Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the meaning behind your Avatar ?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Mine is one of the characters from the WW2 cartoon 'Two Types' by Jon.
2types1.jpg

I rather like the scruffy mix of military and civilian clothes that they wear (a look that was very popular among officers in the 8th Army in North Africa & Italy).

http://www.cartoons.ac.uk/artists/william-john-philpinjones/biography

F. J.

One of the Regulars
It's Jimmy Stewart!

My current avatar is, to me, the epitome of the classic GE man - suit, hat, and attitude. If I had my way, I would be dressed like him every day.

I don't yet have an avatar, and perhaps never will, but yours is one of my favourites on the Lounge.
You probably already know where it came from, so my elaboration is going to be purely for the benefit of others. The photograph is of Mr. James Stewart and is a still from 1946's It's A Wonderful Life. In particular, the image is from right before the scene where George asks Violet Bick on a date to less than satisfactory results. My favourite actor, and one of my favourite films.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's a Wonderful Life

I agree...

One of my favorite actors in one of my favorite
"feel-good-movies " !

2s682tw.jpg

The image is not so sharp since I snapped it with my camera
from the TV screen...

but it bears repeating.

I prefer the original B & W version !

F. J.

One of the Regulars
*Leave it B&W as God intended!*

I prefer the original B & W version !

As do I. Colourising films such as this is criminal! They are so much more pleasurable to watch in their original monochromatic glory than they are when superimposed with whatever colours some editor thought looked good enough. Light and shadows were used to their utmost advantage at the time, and adding colour simply detracts from the intended look.

A prime example of the care taken in black and white motion photography is television's I Love Lucy. The walls and the furniture used on the programme were all various shades of carefully selected grey so that when filmed, everything was the desired tone on the grey-scale. Colourising pictures filmed this way is a downright insult to the original makers. I could go on, but I think I have digressed enough.

(By the way, the frame used for scottyrocks's avatar is slighty later than the image 2jakes supplied, as the lady on the crosswalk behind him is past his elbow. I know, I'm picking nits.)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As do I. Colourising films such as this is criminal! They are so much more pleasurable to watch in their original monochromatic glory than they are when superimposed with whatever colours some editor thought looked good enough. Light and shadows were used to their utmost advantage at the time, and adding colour simply detracts from the intended look.

A prime example of the care taken in black and white motion photography is television's I Love Lucy. The walls and the furniture used on the programme were all various shades of carefully selected grey so that when filmed, everything was the desired tone on the grey-scale. Colourising pictures filmed this way is a downright insult to the original makers. I could go on, but I think I have digressed enough.

(By the way, the frame used for scottyrocks's avatar is slighty later than the image 2jakes supplied, as the lady on the crosswalk behind him is past his elbow. I know, I'm picking nits.)

Hey...F. J.

About the "nits"....I always enjoy & learn something new.
" Keep 'em Flying " !

( whoops...that remark should go in the " Terms that have Disappeared " thread !

BTW...just curious & was wondering why you don't use an avatar ! I respect your
right to not have one.....just wondering out loud ,being nosy & nit-picking...:eusa_doh: sorry !

I like them...like the one above me of the " Black Dahlia "....that is
simply gorgeous ...Merry Christmas & Happy New Year !

Last edited:

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Why no Avatar . . .

Hey...F. J.

About the "nits"....I always enjoy & learn something new.
" Keep 'em Flying " !

( whoops...that remark should go in the " Terms that have Disappeared " thread !

BTW...just curious & was wondering why you don't use an avatar ! I respect your
right to not have one.....just wondering out loud ,being nosy & nit-picking...:eusa_doh: sorry !

I like them...like the one above me of the " Black Dahlia "....that is
simply gorgeous ...Merry Christmas & Happy New Year !

As to the avatar, I might get one and I might not. I'm not opposed to it, really. I just haven't found one yet I like. This comment will be curious indeed if I do get one.

By the way, your comment reminds me of a November 25, 1941, song by Gene Krupa and his Orchestra, "Dedicated to U. S. Army Air Corps", with Vocal Chorus by Johnny Desmond and Service Orders by Col. John F. Daye, U. S. A.
[video=youtube;hI3ELWfjnXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI3ELWfjnXE[/video]
(The video is just one I happened to find on YouTube to illustrate the song. It's not mine.)

Oh, I almost forgot: A Merry Christmas and and Happy New Year to you!!

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't yet have an avatar, and perhaps never will, but yours is one of my favourites on the Lounge.
You probably already know where it came from, so my elaboration is going to be purely for the benefit of others. The photograph is of Mr. James Stewart and is a still from 1946's It's A Wonderful Life. In particular, the image is from right before the scene where George asks Violet Bick on a date to less than satisfactory results. My favourite actor, and one of my favourite films.

I hadn't realized that my not mentioning any details would result in any questioning of my knowledge of who this man was. Yes, I do indeed know where the picture is from. I have seen this movie, and almost every movie Mr. Stewart has been in, many times.

His Tonight Show appearance when he read his poem about his dog, Beau, was one of my favorite television moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGnCIdHQH0

I hadn't realized that my not mentioning any details would result in any questioning of my knowledge of who this man was. Yes, I do indeed know where the picture is from. I have seen this movie, and almost every movie Mr. Stewart has been in, many times.

His Tonight Show appearance when he read his poem about his dog, Beau, was one of my favorite television moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGnCIdHQH0

Even Carson was tearing up for that one.

fashion frank

One Too Many
If You Like That Check This Out !

That's really nice.

Reminds me of times when the radio would broadcast such nice pleasant sounds....programming
live bands & such.

Gosh I miss this so much !

http://www.the1920snetwork.com/

I listen to this station all the time and they chime on the half hour and on the top of the hour ,a female voice comes on and states " the time is (whatever the hour is ) Eastern just like they used to do its awesome !
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Apologies

I hadn't realized that my not mentioning any details would result in any questioning of my knowledge of who this man was.

Mr. scottyrocks,

I did not mean to imply that you didn't know. I perhaps worded it clumsily, and I apologise. To reword my earlier statement, I figured that you knew where your own avatar came from, and I was simply commenting that it was one of my favourites on the Lounge and elaborating on its origin for the benefit of others. I am truly sorry if you thought I was insulting your intelligence, as that was not at all my intent.

Sincerely,

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
http://www.the1920snetwork.com/

I listen to this station all the time and they chime on the half hour and on the top of the hour ,a female voice comes on and states " the time is (whatever the hour is ) Eastern just like they used to do its awesome !
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Thanks...Really Nice !

I clicked on the link you provided & I'm listening right now .
It's coming via my iTunes under " Internet Songs"... I can pause & continue..
but not sure if I close it , I will lose it !

But jotted down the link just in case...

Thanks Again !

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Mr. scottyrocks,

I did not mean to imply that you didn't know. I perhaps worded it clumsily, and I apologise. To reword my earlier statement, I figured that you knew where your own avatar came from, and I was simply commenting that it was one of my favourites on the Lounge and elaborating on its origin for the benefit of others. I am truly sorry if you thought I was insulting your intelligence, as that was not at all my intent.

Sincerely,

Actually, I had not thought that at all. My wording was vague, and could lead one to believe that I just just chosen some random picture because I liked it. No offense taken at all.

epr25

Practically Family
My avatar is the wedding photo of my maternal grandparents. I didn't know them well at all unfortunately but I have always thought that this was a great photo.

JoeSpy

New in Town
I was lurking here a bit and decided to add my two cents' worth. Since I don't have a decent "selfie" to post as an avatar, I used a great pic of one of the golden era's greatest and, IMHO, best looking actors. A real man's man on screen...and off from what I can gather.

So I recently changed my avatar. In case anyone is curious, it is a mineral specimen known as the "Alma Queen". It resides at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, and from the museum's website:

The superb 10-cm rhodochrosite crystal on matrix pictured here, known as “The Alma Queen,” is among the most famous specimens in all of mineralogy. It is the best specimen recovered from a pocket found in 1965 by John Soules and Warren Good. The exceptionally large, rich red-colored crystals perched on a crystallized matrix of quartz and tetrahedrite combine to create a level of sculptural composition and aesthetic beauty that make this one of the world’s truly great mineral specimens. Since its discovery, it has attained legendary status as the “Mona Lisa” of the mineral world – it is widely regarded as the finest example of rhodochrosite known – and among knowledgeable collectors and connoisseurs, it is considered to be the finest mineral specimen of any kind ever found.

I occassionally go to the museum just to look at it. It is even more magnificent in person.

robrinay

One Too Many
It's a picture of me, taken by my wife on our honeymoon in Portmeirion, which was the set for the iconic 60's tv drama 'The Prisoner' - no metaphor intended. It's a place that's well worth a visit if you like zany architecture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk