Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The new two-part American Masters documentary about Walt Disney on PBS. A good introduction if - unlike me - you haven't read all the biographies. But I thought it often emphasized the wrong things, skipping over significant projects and events while it gave too much time to others. And since its overall POV and primary talking head is Neil Gabler, it tended to emphasize Disney's alleged "dark" aspects while showing little to no understanding of much of what made him a genius.

(I've gone on record here before for having HATED Gabler's 600+ page biography of Disney, which has been annointed as "official" by the Disney organization, but which displays a startling lack of empathy for the man, and little to no understanding of animation history and process. Michael Barrier's Disney biography, which came out around the same time, is vastly better at one-third the length. Even Richard Schickel's and Leonard Maltin's Disney books from decades ago are better. Don't believe the hype: despite his enormous amount of research, Gabler repeatedly gets things wrong!)

Michael Barrier's informative site has a lot more about what's wrong with this documentary:

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/

Last edited:
The new two-part American Masters documentary about Walt Disney on PBS. A good introduction if - unlike me - you haven't read all the biographies. But I thought it often emphasized the wrong things, skipping over significant projects and events while it gave too much time to others. And since its overall POV and primary talking head as Neil Gabler, it tended to emphasize Disney's alleged "dark" aspects while showing little to no understanding of much of what made him a genius.

(I've gone on record here before for having HATED Gabler's 600+ page biography of Disney, which has been annointed as "official" by the Disney organization, but which displays a startling lack of empathy for the man, and little to no understanding of animation history and process. Michael Barrier's Disney biography, which came out around the same time, is vastly better at one-third the length. Even Richard Schickell's and Leonard Maltin's Disney books from decades ago are better. Don't believe the hype: despite his enormous amount of research, Gabler repeatedly gets things wrong!)

Michael Barrier's informative site has a lot more about what's wrong with this documentary:

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/

Gabler used to do (maybe he still does, I stopped watching because of him) the introduction to PBS' Saturday Night Movie; I found him snarky and condescending to the point that he made his introduction about himself and not the movie. His politics comes through because you can tell he is dying to put his politics out there even if he has to force it into his movie introduction. I will turn the channel whenever I see his smug face and can't image suffering through a special hosted by him.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree: Gabler has long been an embarrassment as a movie reviewer and film history expert.

Floyd Norman, who worked at Disney and appears in the documentary, posts his own review. He says it utterly failed to capture the man he knew:

http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/blog/2015/9/17/my-review-of-the-walt-disney-documentary

An excerpt:

I’m not comfortable doing television reviews and I take no delight throwing cold water on a program where many people invested time and money. Having said that, I must confess I left the program completely uninspired. “How could the filmmakers have missed their mark,” I wondered? Why did they get so many things wrong when information was readily available? And, who decided that the plain and simple farm boy from Marceline was a dark and tormented individual? What made them think that Midwestern, Walt Disney craved adulation from the crowd and acceptance from the intellectuals and critics? They thought these things because they didn’t know Walt Disney, and therein lies the problem.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
His politics comes through because you can tell he is dying to put his politics out there even if he has to force it into his movie introduction. I will turn the channel whenever I see his smug face and can't image suffering through a special hosted by him.
He used to be one of Fox News' laughable dogs. Create the illusion you have a balanced slate because you include a liberal on the panel, but don't hire a credible or likable person. Get one you can easily laugh at and mock (Alan Colmes is another example). Gabler was the liberal wing on Fox Newswatch, which was the only good program on the entire network and one of the best programs on any news network. He was rather a hothead and little man.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Another episode of 2006 Dr Who. I am liking Rose's replacement Freema Agyeman more and more! Oh, exterminate, exterminate, exterminate! Those in the know, will get that joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters