Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a martingale?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Over at Sleevehead's blog, he discusses having an overcoat made with, among other features, a "martingale (half-belt) back".
However, the photos show no belt in back...maybe it hadn't been installed yet.
3283201305_b6d5536da6.jpg

Anyway, I've never heard the term martingale applied to a beltback design. What does it signify?

anon`

One Too Many
I've always known a martingale to be a piece of equestrian tack, attached to the cinch and bridle and used to keep the horse from moving it's nose beyond some particular point.

No bloody clue what it refers to with respect to tack meant to be worn by people. I was able to find a dictionary reference which included (last, at number four) the following: "A loose half belt or strap placed on the back of a garment, such as a coat or jacket."
This makes me think of the sort of belt you'd expect to find on a polo coat?

(Apparently, it can also refer to a betting strategy or a probability theorem. Why I can find this information without even trying, yet not a single definitive reference to it in clothing is quite beyond me.)

Charlie

Familiar Face
Hello

It's a french term :it's a loop of leather or cloth attached to the back of the clothes to adjust the waist. Originaly the habitants of Martigues in Provence during the XVII century used to wear trousers with a "pont" in the back, like marine trousers but the buttons was in the back (on the bottom).

In french, it meens also a way to gamble by double the bid each time, it's also a piece af leather for horses. It's also a term of marine .

Bye

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn