Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Word on Ladies' Hats?

Etienne

A-List Customer
I have a pretty good collection of 40's hats which I really love, but I think I need some expert advice about which ones are okay to wear in the warmer months. I dress pretty much in suits or very tailored, fitted dresses (alas, never in anything sleeveless) so I need to know which hats can be worn in spring/summer with them. For example, the wool felt ones--can they be worn year 'round? Obviously, straw is fine for summer, but I have a lot of the wool ones. Any thoughts?

magneto

Practically Family
Re: felt in warm weather.

Hi Etienne,

Just my experience, I can't wear felt over 75~ degrees; felt is so dense and insulating usually it seems to make me feel hotter... I think a hat lining, though, seems to keep you cooler (paradoxically!)

Maybe it's just my luck of the draw--virtually all the (wool and fur) felt women's hats I have are unlined (unilke men's hats) plus w/wool in particular, if you'll be out in the sun I'd be worried about fading...

Thinking of the old "summer pictures" I can remember, women seem to be in lightweight/straw hats or bareheaded.

I have several straw hats, the nice thing is that they seem to be still fairly cheap (and if you have a plain modern one, easy to decorate for a vintage look).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24