Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You need the right background music to read a Haiku to:[video=youtube_share;kDXrYMdA8s4]http://youtu.be/kDXrYMdA8s4[/video]
Nice choice. :D

Bacon:
Such inauspicious beginnings–
scissors through plastic
gooey wrapper peeled,
slimy flesh of pink mottled hue
yet
up wafts campfires of youth,
explosions of expectations-
appetite anticipation.
It falls-
cold hitting hot-
sings its transformation,
sprays it’s divinity across your kitchen
stings as it splatters,
dances in the pan.
Out it comes-
one of the few things that fulfills
as much as it promises.
I have to say it; I can feel the smell of it while reading. Good one. :D

Just don't get it
Any of the time
Verse without reason
Rhythm or rhyme.

Even Bacon
Don't make it better
Like losts words
Missing a letter.
I had no idea we had so many poets on this thread. :eusa_clap

dnjan

One Too Many
No bacon with the red beans?

We occasionally have what I call "red beans with toppings".
Start with rice on the bottom of the bowl, then add red beans (cooked with a small amount of hot sauce so they aren't too bland).
Then cover with topping of choice. The selection usually includes:
bacon bits
shredded cheddar cheese
grated parmesan
fresh salsa (made the day before and mellowed overnight)
diced onions
chopped green onions
sour cream
diced kalmata olives (only if we have guests over - the spousal unit does not like olives)
green salsa
various hot sauces

Use what you wish.

Getting back on topic - last night was chili which cooked all day in the crock-pot so it was ready for what turned out to be last night's poor excuse for a Monday Night Football game.

We occasionally have what I call "red beans with toppings".
Start with rice on the bottom of the bowl, then add red beans (cooked with a small amount of hot sauce so they aren't too bland).
Then cover with topping of choice. The selection usually includes:
bacon bits
shredded cheddar cheese
grated parmesan
fresh salsa (made the day before and mellowed overnight)
diced onions
chopped green onions
sour cream
diced kalmata olives (only if we have guests over - the spousal unit does not like olives)
green salsa
various hot sauces

Use what you wish.

Getting back on topic - last night was chili which cooked all day in the crock-pot so it was ready for what turned out to be last night's poor excuse for a Monday Night Football game.
I'll take it with one of everything on the list except bacon. I'll take five helpings of that on it.:p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Pork Terrine. It's a lot of hard work, you might prefer to just buy it at your supermarket's deli counter.
Line a deep long terrine dish with bacon rashers, butting each rasher up to the next. You then pile in alternate layers of forcemeat and pork. The pork should be lean and cut into narrow strips. Pack each layer down tightly, until you have layer upon layer. finish it of with fresh herbs: Parsley, Rosemary, whatever takes your fancy. Once you are happy that no more can be squeezed into the dish, pour over a generous slosh of brandy. You could use sherry, or, if you don't like alcohol in food, mix a pork stock cube with a cup full of boiling water, and pour that over it instead.
Now press the lid firmly on. Cook for an hour in the oven at a moderate 300f/150c or, I think gas mark 4, but check that first.
Allow to cool, then tip it out onto a serving plate. You will find a lot of aspic at the bottom, aspic is just the savoury jelly, pour it over the meat.
Leave to chill overnight in the fridge. Then get stuck in. I love to serve it with hot baby salad potatoes, fresh sliced tomatoes, celery and roquette. Roquette is just a fancy way of spelling rocket, it's a small leaf lettuce.
pt1.jpg
pt2.jpg
pt3.jpg
pt4.jpg
pt5.jpg
pt6.jpg
pt7.jpg

Pork Terrine. It's a lot of hard work, you might prefer to just buy it at your supermarket's deli counter.
Line a deep long terrine dish with bacon rashers, butting each rasher up to the next. You then pile in alternate layers of forcemeat and pork. The pork should be lean and cut into narrow strips. Pack each layer down tightly, until you have layer upon layer. finish it of with fresh herbs: Parsley, Rosemary, whatever takes your fancy. Once you are happy that no more can be squeezed into the dish, pour over a generous slosh of brandy. You could use sherry, or, if you don't like alcohol in food, mix a pork stock cube with a cup full of boiling water, and pour that over it instead.
Now press the lid firmly on. Cook for an hour in the oven at a moderate 300f/150c or, I think gas mark 4, but check that first.
Allow to cool, then tip it out onto a serving plate. You will find a lot of aspic at the bottom, aspic is just the savoury jelly, pour it over the meat.
Leave to chill overnight in the fridge. Then get stuck in. I love to serve it with hot baby salad potatoes, fresh sliced tomatoes, celery and roquette. Roquette is just a fancy way of spelling rocket, it's a small leaf lettuce.

View attachment 5594
I would do that with bacon and save all the pork slicing work. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Using one of those packages, meant for sending out wedding cake slices, mail me a slab. I'll do a critique on it for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart