Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What we have to put up with!

fenris

One of the Regulars
He was mostly dissing the below 30 crowd... Although he did mouth off about older men wearing hats, but the article was mostly directed at teens and 20-somethings who wear hats to be "hip".

I think he's just insecure... I'm sure deep inside he's always wanted to wear a real hat, but he's scared that stupid people (like him) will make fun of him.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, I just found another one...and check this: they posted photos of known loungers around here as examples! Such as IndyCop and Carzaman!

It's sad, really. This guy asked for information about hats and all he got was the teensiest bit of good advice and a lot of condescension.

Looks like us Loungers have A LOT of haters out there:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3312808.

This one is likely to throw some of you into a murderous rage lol .

Neophyte

It's funny, most people think fedoras and other types of hats are lame and dorky, because they think people are out to get attention and like costuming.

What they don't realize is that the fedora, in its day, was the everyman's hat. You didn't have to look like a celebrity to wear one.....

I wish people were just a little more intelligent, just a little. Oh well.

I honestly can't wait to go back to college and see what happens when someone tries to provoke me. Extra points if they're drunk...

fenris

One of the Regulars
* EDIT * I see you added more posts as I was writing this one... This is in response to the 1st link you posted:

Hmmmm... Each person will always his own point of view.

But they don't seem to be dissing our love of hats. It's the vintage clothing they are dissing (well, mostly) and the experts on vintage clothing over here (I wouldn't know they're referring to as I'm not into vintage clothing). The hats aren't discussed that much in their rants.

It's not a hat bashing thread (pun intended), but a vintage clothing bashing thread.

But the best post came from a guy named Wasp:
"My father once told me, 'don't criticize another man, he may not have had the same opportunities as you.' Being born is like a lottery, you could have had a defect or lived in poverty in India. The people on Fedora Lounge may be different, but it's their lives and makes them happy - so keep the criticizing to yourselves."

Neophyte

lol

I did indeed like that particular post. And yes, the first one is more about vintage clothing, but since a lot of the people in the Hat section contribute to the others, I thought that maybe someone would find it...poignant. I myself am not into vintage...well, anything, really, but I admire the ideal.

The second, though, is all about fedoras. It is also the more...amusing, of the two.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
The second, though, is all about fedoras. It is also the more...amusing, of the two.

Mixed feelings on that thread. The only thing that bothers me there is they posted pics of members here and openly criticized them.

Oh, well... I always knew it would be hard to justify wearing a wide-brimmed hat to everyone. Especially nowadays that fedora wearing just isn't "fashionable". Even my wife used to hate it when I wore my hat, but has gradually accepted it. My mom on the other hand, seems to like it.

It's funny how people still see a hat as a costume and not a piece of clothing.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
It's funny, most people think fedoras and other types of hats are lame and dorky, because they think people are out to get attention and like costuming.

What they don't realize is that the fedora, in its day, was the everyman's hat. You didn't have to look like a celebrity to wear one.....

I kind of enjoy the fact that I am wearing something that nobody else does anymore, especially now that I know I am wearing quality hats instead of cheap cloth stingy-brims. Some people might see me and think "wow, that guy is a try hard" but others might stop and say "Wow, where did he get that hat? It looks so much nicer than the fedoras I find in stores..."

LordBest

Practically Family
A great many very angry, very sad little people on those forums. Hat critics seem to obsessed with not appearing to look like 'fags' and damaging their chances at attracting females. I believe it says far more about their own insecurities than anything else. They try and hide their insecurities behind a mask of righteous indignation and mockery of people who do stand out by dressing differently, hence the little tags (like iGent) and whatnot. I feel a great deal of pity for such mediocrity. Well, I would, if I could be bothered.

Neophyte

LordBest said:
A great many very angry, very sad little people on those forums. I believe it says far more about their own insecurities than anything else. They try and hide their insecurities behind a mask of righteous indignation and mockery of people who do stand out by dressing differently, hence the little tags (like iGent) and whatnot.

Not to detract from that statement, but I doubt a great many of these people have even that much...shall we call it "depth" or "character." lol
There's a term for this...I think it's "sheeple."

As an incredibly introverted introvert, I spend more time in my own head than I do in the world and with the people around me. It's always hard for me to believe that a lot of people are actually this shallow...

...I did find the iGent statement partcularly amusing. I'm ashamed, though, because most of these people are probably in my age group...

Neophyte

St.Ignatz said:
An age profile would be interesting on the "Flay the FL" rants. There sure is an awful lot of venom being generated in those posts. I guess hip snobs have more energy than hat snobs.;)
Tom D.

lol

:eusa_clap

donnc

One of the Regulars
LordBest said:
A great many very angry, very sad little people on those forums.

I don't know ... I read through one of the threads, and it seemed to me that on the whole they were mostly having some fun. At other people's expense, and maybe often unfairly so, but in a way it's kind of a refreshing contrast to the unfailingly supportive lounge atmosphere.

The thing is, if you walk up to a crowd like that and ask `should I wear a fedora', the best answer is "no". Because you had to ask. If you're reading and think, `hm, looks like maybe I shouldn't wear a fedora either', then right, you shouldn't. If you're thinking nice fedoras are the fashion choice of beautiful people this year, then you need to look around, it isn't anything like that. Etc. In that thread one example of a guy sporting a wide brim fedora did get some respect, but `don't think you can be like him!'

These people are a reliable resource, for someone who might approach the question from that perspective. And while we may scoff, that perspective is the natural human condition to some extent - no mentally normal person is utterly unconcerned about the impression he or she makes, and it's governed by a pretty complex function of personal and cultural influences that take a lot of skill and acuity to master. Their basic message is very good advice for anyone who wants it. This isn't the '30s, where the fedora is the boring hat on every head, and from a fashion perspective it's very tricky and very likely to fail. (I mean, not that I would really know from fashion, but I think I get what they're saying.)

I personally don't think I got any direction from the haters. I guess I've always considered myself irredeemable from a fashion standpoint, funny looking guy who might as well don some funny looking hat to complete the effect, so while of course I care how I look, what works for the masses will not work for me, so I reckon I'm kind of on my own on how to make it work. And the haters' advice doesn't appy to me, because I didn't ask.

Tiller

Practically Family
Please. If these guys are looking for tips to get women online, their clothing choice is the lest of their worries. What ever happened to being a man and doing what you want?

"Does a Fedora make me look like a dork?"

Yes, if you need other people to tell you its ok to do something your a dork.

Grow a pair, live your own life, and the hell with the rest of the world.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The Lark said:
I kind of enjoy the fact that I am wearing something that nobody else does anymore, especially now that I know I am wearing quality hats instead of cheap cloth stingy-brims. Some people might see me and think "wow, that guy is a try hard" but others might stop and say "Wow, where did he get that hat? It looks so much nicer than the fedoras I find in stores..."

I agree with this, The Lark. For some reason I am enjoying the fact that I am wearing something that's no longer de rigeuer in society anymore. It doesn't hurt that I'm not the only one doing it, of course.

The people on those message boards Neophyte found out mostly seem to be afraid to try something different, or too different from the current norms. While I respect and tolerate anyone's decision to look like a "normal" member of society, it's got a point where I couldn't care less about what most other people are thinking in public while I'm wearing a fedora and even a tie. For the record, I'm usually the guy that dresses slightly more "formal," for lack of a better term, than most others in the same room or area.

Yes, I've been accused of being overdressed before (ironically, the hat is what does it in most cases), especially by some immediate family members, but I'm convinced that I'm just being myself, and enjoying what I consider to be a hobby. I don't think wearing a t-shirt (without it being an undergarment), shorts, and a baseball cap is very reflective of who I am, although I used to do this over a couple of years ago, usually without a hat or cap ever...

Sure, I go about my business, and I know in the first place that there are indeed going to be some negative thoughts or reactions to the getup. Most of the time, nobody says a word. Sometimes, I'll get compliments. Rarely, I'll get what I perceive to be something of an insult, but then I think that some of these may have been originally intended as compliments anyway, if not necessarily clear.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
It's sad, really. This guy asked for information about hats and all he got was the teensiest bit of good advice and a lot of condescension.
It's SomethingAwful. He got much better advice than I'd've expected. lol

There's a natural inclination in humans - like wants to associate with like. IIRC, there was a study done recently that made headlines in some places as "babies are racist." It boiled down to infants preferring to be with people of their own ethnic group/skin color/whatever.

When people see something out of the ordinary, they take notice. Sometimes they take offense. It can put them out of their comfort zone. It tends to get a love/hate reception, and nothing inbetween. It's either "exotic" or "a damn furriner".

LordBest

Practically Family
I was thinking of those persons which posted pictures of the Loungers and made fun of them. Beyond that I broadly agree with you. If you have to ask, then it probably isn't for you*.
I'm not handsome, suave or what have you, and wearing a hat won't make me any of these things. I wear them because I like them, and I like the way they look on me. I dare say a lot of people think I look stupid, but they would anyway, and if I couldn't care less.

*EDIT: Or, at least, not yet, depending on the nature of your specific enquiry, see posts below.

donnc said:
I don't know ... I read through one of the threads, and it seemed to me that on the whole they were mostly having some fun. At other people's expense, and maybe often unfairly so, but in a way it's kind of a refreshing contrast to the unfailingly supportive lounge atmosphere.

The thing is, if you walk up to a crowd like that and ask `should I wear a fedora', the best answer is "no". Because you had to ask. If you're reading and think, `hm, looks like maybe I shouldn't wear a fedora either', then right, you shouldn't. If you're thinking nice fedoras are the fashion choice of beautiful people this year, then you need to look around, it isn't anything like that. Etc. In that thread one example of a guy sporting a wide brim fedora did get some respect, but `don't think you can be like him!'

These people are a reliable resource, for someone who might approach the question from that perspective. And while we may scoff, that perspective is the natural human condition to some extent - no mentally normal person is utterly unconcerned about the impression he or she makes, and it's governed by a pretty complex function of personal and cultural influences that take a lot of skill and acuity to master. Their basic message is very good advice for anyone who wants it. This isn't the '30s, where the fedora is the boring hat on every head, and from a fashion perspective it's very tricky and very likely to fail. (I mean, not that I would really know from fashion, but I think I get what they're saying.)

I personally don't think I got any direction from the haters. I guess I've always considered myself irredeemable from a fashion standpoint, funny looking guy who might as well don some funny looking hat to complete the effect, so while of course I care how I look, what works for the masses will not work for me, so I reckon I'm kind of on my own on how to make it work. And the haters' advice doesn't appy to me, because I didn't ask.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Following up on LordBest's post, I'll be the first to admit in this thread here that I have indeed asked first, on another forum, if fedoras are a good idea. Even then however, I was inclined towards the more classic look of fedoras rather than what may be currently considered hip.

This is was when my interest began to start, pretty much:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282047

Alright, I'm done there... I think that thread speaks for itself. This was about a whole year ago, for the record, before I even bought a wool fedora and cheap straw.

LordBest

Practically Family
You were asking because you liked them and had an interest, the person in a previous link was asking because he thought they were coming back into fashion and wondered whether he should get in on the trend early.

J B said:
Following up on LordBest's post, I'll be the first to admit in this thread here that I have indeed asked first, on another forum, if fedoras are a good idea. Even then however, I was inclined towards the more classic look of fedoras rather than what may be currently considered hip.

This is was when my interest began to start, pretty much:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282047

Alright, I'm done there... I think that thread speaks for itself. This was about a whole year ago, for the record, before I even bought a wool fedora and cheap straw.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
LordBest said:
You were asking because you liked them and had an interest, the person in a previous link was asking because he thought they were coming back into fashion and wondered whether he should get in on the trend early.

True, even then I was genuinely fascinated with them (if I can remember, as recently as 2006 when I had seen The Godfather for the first time) and intrigued with the idea of owning and wearing one for myself. You are right about the other person though, as he seemed to be overly concerned about current fashion, rather than appreciating a hat on its own merits.

frussell

One Too Many
Horrors!

I was shocked and outraged at what I read. As a matter of fact, I was so shocked and outraged by post #39 on the filmnoirbuff thread that I had to keep going back and looking at it again and again. I'm sure if you have the time to spend (like I obviously did tonight), you can look around on the internet and find "haters" posting negativity about anything you love or enjoy. Wankers are pretty easy to find on the web. Do we need to bring that over here and try to get everyone stirred up? Just a thought. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy