Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What we have to put up with!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just typed in "Fedora Lounge haters" and that's what I got. I'm not trying to get everyone stirred up, although that kinda seems like the point of this whole thread to begin with. I found it rather amusing to see what it's like on the other side of the fence.

Undertow

I'm not sure why I even read that article, if you could call that "blog entry" and article. But I suppose that's what passes for "opinion" articles now.

In any case, I was no more offended by this article than I would be offended by a NASCAR fan passing judgement on a ball game, or 5th grader deriding CSPAN.

There were no valid points made throughout the commentary, nothing was provided to assist me with the writer's perspective. Why did the writer feel hats were dorky? How did this affect anyone but the writer? What contrasting perspective should I have been encouraged to avoid?

This was more or less name calling, the caliber of which you could find with some of the school children the writer mentioned. I found the "article" neither funny, nor offensive, nor really much of anything. It was a page of subjective opinion that provided no tangible argument. [huh]

Derek WC

Banned
frussell said:
I was shocked and outraged at what I read. As a matter of fact, I was so shocked and outraged by post #39 on the filmnoirbuff thread that I had to keep going back and looking at it again and again.

Hmm... post 39 shocked me so much that I looked at the Fedora Lounge FAQ and discovered

"please make sure that there is no nudity (especially exposed breasts) allowed to be shown or linked to from our site"

Not to sound rude, but I was shocked and angered to seeing that, especially from the Fedora Lounge of all places.

Neophyte

donnc said:
I don't know ... I read through one of the threads, and it seemed to me that on the whole they were mostly having some fun. At other people's expense, and maybe often unfairly so, but in a way it's kind of a refreshing contrast to the unfailingly supportive lounge atmosphere.

The thing is, if you walk up to a crowd like that and ask `should I wear a fedora', the best answer is "no". Because you had to ask. If you're reading and think, `hm, looks like maybe I shouldn't wear a fedora either', then right, you shouldn't. If you're thinking nice fedoras are the fashion choice of beautiful people this year, then you need to look around, it isn't anything like that. Etc. In that thread one example of a guy sporting a wide brim fedora did get some respect, but `don't think you can be like him!'

These people are a reliable resource, for someone who might approach the question from that perspective. And while we may scoff, that perspective is the natural human condition to some extent - no mentally normal person is utterly unconcerned about the impression he or she makes, and it's governed by a pretty complex function of personal and cultural influences that take a lot of skill and acuity to master. Their basic message is very good advice for anyone who wants it. This isn't the '30s, where the fedora is the boring hat on every head, and from a fashion perspective it's very tricky and very likely to fail. (I mean, not that I would really know from fashion, but I think I get what they're saying.)

I personally don't think I got any direction from the haters. I guess I've always considered myself irredeemable from a fashion standpoint, funny looking guy who might as well don some funny looking hat to complete the effect, so while of course I care how I look, what works for the masses will not work for me, so I reckon I'm kind of on my own on how to make it work. And the haters' advice doesn't appy to me, because I didn't ask.

I hadn't thought about it that way. You're right though. :eusa_clap

Moral of the Story: If you have to ask.........

Neophyte

Derek WC said:
Hmm... post 39 shocked me so much that I looked at the Fedora Lounge FAQ and discovered

"please make sure that there is no nudity (especially exposed breasts) allowed to be shown or linked to from our site"

Not to sound rude, but I was shocked and angered to seeing that, especially from the Fedora Lounge of all places.

I apologize, sirs. I somehow didn't notice that until everyone started mentioning it. I'll eliminate that link right away. Forgive me :eek: .

Alright, as of 1:18 PM, the link in question has been removed. I apologize again, as I was unaware of both the rule and the offending post.

Derek WC

Banned
No hard feelings Neophyte, eh? :cheers1:

Edit:
:eek: I certainly have bad memory, but I am not sure if it was you, Fenris or both of you that had the link, because I noticed that Fenris has a link to the same website.

My apologies if I was wrong.

Neophyte

I'm not quite of age for the :cheers1: yet, but I will have some :coffee: .

Just another learning experience, the lesson of which is: read the rules, then properly screen your submissions.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to give this nonesense a bump only to say this. Haven't we had enough of this thread and the thread with the fantastical exchanges between people who don't like hats and those that do. It used to be wonderful to dig through all these fun and interesting threads before the focus became what goofy comments strangers may make. Some people dislike hats and others do, howabout since we do like hats we focus on that and not some comments from anonymous people who none of us will likely interact with. The PM feature is a wonderful tool on here and would likely be a great way to discuss this topic because so few contribute to these threads that keep finding their way to the top.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
BanjoMerlin said:
And we should care even just the tiniest bit about anything this guy says about dorks?
anchor.jpg

He probably looks great in a ball cap!

This tool has "dweeb" written all over him.

Also, "cool" people like him should be kind to us geeks. He'll likely be needing to ask one of us for a job one day, as all "cool" people do.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
I'm not quite of age for the :cheers1: yet, but I will have some :coffee: .

Just another learning experience, the lesson of which is: read the rules, then properly screen your submissions.

Come up to Canada, at 19 you're able to enjoy some suds!

metropd

One Too Many
Its always nice when a journalist states in his intro "I'm no fashion Guru....." and then proceeds in his body to give us fashion and personal style advice.

fenris

One of the Regulars
metropd said:
Its always nice when a journalist states in his intro "I'm no fashion Guru....." and then proceeds in his body to give us fashion and personal style advice.

It's like some people who say, "With all due respect..." but are actually about to impart loads of disrespect.

Edward

Bartender
fenris said:
It's like some people who say, "With all due respect..." but are actually about to impart loads of disrespect.

Or "I'm not a racist, but....", which never in my life have I heard uttered ahead of anything other than an appallingly racist statement!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I don't know... he looks like a salesman to me. [huh] You know, that very particular sub-set of salesman, who is artificially pleasant at all times, never too happy, too sad, or too mad. Just pleasant, and always sellikng... and pleased as punch that a hat-centric message board would spotlight him for 5+ pages over the course of a week. Sale Closed! :rolleyes:

Undertow

handlebar bart said:
I'm going to give this nonesense a bump only to say this. Haven't we had enough of this thread and the thread with the fantastical exchanges between people who don't like hats and those that do. It used to be wonderful to dig through all these fun and interesting threads before the focus became what goofy comments strangers may make. Some people dislike hats and others do, howabout since we do like hats we focus on that and not some comments from anonymous people who none of us will likely interact with. The PM feature is a wonderful tool on here and would likely be a great way to discuss this topic because so few contribute to these threads that keep finding their way to the top.

I don't disagree with you, but I suggest taking additional consideration.

All of us come to the Lounge with different sets of skills, ideas, and strengths. As a result, some of us aren't as developed in our ability to turn a calloused cheek to this kind of derision. I think it's better to have a few threads like this than it is to ignore the situation altogether.

On the other hand, I agree we should leave suckers like this to their own blogging and stewing.

In any case, the Lounge is both a place to discuss our love for the vintage, but I think it also assists some of us with our development as gentlemen. Follow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21