Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

ELK

bull-elk2.jpg

MOOSE

bull-moose.jpg

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I don't know what I needed cleared up? I am talking about the species alces alces, known in North America as a moose and in British English as an elk and in Swedish as an älg. I've met plenty of that species IRL (they're everywhere here) so I know what they look like. What I don't know is why Americans took the British word and applied it to a completely different species (one, moreover, you don't find here) and made up a completely new one for alces alces, but there you are. But just to avoid confusion I shall henceforth refer to it by its Latin name, which was incidentally invented by a Swede (Linnaeus) and therefore should have been my primary choice anyway.

ETA: for a quick description on the name issue I quote Wikipedia (not the best of sources but a readily available one):
I apologize if I've offended you in any way,this was not my intention as you can tell by my profile I'm a Canadian and it's fairly common for tourists to come to Canada and not know the difference between a Moose and an Elk and this is what I had presumed thus the photos,again I apologize if I have offended you
Sincerely...Bob Kirschman

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Or, look at it my way...

ELK = Almost Deerlike

Moose = A bear with antlers, that has a short elephant trunk on its face...

disregard this post... I am going on 2 days of no sleep. time to hit the hay. night.

Flicka

One Too Many
I apologize if I've offended you in any way,this was not my intention as you can tell by my profile I'm a Canadian and it's fairly common for tourists to come to Canada and not know the difference between a Moose and an Elk and this is what I had presumed thus the photos,again I apologize if I have offended you
Sincerely...Bob Kirschman

I'm not offended; we've just had this debate a million times and that was why I gave BOTH names in order to make myself understood by both sides of the pond and possibly avoid this whole explanation business. Anyway, älgar are everywhere here - you can even find them roaming the suburbs for apples in the autumn (or fall, if you prefer), but like I said, we don't have the animal you call elk here. Similar, but not the same.

Randomly, I think Caesar made the first recorded description of what he called alces in De Bello Gallico. He claims they have no knees and therefore have to sleep leaning against trees since they can't lie down. The Germans hunt them by partially sawing through the trunk of a tree so that when the alces leans against it it, it topples over and the alces lies helpless until the hunters arrive to kill it. I don't know what he'd been smoking or how much fun the locals had spinning that tale and watching the dumb Roman buy it, but it's a good story!

Koalas aren't bears, they're marsupials. Oh and by the way, kangaroos are delicious. I will have a 'roo steak for dinner in the near future. Something like this
kangaroo_steak.jpg

It's a lovely colour, isn't it HoosierDaddy?

Here in North America red Koalas are indeed bears. Since the pilgrims knew not what else to call them. I think in Australia they are mistakenly called Kangaroos..and then Australians have a kind of Koala they put on the Barbie that tastes like rubber. Red Koala are our only jumping bear here in the USA. Now sadly only in zoos because they couldn't get along with Elk and Moose.
That Roo does look very delicious..indeed!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Here in North America red Koalas are indeed bears. Since the pilgrims knew not what else to call them. I think in Australia they are mistakenly called Kangaroos..and then Australians have a kind of Koala they put on the Barbie that tastes like rubber. Red Koala are our only jumping bear here in the USA. Now sadly only in zoos because they couldn't get along with Elk and Moose.
That Roo does look very delicious..indeed!
You are a very silly man :p A man of many colours
250koala,0.jpg

Koala - not good eating.
vic-RedKangaroo-large.jpg

Kangaroo - Good eating.

Last edited:
OK Lolly..I think I may have it straight now. It seems there really is quite a difference between Australians..Americans...and for sure those nice Swedish people. :D
I'm getting ready to have some scrambled chicken eggs...hog bacon...wheat toast..and coffee.
Do you have chickens down under?..or is it Ostrich eggs for breakfast? What is your bacon made out of? What do you toast? English muffins? I suppose it's tea for breakfast.:coffee:
HD

(color)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails