Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the meaning behind your Avatar ?

A Bomber General

New in Town
Sterling Hayden glowering through a clenched cigar while warning of the dangers of Communist infiltration in Dr. Strangelove-what could be more golden era than that? Fear, destruction, tobacco, and style-its a microcosm of the 1950s.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My current avatar is, to me, the epitome of the classic GE man - suit, hat, and attitude. If I had my way, I would be dressed like him every day.

That is a lovely avatar!

My current one (in case it should change in the future) is a photograph of my typewriter. I was in my room one evening, bored out of my mind. I spun around in my chair and saw the light on my desk and the shadows...it looked pretty, so I snapped a B&W shot of it. That was the result. I picked it as my avatar because I love writing and typing and history, and I felt it represented me well.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I were looking to book a return visit to a heritage railway. When we checked out train times on their website, we found that we were stars. Well, Hercules the train was the actual star, but we did get a mention in dispatches.

gear-guy

Practically Family
good pic Atomic, but I especially like the geese on the wall in the background. I grew up with the exact same birds on my parents wall. After they were gone it was a family fight to see who would end up them. My niece won out, but your avatar sure did bring back good memories.

The zoot suit wearing big bad wolf from the old Tex Avery cartoons. No deep meaning, just having fun.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
That is a lovely avatar!

My current one (in case it should change in the future) is a photograph of my typewriter. I was in my room one evening, bored out of my mind. I spun around in my chair and saw the light on my desk and the shadows...it looked pretty, so I snapped a B&W shot of it. That was the result. I picked it as my avatar because I love writing and typing and history, and I felt it represented me well.

You have a highly enviable desk, sir. I hope someday when I own a house big enough for me to have a study, that my desk looks much like it!

I thought i had replied to this thread, but I realize after a review that I haven't!

My avatar is the incomparable Jeremy Brett in the role he is most known for as Sherlock Holmes from the Granada series of the early 90's. I have been a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes as far back as I remember, and without a doubt, Brett's performance has in my opinion never been matched on any screen large or small. I think this excellent series was the origin of my love of Victorian style.

Another connection to this image for me is that as a law enforcement officer, I see Holmes's incisive mind as an ideal to aspire to :) There have been a few times at work where I've managed to pull off a bit of Holmesian deduction, which is a real thrill for me.

I SO want a frock coat like the one Brett wears through most of the series! I would rock that thing DAILY.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That is a lovely avatar!

If you're telling me it was a spur of the moment & you just simply took the snapshot without rearranging or
composing than you have a keen sense of things around you & made the most of it. Thanks for sharing a
very lovely photograph. ( Don't change it )

sal

One of the Regulars
Mine is from one of my favorite cartoon characters and reflects my interest in the crime novels I used to read as a kid as well as the interest of the crime movies of the forties

Mine is from one of my favorite cartoon characters and reflects my interest in the crime novels I used to read as a kid as well as the interest of the crime movies of the forties
"Yeah, that's me, Tracer Bullet. I've got eight slugs in me; one's lead, and the rest are Bourbon. The drink packs a wallop, and I pack a revolver. I'm a private eye."

Excellent choice! Tracer Bullet was my favorite of Calvin's recurring characters.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If you're telling me it was a spur of the moment & you just simply took the snapshot without rearranging or
composing than you have a keen sense of things around you & made the most of it. Thanks for sharing a
very lovely photograph. ( Don't change it )

I was at my desk. At night. You can see the time on my watch. 10:06pm. Bored stupid. I was just spinning around, and I thought of how nice it looked. So I took out my camera and snapped it. That's all it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner