Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

Just coffee and croissants-the Chicago Sun Times had not been delivered at Starbucks for the 05:00 dawn opening.:(

I moved to on-line paper subscriptions for just this reason - I am an insanely early riser (I've had insomnia my entire life) and my morning is ruined if I can't read the paper.

I need to physically hold the paper. Mainly the sports page gets read at Starbucks, while the commute covers all the other non-essential stuff.:D

I hear ya - I was kicking and screaming when I made the shift. Physical newspapers opened the world up to me as a kid and for half my adult life - but as on-line became popular, physical delivery became later and less reliable - my hand was forced.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I hear ya - Physical newspapers opened the world up to me as a kid and for half my adult life - but as on-line became popular, physical delivery became later and less reliable - my hand was forced.

The New York Times allows for ten free articles a month; though the Wall Street Journal is a closed off freebie. And all the academic journals/law reviews I can find
are all hit-and-miss, and the college lit stuff especially so. But I just love culling the internet for all low hanging free reading fruit.:D

The New York Times allows for ten free articles a month; though the Wall Street Journal is a closed off freebie. And all the academic journals/law reviews I can find
are all hit-and-miss, and the college lit stuff especially so. But I just love culling the internet for all low hanging free reading fruit.:D

When on-line first came out, the WSJ was incredible value on-line vs. physical paper. As an early on-line subscriber, for years, I only paid $69 for the entire year's subscription (vs $1 a day on the newsstand, I think) - they kept that price for "original" subscribers even when new subscribers were paying more. But at some point, they ended that and the price went up to $99 (vs $1.50 at the time on the newsstand). Funny, I ended up saving a lot of money over the years buying on-line, but that wasn't the impetus, it was the early morning access that forced my hand.

I hear ya - I was kicking and screaming when I made the shift. Physical newspapers opened the world up to me as a kid and for half my adult life - but as on-line became popular, physical delivery became later and less reliable - my hand was forced.
Besides which, these days the physical newspapers contain only parts of articles that end with "For the full story go to [website]", so you're almost forced to go to their website anyway. When we went to dinner Friday night a good friend had a copy of our hometown "Daily News"; it was literally no more than eight pages.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Starbucks java and the Chicago Sun Times sports page. Pirates hit Arrieta for ten-and seven hard runs-last season's Cy Young ace hurler had some
mindset problem last nite; however, Maddon:cool:; who reads more Proust than Machiavelli, pulled a Niccolo on Jake by pulling Miggie-ostensibly, of course to rest.
The catcher.:) Joe's done this before but it seemed tinged last nite with Jake (now a 3.10 ERA) and fourth in probable post season rotation behind Lackey.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
One thing the internet has done for those of us who travel, you can buy a newspaper at the news stand that's been downloaded and printed off at a local newspaper printers, and rushed out with the local press. Pre-internet, we would buy a two, sometimes three day old (news?)paper, or whatever time it took to fly the papers out.

Breakfast, for the time being, has been turned on it's head. Until next Easter, I'm working nights, so "breakfast" today will be cottage pie. It's not a pie in the sense of having a pastry crust, instead it's topped with creamed potatoes. It's a great way of using up any vegetables. Cottage pie is also made with ground beef, but you can use lamb, however the dish then becomes known as Shepherd's Pie.

cottage pie.jpg

Last edited:
One thing the internet has done for those of us who travel, you can buy a newspaper at the news stand that's been downloaded and printed off at a local newspaper printers, and rushed out with the local press. Pre-internet, we would buy a two, sometimes three day old (news?)paper, or whatever time it took to fly the papers out.

Remember those days well. I love all the history and passion that getting a physical paper to a newsstand entailed for many years and, as noted, I fought the change at first, but internet delivery is better.

That said, and I'd love to hear from others on this, the physical paper had a "beginning and end" to it, meaning, for a daily (with no later or special editions), what you had in your hands was that paper's version of "today's news." If you read it every day, you knew how to navigate it to find what you wanted and how to not miss news.

On-line, some papers still follow that model and you can get "today's edition." Others are just constantly updated websites which, IMHO, has some real drawbacks. For one, it is hard to know what you've read and haven't read as stories are update throughout the day and, sometimes, a thirty paragraph story will have only a one-paragraph change, but how do you know that unless you, at minimum, skim the entire article again. Also, the format of a physical paper is set; whereas, on-line, they are always tweaking it, so finding what you want and not missing things you would read is harder.

There's a balance an internet paper needs to strike between updating both news and its site and allowing readers to know where things are and what they've read that has yet to be figured out. The energy and effort, today, seems all invested in updating, but at some point, making the sites more reader friendly will need attention.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Auguries, omens, vagaries, and vicissitudes of a rain caused Cubs-Pirates tie:eek: last nite and Starbucks coffee and croissants with the Chicago Sun Times.:)
Can't read about the Bears or Notre Dame, busted flushes. The Lions will devour the Bears and although the Irish will probably defeat Syracuse, the season looks a bust.:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran