Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

The King of excuses. :p

:hungry:
I'm waiting for my plate here...

Good news:
I was actually able to get home in time for dinner. :cheer2:
(that means I worked in "warp 3" speed)

Dinner today:
Carrot soup.
Chicken breast with rice (like James, I play "allergic" to rice, and scrape it off my precious meat) :D

I don't play allergic. You wouldn't want to be around me when I eat rice.
[video=youtube_share;VPIP9KXdmO0]http://youtu.be/VPIP9KXdmO0[/video]I think I had enough!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Intrigueing recipe GHT. I may try it. Next time you are stateside, if you're down south try some boudin, although if you get too far from Louisiana it probably won't be made with liver. Souse meat is also widely available down here, and chitlin's aren't too hard to find waaay down south. If you are north of the Mason-Dixon you probably can find scrapple, and of course hot dogs can be had in any corner of the country.
I have never been north of The Mason-Dixon. The American civil war is a fascination of mine, researching it has taken me (with a slightly reluctant wife in tow,) to many battlefields, forts and areas of The States that are often refered to as: 'Fly over country.' Lost count of the number of times that folks have said: "First english accent I've ever heard, other than on the television."

There was a place, the name escapes me, between Memphis and Chattanooga, where we stayed overnight. The motel had a restaurant that served: Hush Puppies. They are deep fried cornmeal dumplings. An acquired taste. We were told that they were made from an original Native American recipe, and that the native tribes used corn extensively in their diet.

RBH

Bartender
I have never been north of The Mason-Dixon. The American civil war is a fascination of mine, researching it has taken me (with a slightly reluctant wife in tow,) to many battlefields, forts and areas of The States that are often refered to as: 'Fly over country.' Lost count of the number of times that folks have said: "First english accent I've ever heard, other than on the television."

There was a place, the name escapes me, between Memphis and Chattanooga, where we stayed overnight. The motel had a restaurant that served: Hush Puppies. They are deep fried cornmeal dumplings. An acquired taste. We were told that they were made from an original Native American recipe, and that the native tribes used corn extensively in their diet.

On our visits to Winchester Felt [Fedora Fest ] we stayed at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store.
Its kinda between Memphis and Chattanooga.. they had some pretty good hush puppies.

That pretty much covers the entire state of Tennessee. Hush puppie are a staple side dish anywhere fish of any kind is served down south, and probably all over the U.S. As far as the Native American origins, well, that's the first I've ever heard that.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Tonight we had home made vegetable soup and cornbread. Perfect for a rainy halloween night.

' Lost count of the number of times that folks have said: "First english accent I've ever heard, other than on the television."

I'll never forget the first time I heard a southern accent. My father and I where driving to Florida and stopped at Mammoth Cave for a tour. I was 7 yrs old and as we were standing at the counter getting tickets..a young boy about 3 or 4 looking through the glass asked his Mom..'Mawmee kin I have a piece of cane-dee'. I was floored and asked Dad..'What kind of language is that'?? He laughed and said Son 'That's just the way they talk in the south'. Wow..I thought that was the strangest thing I ever heard. lol
HD

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That pretty much covers the entire state of Tennessee. Hush puppie are a staple side dish anywhere fish of any kind is served down south, and probably all over the U.S. As far as the Native American origins, well, that's the first I've ever heard that.

Glad someone caught that. :D
Now DH you know as well as I do, that Buffalo or Bison isn't served with fries, it's served with hush puppies.
Of course that's mazemeal and not cornmeal. :p
BTW, he's right. Well if you consider Wikipedia a source.

RBH you are correct, I've never seen fish served down here WITHOUT hush puppies, Mexican, Cajun, or otherwise.
And many of us use hot sauce on the entire meal.

What were the Native Americans using to deep fry stuff in. Butter made from buffalo milk? Deer lard? I'm pretty sure cookin with grease came over with whitey.

What were the Native Americans using to deep fry stuff in. Butter made from buffalo milk? Deer lard? I'm pretty sure cookin with grease came over with whitey.

Funny that..!! Indian hush puppies..!!lol ..but Boy have I had some good ones in the deep south! Especially in the 'low country' of S.C.
Yummy
HD

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've got to agree, even though it gets hot down here, I've never seen corn pop on the cob, or sweat corn oil.
Somewhere frying came over here.
One source says China, and another says Scotland, as many Scots settled in the South.
Since the South fries darn near anything, I'll buy that.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'll never forget the first time I heard a southern accent. My father and I where driving to Florida and stopped at Mammoth Cave for a tour. I was 7 yrs old and as we were standing at the counter getting tickets..a young boy about 3 or 4 looking through the glass asked his Mom..'Mawmee kin I have a piece of cane-dee'. I was floored and asked Dad..'What kind of language is that'?? He laughed and said Son 'That's just the way they talk in the south'. Wow..I thought that was the strangest thing I ever heard. lol
HD
Tell me about it, I remember a waiter in Alabama pronounce the word wine, thus: "Sir, would you like to test the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine?
"Get on with it," I thought, "we've got a life to live." "No, I am sure it's fine, thank you." A lot of people would just hover nearby, just to hear our accent. It did tend to get somewhat tedious.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
This happens across my state.
The Eastern part has a more Southern/Country drawl to the language, while the Western does not.
In the center is Nashville, which has a mixture of both, but a lot of times their drawl can be quite pronounced too.
Maybe it's the Grand Ole Opry that does it. :D
I have cousins in Alabama that speak more Southern than I do, but less Southern than someone in Georgia.
I'm sure it varies in England too, from London to say a farming area.
Yes we can drag our words out, or pronounce them in odd ways.
In Arkansas, I have cousins that say "rite" for Right. :D

Last night it was really expensive burgers, because I had been shoveling water off the sidewalk, so the kids trick-r-treating wouldn't have to walk in the street. Wore myself out, but it was dry for them. ;)

This happens across my state.
The Eastern part has a more Southern/Country drawl to the language, while the Western does not.
In the center is Nashville, which has a mixture of both, but a lot of times their drawl can be quite pronounced too.
Maybe it's the Grand Ole Opry that does it. :D
I have cousins in Alabama that speak more Southern than I do, but less Southern than someone in Georgia.
I'm sure it varies in England too, from London to say a farming area.
Yes we can drag our words out, or pronounce them in odd ways.
In Arkansas, I have cousins that say "rite" for Right. :D

Last night it was really expensive burgers, because I had been shoveling water off the sidewalk, so the kids trick-r-treating wouldn't have to walk in the street. Wore myself out, but it was dry for them. ;)

You people need to learn to speak right. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael