he'd probably find boring. He decided to skip it, leaving Mr. Turner all to me! Muahaha! :D

Very much agreed, so I'm surprised the new season is being savaged in the press and by fans of the first series. It's an anthology folks!

I think that the naysayers are beginning to disappear as I am seeing more positive comments as of late. It will be difficult for season 2 to surpass season 1, but that does not mean that it will not be darn good. I am going to watch the second episode later today.
:D

It has been on after Poldark the last two Sundays, but I confess, I couldn't get into it. I have never been one to like medical shows - E.R., Gray's Anatomy, etc., etc. And unfortunately, I find that this carries over to period dramas, as well.

I have heard really good things about it, though, so may give it another shot. Too bad they canceled it after the first season!

That's funny, I don't watch any of the medical shows either - my girlfriend watches all of them - but the period pull was strong enough in this one to get me over my medical-show aversion reflex. However - as noted in my first post - the medical stuff turns me off even in this show.

I could have been given free tuition to medical school and a guaranteed position in a great hospital afterwards and I still wouldn't have considered medical school for five minutes.

I'm not shocked it was cancelled - the story lines are bland so far, but as noted, it is very pretty from a period perspective.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I watched the first week without Hubby. Enjoyed the very fine Mr. Turner's performance. ;) And then.... Hubby asked me what I was watching last night. I told him it was Masterpiece, and it was a period drama that he'd probably find boring. He decided to skip it, leaving Mr. Turner all to me! Muahaha! :D

Same thing with my hubby! He was watching TV with me until I told him that Masterpiece was coming on and would be an 18th Century drama...he said, "I'm out." Hahaha!

And oh, there were some mighty good scenes with Mr. Turner Sunday night. :D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
That's funny, I don't watch any of the medical shows either - my girlfriend watches all of them - but the period pull was strong enough in this one to get me over my medical-show aversion reflex. However - as noted in my first post - the medical stuff turns me off even in this show.

I could have been given free tuition to medical school and a guaranteed position in a great hospital afterwards and I still wouldn't have considered medical school for five minutes.

I'm not shocked it was cancelled - the story lines are bland so far, but as noted, it is very pretty from a period perspective.

There is a new drama coming on Masterpiece Theater in the fall called Home Fires you and your girlfriend might like, too.

http://www.radiotimes.com/programme/dkqjxm/home-fires

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Same thing with my hubby! He was watching TV with me until I told him that Masterpiece was coming on and would be an 18th Century drama...he said, "I'm out." Hahaha!

And oh, there were some mighty good scenes with Mr. Turner Sunday night. :D

Ahem. It made me want to go swimming. :D

(Mine was watching Netflix on the computer with noise cancelling headphones on, so he didn't know what he was missing.)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Ahem. It made me want to go swimming. :D

(Mine was watching Netflix on the computer with noise cancelling headphones on, so he didn't know what he was missing.)

That scene may well go down in history like the one with Darcy diving into the lake! And I am totally okay with having to watch it again and again. :D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Caught up on Poldark. It's Masterpiece. I have to give it a chance. Beautifully shot. The dialogue and story are a little on the weak end. As much as I enjoy the scenery, I'd like more conversation. A lot of screen time is spent on transitions (panning landscapes and rooms), situation set-up, and dramatics (slow motion dancing?). How much time is spent watching him ride his horse? I fully comprehend it is easier to film that than have good writing, which then requires some acting. Indolent film making, but we're used to that now, aren't we? Let technology, with fancy lenses and filters, quench us rather than the human element. I like it. I'll keep watching it, but it isn't a high mark for Masterpiece.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab

That scene may well go down in history like the one with Darcy diving into the lake! And I am totally okay with having to watch it again and again. :D

Oh, Darcy! If any man (character) were to certainly give me the vapors.... it'd definitely be him. (The BBC version, of course. Mmm. Colin.)

(One of our early married years when we were poor as churchmice, Hubby's birthday present to me was watching all of P&P with me. All six episodes. Without complaint. If that isn't love, I don't know what is!!! He was well rewarded for his generous gift.)

Last edited:
Oh, Darcy! If any man (character) were to certainly give me the vapors.... it'd definitely be him. (The BBC version, of course. Mmm. Colin.)

(One of our early married years when we were poor as churchmice, Hubby's birthday present to me was watching all of P&P with me. All six episodes. Without complaint. If that isn't love, I don't know what is!!! He was well rewarded for his generous gift.)

I've never understood why Austen is considered "women" literature, it is literature and very, very good literature. I think your husband might have hoodwinked you as I'd gladly watch P&P and to get "good guy" credit for it would be disingenuous. Most (not all) of the movie versions of her novels have been very well done. And the P&P one your are talking about was really well done. Also the Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet S&S was outstanding.

P.S. "Poor as Churchmice" is a great expression and probably belongs in the "Expressions that are disappearing" or whatever we call that outstanding thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24