Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

vintageTink

One Too Many
I think they were on Keeping Up Appearances. ;)

Tonight it was burgers, aged cheddar cheese, and fried cauliflower with onions.
Hello, Kate. It's my sister, the one with the rich husband and room for a Mercedes. Lol

Haikuku

Just don't get it
Any of the time
Verse without reason
Rhythm or rhyme.

Even Bacon
Don't make it better
Like losts words
Missing a letter.
The iambic pentameter is off in your first verse, Lord Tennyson. :p

dnjan

One Too Many
Pork Terrine. It's a lot of hard work, you might prefer to just buy it at your supermarket's deli counter.
Line a deep long terrine dish with bacon rashers, butting each rasher up to the next. You then pile in alternate layers of forcemeat and pork. The pork should be lean and cut into narrow strips.
I use porkbelly for some of the meat in the ground mixture.

I'll probably make one this weekend (along with grinding and stuffing another batch of Toulouse sausage - if I'm going to get the grinder out I might as well do more than one thing!)

I was thinking of trying sautéed mushrooms instead of the strips of solid meat. Have heard it is good, but haven't tried it myself yet.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Sketti -n- meatballs tonight. Always a hit with the kiddos.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Let me give you a traditional, working class, absolutely delicious alternative. Instead of meatballs, serve faggots. I do appreciate the connoctation of that word in the US, but as well as being a type of food, a faggot is a burning stick. Which is why Brits refer to cigarettes as fags.
Here's what you need:
4 oz/ pork shoulder, roughly chopped; 4 oz/pig's liver, roughly chopped; 8 oz/belly pork, roughly chopped; 4 oz/bread crumbs; 1 medium onion, finely chopped; 1/2 tsp mace; 1 tsp mixed spice; 2 tbsp chopped parsley; 2 sage leaves, finely chopped; 1 small red chili, deseeded and finely chopped; Salt and Pepper & streaky bacon.

In all the many times that I have been to The States, I have rarely seen offal on the menu, so if you find liver off-putting replace it with belly pork.

Here's what you do:
Mince (grind) all the roughly chopped meats, if you don't have a meat-grinder, then chop in a food processor. Place the minced/ground meat into a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, onion, herbs, spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into balls, about the size of a golf ball. Wrap each ball in streaky bacon. Make sure the bacon overlaps as it will seal as it cooks and hold the faggots together. Place the faggots onto a baking sheet and bake in the hot oven for 50 - 60 minutes.

The traditional way of serving this meal is to present it on the plate with mushy peas and creamed potatoes.
Mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas, you need to leave them to soak, in water, overnight. You cook them by simmering them in boiling water for about a couple of hours, adding a pinch of bicarbonate of soda. The result is a puree of peas with just a hint of their shells in the mixture.

To make creamed potatoes you simply boil or steam your pre-peeled potatoes, Maris-piper is an excellent variety for creaming, into the saucepan add a couple of generous spoons of butter. Using a device for mashing, squash the potatoes to a pulp, once smooth, add a couple of fluid ounces of double cream. Blend well.

All that would be set off by serving it with onion gravy.Now you can either go to all the palaver of making it here's the recipe, or, you can make it with instant gravy granules, the veggie one, adding a finely chopped, precooked, onion. Tastes just as good.
In searching for a photo to show you the finished result, I came across a how to make faggots on YouTube. If it helps, here it is.
[video=youtube;G6l8ro1360I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6l8ro1360I[/video]

Intrigueing recipe GHT. I may try it. Next time you are stateside, if you're down south try some boudin, although if you get too far from Louisiana it probably won't be made with liver. Souse meat is also widely available down here, and chitlin's aren't too hard to find waaay down south. If you are north of the Mason-Dixon you probably can find scrapple, and of course hot dogs can be had in any corner of the country.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rice ain't good for me. I am allergic to it.
The King of excuses. :p

I made shepherd's/cottage pie.
:hungry:
I'm waiting for my plate here...

Good news:
I was actually able to get home in time for dinner. :cheer2:
(that means I worked in "warp 3" speed)

Dinner today:
Carrot soup.
Chicken breast with rice (like James, I play "allergic" to rice, and scrape it off my precious meat) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80