Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What we have to put up with!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Elgin1924 said:
This must have been some kind of satire. Hats wearing people? Surely this cannot pass for intelligent journalism?

Notice that the column Salusinszky is writing for here is called THE WRY SIDE.

1. twisted, contorted, or askew
2. (of a facial expression) produced or characterized by contorting of the features, usually indicating dislike
3. drily humorous; sardonic
4. warped, misdirected, or perverse
5. (of words, thoughts, etc.) unsuitable or wrong

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I kind of agree to a point with the guy. Everywhere I see "hipsters" wearing these cheap Target-bought trilbys that look like crap. Not only that, but they wear them tilted so far BACKWARDS, I wonder how they don't fall off sometimes. It's like the anti-baseball cap thing to do it seems. I think the new style, cheap cloth hats are very unflattering on most of these people. I've seen a rare one here and there with an actual fur felt hat, and it makes all the difference. Maybe I'm just idealogical, maybe I'm just stodgy, or perhaps my standards are too high.

jwalls

Vendor
Is there any reason to expect decent reportage from Aussie media when our own is so corrupt. :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Fedora Jay said:
I kind of agree to a point with the guy. Everywhere I see "hipsters" wearing these cheap Target-bought trilbys that look like crap. Not only that, but they wear them tilted so far BACKWARDS, I wonder how they don't fall off sometimes. It's like the anti-baseball cap thing to do it seems. I think the new style, cheap cloth hats are very unflattering on most of these people. I've seen a rare one here and there with an actual fur felt hat, and it makes all the difference. Maybe I'm just idealogical, maybe I'm just stodgy, or perhaps my standards are too high.

I have seen people they look decent on, but normally the kind of people who look good regardless of what they are wearing. In my opinion, it is a step in the right direction. First they start wearing a cloth trilby from target, then it gets hot, they pick up a cheap panama with a bit more brim (still stingy) then next thing you know, bam! a bunch of new Lounge members being educated in real hats and proper clothing.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have few friends, if any....
Got a 4.0 my freshman year of college...
Watch SciFi, anime, and Quentin Tarantino...
Wear brimmed hats...
Still trying to get a real job at 19 years of age...
Aspiring to join the medical profession...

...Okay, so I'm a dork, I'll give them that. As long as being a dork makes it okay for me to wear my fedoras. [huh]

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Fedora Jay said:

That is what he is talking about. Any resemblance to actual fl members with nice hats is strictly accidental. So don't take such offense. OF course, he does not know enough to distinguish. but if the hipsters were wearing quality hats I don't think the trend would be so maligned. OF course, I doubt that would ever happen.

facade

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
I have few friends, if any....
Got a 4.0 my freshman year of college...
Watch SciFi, anime, and Quentin Tarantino...
Wear brimmed hats...
Still trying to get a real job at 19 years of age...
Aspiring to join the medical profession...

...Okay, so I'm a dork, I'll give them that. As long as being a dork makes it okay for me to wear my fedoras. [huh]

Dude, you so have gamer written all over you. Get into an RPG. The kind you do with live people instead of a computer screen. This is an actual serious suggestion and not meant as a burn of any kind.

Neophyte

facade said:
Dude, you so have gamer written all over you. Get into an RPG. The kind you do with live people instead of a computer screen. This is an actual serious suggestion and not meant as a burn of any kind.

Damn...forgot to mention...Xbox owner...:eek:

Neophyte

facade said:
If you move that interest from the box to the tabletop, you'll be able to strike the "if any" portion of your profile.

Oh, believe me...it's not any stigma or dorkiness that drives them away. I heavily mask my dorkiness with a bitter, cynical, but somehow charming personality. Don't ask me why, but people love it.

If I was a little less introverted, I might give people more of my time, and would recieve the same in return. But I don't feel lonely, and thus feel little need to make connections, especially since, on the path I'm headed, I'm bound to leave tons of people behind. Maybe when I'm closer to my destination, I'll have time to slow down and commit my time to developing connections and relationships. Currently, though, my only really STRONG relationships are with my immediate and extended family, and to some extent, their friends.

As I've stated before, I'm of the "eccentric loner" type, which grants me a license to wear a fedora and not really care what other people think...well, unless they have something positive to say :D . So, in terms of the title of this thread, I don't really have to put up with much, as I've mastered a particular "stare" that tells people to back off (and they themselves have told me this). And as much of a b*st*rd as this is gonna make me sound like, I don't really feel like most of my fellow GenX (well, people my age, whatever we're called now) are worth my time.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
reetpleat said:
That is what he is talking about. Any resemblance to actual fl members with nice hats is strictly accidental. So don't take such offense. OF course, he does not know enough to distinguish. but if the hipsters were wearing quality hats I don't think the trend would be so maligned. OF course, I doubt that would ever happen.

