Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Revolution - I only managed to get through an episode and a half before I realized that this interesting premise was merely another "tweener" exercise with two leads who couldn't act their ways out of a paper bag. If a half hour into a show you want to strangle the female lead because of her sheer boneheaded stupidity and lousy acting, you know it's time to leave. Sigh... what absolute rubbage!

Worf

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I watched the Pilot, guess I'll have to see the rest now. Interesting premise, I'd read "Fatherland" and "SS GB so I've always been fascinated by alternative WWII histories. And of course I loved the last installment of "Castle Wolfenstein" which really showed an interesting future where Adolf's boy's had won the war.

Worf

Yeah, I was in two minds about watching the TV show, which was why I didn't check out the pilot in January. But I'm really getting into it. America is kind of creepy and drab under occupation (unless you're a nazi, in which case it's white picket fences and sunshine).
No rock 'n roll, no 50's Cadillacs, and there's nothing I can say that wouldn't be a spoiler.

Another episode of Tiny House Hunters. This one I got, living on Hawaii. I could do a tiny house, with a covered patio, and BBQ or grill, and a place for a motorcycle. I would spend most of my time out side, so just need a bathroom and a bed!

I saw that episode as well. I would hace taken the third house. It looked nice, had a nice patio and came with 3/4 of an acre. :D

Same here! A couple of Armoires, and some shelves would have taken care of storage.

Exactly what I was thinking. It was as if she had never heard of dressers, armoires, shelves, or storage devices. But considering that she took the ugly house that would soon enough need moving and how little she had done to the place three months into living in it, her decisions make sense.
:D

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hardly FL territory, but I've found ABCFamily has been running episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on weekday afternoons, starting with the first episode and going in order. The early scripts were kind of catch-as-catch-can; but when the producers and writers began to set up the epic nature of the Buffy universe, as I recall, the show really took off. Nice to see Buffy, Willow, Xander, Cordelia, and my favorite, Rupert Giles (and his Citroen sedan!) again. Perhaps the channel will also run Angel.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex openers to the new seasons. I continue to enjoy Donovan, but I can't tell you why. I have no good reason to recommend it. Masters of Sex was maybe the best episode since the first season, though they are trying to hit every single issue of the period without putting much development into any of it. We'll see. I hope they prove me wrong, but it is common for Hollywood to drop issues into stories with no intent on doing anything with them. Great for those particular demographics. "They covered our issue!" It's like product placement.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cuban Chrome. I was wondering about those old cars, now I know! [video=youtube;VOMDF_rUXf8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMDF_rUXf8[/video]

Counting Cars on the History Channel. My hubby is an auto body guy, so he loves this show.

This is another History Channel show that started out much better than what it has evolved to. When it first started, there was a real focus on how the cars were restored, what techniques would be used, how (if it was the goal of the particular restoration) to make it as close to the original as possible - all interesting stuff. Also, they focused on older cars. Now (and I stopped watching last season, so it might have changed again), the show de-emphasized or ignored the actual work on the cars and became more about the guys who work there and the "wow" moment of seeing the car after it was restored. It lost its marginal history and educational value.

The exact same thing happened to a show on History called "Rick's Restoration." It started as a show about vintage / old items and the techniques used to restore them and became more of a silly show about the people who own and work in the shop and the "wow" moment. I'm obviously not the viewer History Channel wants as these shows wouldn't keep evolving away from what I like if it was. All that said, it is still fun to see some of the old cars on "Counting Cars" and old items on "Rick's Restoration."

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
This is another History Channel show that started out much better than what it has evolved to. When it first started, there was a real focus on how the cars were restored, what techniques would be used, how (if it was the goal of the particular restoration) to make it as close to the original as possible - all interesting stuff. Also, they focused on older cars. Now (and I stopped watching last season, so it might have changed again), the show de-emphasized or ignored the actual work on the cars and became more about the guys who work there and the "wow" moment of seeing the car after it was restored. It lost its marginal history and educational value.

The exact same thing happened to a show on History called "Rick's Restoration." It started as a show about vintage / old items and the techniques used to restore them and became more of a silly show about the people who own and work in the shop and the "wow" moment. I'm obviously not the viewer History Channel wants as these shows wouldn't keep evolving away from what I like if it was. All that said, it is still fun to see some of the old cars on "Counting Cars" and old items on "Rick's Restoration."

I absolutely agree with you. "Counting Cars" has devolved into more of a reality-type show and it's a shame. They don't focus on the cars, the history, and the techniques like they used to. It's sad.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
This is another History Channel show that started out much better than what it has evolved to.
Every single one of their shows devolves from a skill/craft or interesting industrial situation to just another show about idiots and their personalities acting in fictional scenarios. Money. It's cheaper than all the time and resources involved with research, camera/audio crews having to be on location for long periods, and then editing. It's at least partially the reason they fake most of the things happening on the shows, too. They don't have the time to wait for someone to bring in a rare book to Pawn Stars, so call up the book guru to have her bring over one of her books, that she knows really well, and then do a whole segment on the illusion that someone brought it in off the street, then called up the expert, haggled over price, etc. Or not being able to wait for that '70 Nova to go for sale in a neighborhood in Vegas, so have this $10K classic car magically appear while they're driving around, selling for $5K, and them haggling it down to $2500K so they can make some profit on their restoration (not sure what that completely bogus show is titled; just another History Channel bullsh1tter show). They do this stuff because they can create a season of episodes in a handful of weeks vs unknown amount of time if they waited for them to organically happen. Oh, and because it seems that the audience doesn't care if it is real or fake. That's the part that makes me scratch my head. If none of it is real, what is fun about it?

*A&E is no better

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Ultimate Restorations: The Illions Supreme Carousel. This is not a reality show, this actually shows objects being restored. It is a great series, well worth watching! [video=youtube;z5FbJ92UKOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5FbJ92UKOQ[/video]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Every single one of their shows devolves from a skill/craft or interesting industrial situation to just another show about idiots and their personalities acting in fictional scenarios. Money. It's cheaper than all the time and resources involved with research, camera/audio crews having to be on location for long periods, and then editing. It's at least partially the reason they fake most of the things happening on the shows, too. They don't have the time to wait for someone to bring in a rare book to Pawn Stars, so call up the book guru to have her bring over one of her books, that she knows really well, and then do a whole segment on the illusion that someone brought it in off the street, then called up the expert, haggled over price, etc. Or not being able to wait for that '70 Nova to go for sale in a neighborhood in Vegas, so have this $10K classic car magically appear while they're driving around, selling for $5K, and them haggling it down to $2500K so they can make some profit on their restoration (not sure what that completely bogus show is titled; just another History Channel bullsh1tter show). They do this stuff because they can create a season of episodes in a handful of weeks vs unknown amount of time if they waited for them to organically happen. Oh, and because it seems that the audience doesn't care if it is real or fake. That's the part that makes me scratch my head. If none of it is real, what is fun about it?

*A&E is no better

Totally agree with you. It is all about the money. Such a shame.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Totally agree with you. It is all about the money. Such a shame.

You know what, we get all those shows in Japan too; American Pickers, Counting Cars, American Restoration, Pawn Stars. the thing that strikes me the most is how much they are totally 'cookie cutter' shows. You could swap the people from any of the shows with each other, and it wouldn't make any difference. They all just feel so fake. They are fake 'reality' shows, with a defined 'flavor' (this one is about cars, this one is about antiques). It's 'lazy' TV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112