Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you wear to a theme park?

Emer

One of the Regulars
Our anniversary is this weekend and we're going to Universal Studios in L.A. to celebrate! I want to put together some sort of vintage look, but there will be a lot of walking, a lot of rides, and the (good) possibility of rain. I have only one set of vintage-style jeans, which I can definitely work with in a pinch. But what should I wear on my feet to stay dry, warm, and most importantly, blister-free??

PS: I apologize for the constant "what should I wear?" posts, but I'm still on the clueless end when it comes to certain occasions and vintage clothing.

KittyVonKirsche

Familiar Face
I like your what should I wear posts as youre saving me having to ask lol

Vintage jeans... maybe ballet flats? or plimsoles? If it were me Id go with a pair of bright red Chucks. If I had some lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Saddleshoes! The chucks are a good recommendation, but only if you ad an insole with arch support. I find that chucks don't offer enough support.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Probably a dress with tights and flats, maybe a sweater and raincoat depending on temperature. However this would probably be impractical in the rain, and your feet would probably freeze if they got wet. Have any cute waterproof boots or shoes?

Universal City will be not so fun in the rain. :(

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'd wear Keds with the jeans. I never found ballet flats all that comfortable. Also, they might fall off on a ride if your feet are dangling.

If there's a good chance your feet will get wet (torrential rain predicted, water rides) I'd also bring an extra pair of socks.

Emer

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
Saddleshoes! The chucks are a good recommendation, but only if you ad an insole with arch support. I find that chucks don't offer enough support.

Saddle shoes are a great idea--especially since I've REALLY been wanting a pair. I too like Converse, but they tend to hurt my heel.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I happen to have Edith Head's book The Dress Doctor handy. :) She has a whole section on what to wear for different occasions. Under "Amusement Parks":

Spectator sport clothes - skirt + sweater or blouse, or sport dress (ed. - clearly she wasn't going on any roller coasters!!), sport suit, or simple street dress; + comfortable shoes + sweater or jacket at night. Hat and gloves optional.

That's the 1959 take on it, anyway. I, however, would say a hat is practically essential if it's hot. Gloves on the other hand... :)

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
a hat would probably fly off!

If your jeans are long enough, i'd say go with boots, long jeans will cover most of the shoe. I love chucks, but they don't help you stay dry!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All the different types of shoes mentioned so far are excellent choices -- I'd go with the saddles myself, since I wear mine everywhere in the summer -- but just as important as the shoes if you're going to be on your feet is a good pair of soft cotton socks. Not thin fashion socks, either -- good, absorbent, cotton bobby socks are the way to go. On *no* account go sockless. Your feet will thank you.

Edward

Bartender
For something Chucks-stylee, but with arch support, try PF Flyers (they also have the bonus of not being owned by Nike, which is why I stopped buying Converse years ago).

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Emer said:
Our anniversary is this weekend and we're going to Universal Studios in L.A. to celebrate! I want to put together some sort of vintage look, but there will be a lot of walking, a lot of rides, and the (good) possibility of rain. I have only one set of vintage-style jeans, which I can definitely work with in a pinch. But what should I wear on my feet to stay dry, warm, and most importantly, blister-free??

PS: I apologize for the constant "what should I wear?" posts, but I'm still on the clueless end when it comes to certain occasions and vintage clothing.

I'm curious, what did you wear?
For me it's been too cold, so I would have worn pants. Unless it's really hot out, I won't do a skirt/dress.

Emer

One of the Regulars
001_2-2.jpg

This is what I wore! I absolutely love my Keds, they are the most confortable things I've ever worn! I'm wearing little bootie socks, which you can't tell in the picture. I was very happy I went with something more "inspired" than actually vintage because...

Hollywood039_2.jpg

...I got soaked on one of the rides! Had this been a vintage outfit I would have cried! lol And I fully plan to buy about 3 more pairs of Keds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner