Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The good news is nothing goes away in our new TV world. Some other PBS station on your cable (or On Demand) or Netflix or Amazon or Hulu or Youtube or whomever has or will have the entire four episodes soon enough. We watched the first two and recorded the last two so, in a way, you're ahead of us, but we'll "catch up" soon. Glad you enjoyed it - so far, we thought it was pretty good and were quite surprised no one else at Fedora had mentioned it.
My problem is that I go to work early, and get up earlier to exercise. So I don't usually stay up to watch Masterpiece -- though I should.

I miss the old TV Guide, in which you could read about what was coming up on your channels farther away than the next 24 hours. When something that interested me premiered, I knew about it, and could give it a try or tape it.

My problem is that I go to work early, and get up earlier to exercise. So I don't usually stay up to watch Masterpiece -- though I should.

I miss the old TV Guide, in which you could read about what was coming up on your channels farther away than the next 24 hours. When something that interested me premiered, I knew about it, and could give it a try or tape it.

Things that have helped me with those same issues include my cable on-screen guide now "sees" two weeks forward. It also has a search feature where I can look for shows by title.

But the biggest thing that helps is also the best value in TV land - $8/mos for a DVR. I just put shows like "My Mother and Other Strangers" in my to-be-recorded "Series Manager" and I no longer even think / worry about when they are on. I have everything we watch regularly set up that way in the DVR and, in truth, I don't know anymore when most of the show I watch are actually on (we go to bed early as I get up very, very early to work out and then start work early). And the DVR allows us to fast forward through all the commercials and other nonsense. I'm not kidding when I say it is, IMHO, the best $8/mos value in TV land.

Last thought, for a show you discover after it premieres, like "My Mother..." you can set the DVR series-record settings for both first-run and repeat episodes and if the older episode is played somewhere / sometimes (which happens more than you think) you'll catch it. I missed the premier of "My Mother..." and caught it just that way when it was replayed very, very early one morning the following week (at least that's what the DVR said happened as it popped up in my recorded shows when I looked later that day).

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"The Teacher," a late first-season episode of Have Gun -- Will Travel, written by series creator Sam Rolfe. Paladin finds himself in a sort of "High Noon" situation over a one-room schoolhouse teacher who, several years after the Civil War, is even-handedly teaching the unpleasant and sometimes terroristic activities of both sides, Sherman and Quantrill. This is Texas, so a local rancher objects to her characterization of Quantrill. Paladin weighs in to defend her rights, as, he says, ". . . a civic duty, as I would vote or sit on a jury." The question is, will Paladin receive any support from the townspeople?

The story features Andrew Duggan and Jack Albertson, and a small speaking role for Lana Wood, Natalie's sister.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Finished off season two of Master of None. A fascinating NYC-based dramedy series a la Louie. The episode "Thanksgiving" - wherein we watch the same family, close friends of protagonist Dev, at a dozen different Thanksgiving dinners over twenty years - was simply the best half-hour TV episode I've watched this year.

Addendum: I see this episode was just nominated for Emmys for Best Writing in a Comedy and Best Guest Actress in a Comedy (Angela Bassett)!

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Snowfall. episode 2. Another beautifully shot and produced episode. They must have a huge budget. The soundtrack is fantastic. Maybe Donny Hathaway royalties aren't as pricey as I'm assuming? Somebody at FX loves Emily Rios. She was also a key character on The Bridge. The only thing that sort of nags at me, but it is unavoidable given the story and whatnot, is how everyone is typecast. Actors gotta work, but whew.

PBS
View attachment 78513
The 20th Century Limited documentary film covers a span of 65 years of operation
on the New York Central Railroad.

Watched it last night. Your subsequent post is spot on - it's a lower-quality production on a really neat topic. The host (Michael Gross who played the father on "Family Ties" 700 years ago) is awkward in the role. Additionally, the editing and transitions are clunky and the overall production has a 1970s feel to it. As you implied, Burns ruined us for documentaries like this.

All that said, the subject matter is fun and while I'm a train-history fan (and, being honest, geek out on this stuff), my girlfriend is a normal person and she, too, enjoyed it despite the aforementioned quality shortcomings. The 20th Century Limited was the pinnacle of high-end passenger train travel during the heyday of railroading in America.

The documentary does a yeoman's job of framing the 20th Century in the larger picture of railroading while delving into the details - on-board secretaries, all private-room sleeper service (for much of its run), hand-picked staff, specially designed cars, etc. - that made it the premiere train of its day. The section on the Henry Dreyfuss - leading industrial designer of the era - designed trains was particularly strong.

If you aren't a rail fan, but a history fan, you'll like it; if you're a rail fan (like me), you'll love it; but it would be so much better if Ken Burns decides the "History of Railroading" needs his attention.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Watched it last night. Your subsequent post is spot on - it's a lower-quality production on a really neat topic. The host (Michael Gross who played the father on "Family Ties" 700 years ago) is awkward in the role. Additionally, the editing and transitions are clunky and the overall production has a 1970s feel to it. As you implied, Burns ruined us for documentaries like this.

All that said, the subject matter is fun and while I'm a train-history fan (and, being honest, geek out on this stuff), my girlfriend is a normal person and she, too, enjoyed it despite the aforementioned quality shortcomings. The 20th Century Limited was the pinnacle of high-end passenger train travel during the heyday of railroading in America.

The documentary does a yeoman's job of framing the 20th Century in the larger picture of railroading while delving into the details - on-board secretaries, all private-room sleeper service (for much of its run), hand-picked staff, specially designed cars, etc. - that made it the premiere train of its day. The section on the Henry Dreyfuss - leading industrial designer of the era - designed trains was particularly strong.

If you aren't a rail fan, but a history fan, you'll like it; if you're a rail fan (like me), you'll love it; but it would be so much better if Ken Burns decides the "History of Railroading" needs his attention.

It's scary but you write what I'm
thinking about most topics.
Except you have a better way
of expressing it.
Others may have tons of more
knowledge to offer but they don't
have the knack of relating with
members like you do.
Thanks.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
History Channel, the other night.
diT0K1zzWW54ErGJJSz1hcQw6IJ.jpg

Nancy.JPG

Hell...if I was Johnse Hatfield, I woulda shot every whiskey-drinkin’ Hatfield
just
to get a morning smile from Nancy. :)

Netflix "Friends from College" about several former Harvard College friends who meet up again in their 40s as their life-paths lead them all to NYC at the same time.

If this was a movie, it would play in Lizzie's theater as the show is all about liberal, elite, wealthy white people problems - I am a successful writer, but not as successful as I thought I would be in my Harvard days (am I selling out if I try to write commercially?) / I'm a successful lawyer who is questioning my values as I gave up my ACLU job to work for a hedge fund (whose employees are ridiculous liberal caricatures of hedge fund employees) for the money / I cheat on my wife (or husband) but I'm really a good person (right, am I? boohoo) / am I a showoff because I invite my friends out to see my incredible country house (with a wine cellar larger than a NYC studio)/ and on and on.

By the end of the second episode, I just wanted them all to die (okay, not die, but they all disgusted me).

Also, they are all "frenemies" (hate that word, but it fits perfectly here) which is beyond my conception as if you aren't really my friend, then I am not going to spend one second more of my life with you than I have to, but these people seek each other out and then are mean to each other. What compels someone to spend their free time with people they are mean to and are mean back to them?

Well my wife and I decided to finish what we started and have begun to watch Season 5 of "House of Cards". I think it jumped the shark back somewhere in Season 4 and this season continues its downward slide. Just don't much care what happens to them at this point but out of cussedness will follow it to its end. Perish the thought there is a 6th season we won't indulge.

Third episode of "My Mother and Other Stories" a solid if a bit stolid at times PBS production about a small Irish village during WWII dealing with the war and the nearby American Army base. It has decent stories, reasonably interesting characters and beautiful period details. I'm surprised at how little attention this show gets here at Fedora. (AmateisGal, you would enjoy this one.)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Netflix "Friends from College" . . .
Also, they are all "frenemies" (hate that word, but it fits perfectly here) which is beyond my conception as if you aren't really my friend, then I am not going to spend one second more of my life with you than I have to, but these people seek each other out and then are mean to each other. What compels someone to spend their free time with people they are mean to and are mean back to them?
Which is why I think Friends resonated with people all over America. The characters tossed off funny lines, but they were likeable and liked each other. The zingers were rarely mean-spirited. (Chandler to Joey, who has been acting as if he's mildly brain-damaged: "When you use a Q-Tip? You're supposed to stop when you meet resistance!")

Last edited:
Which is why I think Friends resonated with people all over America. The characters tosse doff funny lines, but they were likeable and liked each other. The zingers were rarely mean-spirited. (Chandler to Joey, who has been acting as if he's mildly brain-damaged: "When you use a Q-Tip? You're supposed to stop when you meet resistance!")

Great point. There are plenty of angsty shows on TV - plenty of drama, anger, fighting, backstabbing, etc. - but very few good, smart and light sitcoms where you enjoy the characters, have several good laughs and chuckles, no angst and, then, come back next week (or stream another episode).

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Third episode of "My Mother and Other Stories" a solid if a bit stolid at times PBS production about a small Irish village during WWII dealing with the war and the nearby American Army base. It has decent stories, reasonably interesting characters and beautiful period details. I'm surprised at how little attention this show gets here at Fedora. (AmateisGal, you would enjoy this one.)
Last night's was the 3rd episode? I thought it was the 5th?

Miss Linda asked me what it was about. I said, "Period family drama, 1943 Ireland. Drama, not a melodrama or soap opera." My view of those two genres, drama vs. melodrama/soap opera, is that in the former, the characters are doing the best that they can to achieve their goals. They are not setting out to be or to do evil (though it might end up that way). In drama, you don't have a standard femme fatale or manipulator character, as you see in melodramas and soap operas.

Which is what we see in My Mother and Other Strangers: Rose and Michael, the lead couple, are drifting apart, though it horrifies Rose that she's attracted to another man; Rose's sister is a horrible flirt and verging on becoming a drunk, but she doesn't want to be either one; etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points