Not to parse this guy's commentary like it's a piece in some junior level college lit class, but I think he does feel that all hat wearers are dorks regardless of the brand. Akubra is not a cheap throwaway brand, and I quote:

"In Australia, there have been hats that chose to wear dorks long before the current trend. For example, akubras that migrated to the cities always sported a dork."

Obviously, in his book, ball caps are okay and brimmed hats are not. The fact is, this forum would not exist as it is if hats happened to be in fashion (that is not to say that hats are not stylish or fashionable--I'm saying that most people don't wear them). We all make our stylistic choices and there is always that conventional guy who wants to make fun of them. I might think ball caps are dorky (which I do) but I wouldn't make my living ridiculing those that wear them. Same goes for the cheap trilbies and fedoras--to each his own.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Yeps said:
I have seen people they look decent on, but normally the kind of people who look good regardless of what they are wearing. In my opinion, it is a step in the right direction. First they start wearing a cloth trilby from target, then it gets hot, they pick up a cheap panama with a bit more brim (still stingy) then next thing you know, bam! a bunch of new Lounge members being educated in real hats and proper clothing.

That's the best case scenario. I'm not holding out hope for most of them though! Working in a book store for nearly six years supervising a bunch of 18-25 year olds really got me down on the current generation. Except the likes of Neophyte. He sounds okay in my book! ('cept for the 360, but I can forgive that. PC gamer for life here!)

Neophyte

Believe me, if I understood anything about how computers work and hat a PC powerful enough to actually run a game (tried WoW, very laggy and gave my computer several viruses just trying to lower my PC's security to intall the game).

At any rate, I've seen several fedoras around the university campus, and more fur felt than wool or cotton, if you can believe it. They're still stingy brim and worn quite a ways back on the head (how the hell do they stay on?), but hey, if you're wearing fur your in the right direction.

I also went touring around the university, applying for jobs (only had one my whole life, if you can believe it), and I saw an African American businessman in what I have to think was some type of Optimo, judging by the appearance of the hat. It was black, low crown center dent, with a white ribbon and white brim binding. It was very, very nice. I wanted to take a picture of him, but as soon as I pulled out my phone camera, everyone in the general direction was looking at me suspiciously, including the guy in the hat. I guess I must have been staring.:eek: :eek: lol

Fatman

New in Town
I don't like how they have attacked sideburns. I love my sideburns. And my cap. And my fedora.

Also, I am a computer programmer.

I guess I might be a dork then.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
See, I got into fur felt hats because when I saw those cheap cloth trilbies with cardboard inside I just knew they weren't the right hat I was looking for. I refused to wear them, always wondering to myself "why don't they look like the fedoras from the movies? Where do I find them?"

It took a bit of research before I understood about grades of material, crown bashing and so on. Eventually I found City Hatters and plucked up the courage to spend $130 AUD on my Akubra Bogart. Nowadays, that seems like chump change as I delve into custom orders like Art Fawcett.

But anyway, I suspect most people who buy the cloth trilbies are satisfied in thinking they are proper quality Fedoras.

Neophyte

I know right. I maintain a faint goatee and sideburns to accentuate the lines of my face...it's not like I don't care about my appearance. People I know like me better with a little bit of facial hair, and so do I.
...does that make me a hipster?

Oh well, the article is meant to be wry satire.

Fatman

New in Town
I just came back from getting the lunch, and while I was down the street I saw 2 chaps with non-paper fedoras. A felt and a straw.

It's catching on.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The writer is just one of many who criticize new or returning trends. Note his use of "normal." He's thinking in terms of what he knows and grew up with, and everything outside of that is "abnormal." This sort of rejection is fairly common when the wind starts to change, and is often a sign that a wider acceptance is on the horizon.

Although I disagree with him completely, I don't take anything away from him. He writes like I do when in "Op/Ed" mode. It's an opinion piece, well executed, cleverly staged, and makes a clear point. A point that we happen to oppose. At least he owns up to his own inner, oppressed dork. ;)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
At first, I thought, "Jeez, that is poorly written and by someone whose expertise doesn't qualify him to opine on such matters".

But then I SAW the man...
http://www.australiacouncil.gov.au/about_us/the_council/members/dr_imre_salusinszky

...and I realized that when someone is as cool, as dashing, as visually impressive as he is, well he can just dish out as many insults at as many others about their style and appearance as he wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk