Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What we have to put up with!

Tone

A-List Customer
I find it's a very intelligent nod in observation that hats are becoming more popular while hinting toward the fact - specifically to the hipsters in bucket hats and/or hat douches in giant crowns and narrow brims - that better quality classic hats (including the aesthetically balanced and traditional models legitimate to the golden era) would be much more suitable than the half-hearted stuff that's being used out there at the moment. If it's to take hold.

In a very roundabout way, the author is inviting the trend of hat-wearing and calling those who wear them to step it up to the classics when the hats didn't look forced by some wistful romantic interpretation of what they should be, but somehow right in their function on the wearers at the same time.

guitarman

New in Town
Re;

I look at it this way-I'm going to wear what I want, when I want, and could care less about what anyone thinks.You dont like my oilskin hats ? Oh well !! You dont like my safari hat ? Oh well !! Ive never been a fashion follower, so if someone thinks I'm a dork, then call me MR DORK !!:p

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Righto, Guitarman.
If someone's to comment on my appearance, I shall do the same, and I'll add a little extra :fing28: as well.

However, let's not get defensive. Part of the fedora's appeal is the attitude of the wearer, which should be gentleman-like. The point is not to defend your quirks to the opposition, but rather to consider the opposition below you and, without provokation, be on your merry way.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
And we should care even just the tiniest bit about anything this guy says about dorks?
anchor.jpg

He probably looks great in a ball cap!

facade said:
Its an opinion/blog piece meant to be funny (hence the title "The Wry Side") its not intended to be journalism.

Obviously the author is not a fan of fashionable hats. One point is quite correct though. If one looks like they are wearing a costume, then they do look foolish.

Yup.

The operative phrase is "meant to be funny." Not that it actually is funny, or at least not in the way the author apparently intended.

But then, I really don't expect much by way of quality humor from a column that brands itself "The Wry Side," for pretty much the same reason I tend to distrust people who go out of their way to tell me how honest they are.

I'm right with you on that "costume" observation. It's well covered territory around here, but it bears repeating: Wear your hat (or suit or whatever), don't let it wear you.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
"The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis"? There's reaching back into the time capsule of old, obscure television. Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebs did not wear a hat that I can recall. Maybe the occasional beret when beating his bongos in public. He did sport sideburns and goatee though. It wasn't until "Gilligan's Island" that Bob wore the protective sailor's cap to keep his head from being baked on that tropical island. At least Gilligan had more common sense that this writer who only wore a panama for a couple of years in the 1980's. I think he may of boiled his bloomin' head. Hats aren't just a fashion accessory, they also protect us from the elements. Baseball caps in the Summer worn by those who are normal and unaffected? Sir, forget "Dobie Gillis", watch reruns of "Gilligan" instead. You could at least pick up some hat sense from the Skippers little buddy. :)

texashatman

Familiar Face
This was truly a horrible article by a less than talented "journalist". I understand he meant it to be satirical or witty but overall it's just poorly written.

I am 6' 4'' and about 250lbs so I don't get a lot of smart ass comments. People may think I look "dorky" but at least they keep thier mouths shut.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Well, I don't know. perhaps the article "smarts" a bit when I read it because there are elements that are true. But I don't wear fedoras to try and "look cool". Fedoras for me are part of an overall package and pursuit of trying to class up my look and increase my overall style. But I'm not interested in pursuing Parisian or trendy styles of the moment. I want classic, classy looks.

But yes... I'm probably a dork. I mean... I'm 35 and still find Lego sets fascinating to build. Not exactly considered "cool", I suppose?

shortbow

Practically Family
This fool's ramblings remind me of two things: Why I quit the newspaper business and "When you point the finger, three are pointing back."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto