Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Wrong with This Picture?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
th_McQueenMoviePhoto.jpg

On the thread about the "Steve McQueen Great Escape Jacket" some posters mentioned that McQueen's outfit in this film was inaccurate because of the blue sweatshirt and "stovepipe" trousers. I'm not an expert on WWII uniforms, so I don't know, but why is McQueen's outfit inaccurate?

What are "stovepipe" trousers? Are they not authentic to the time period?
Would McQueen's character be more correctly attired in an Army fliers uniform?
What kind of boots is he wearing? Are they accurate?

After I read the comments in the other thread, I went back and watched "The Great Escape" and in the bonus section, there was an interview with James Coburn and he commented on how inaacurate McQueen's outfit was, but he didn't elaborate.

If the outfit is inaccurate, why are people interested in copying it?

MDFrench

A-List Customer
I would expect people are interested in copying it much like people who copy Indiana Jones' outfit or Darth Vader's or any other movie or comic character. Despite its inaccuracies to history, McQueen's character in The Great Escape has become iconic and people want to emulate that.

Rocketeer anyone? Not exactly "accurate" in many respects, but highly replicated all the same.

Mike

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
"Stovepipe" trousers have very narrow legs,very trim in appearance. This is in keeping with the style that was popular in the 60s. Trousers of the WWII era would likely have been rather full in the leg and seat with a high waist. People want to copy this look because,well...McQueen is the king of cool! ;)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
O.K.- Now I see. Its a little more obvious in the movie because you see him standing next to other characters in costume.

What kind of boots is McQueen wearing?
Are they regular "G.I." boots, or not?

Salv

One Too Many
Flitcraft said:
What kind of boots is McQueen wearing?
Are they regular "G.I." boots, or not?

I think someone on the other thread described them as "boondockers" which I believe were US Marine Corps issue boots, so McQueens character probably shouldn't have been wearing them.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
O.K.-
I always thought maybe McQueen's character was supposed to have scrounged whatever he was wearing as his uniform wore out,but more likley
McQueen picked an outfit that looked cool, but wasn't really historically accurate. Meanwhile, everyone else was stuck with whatever the costume department gave them.

That's why James Coburn and James Garner said McQueen was so difficult to work with.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Flitcraft,

I think Sefton and Salve pretty much nailed it down. I responded on the other thread about the boots...they do appear to be Marine Corps boondockers. As I said in the other thread, the Army did have a very similar "roughout" ankle boot also, but the toes were a bit more rounded on them and they were replaced in army service pretty quickly by the buckle boots, which were the same thing but with a buckle fastened upper section. The Marine Corps issued the classic boondockers through the 1950s, as well as a high top "combat boot" model that was also rough side out. My Dad was issued both in boot camp in the 50s. Steve McQueen was a Marine Corps vet of the late forties, early fifties so he would have been quite familiar with boondockers. Although I don't know for sure, I speculate that McQueen assembled his character's uniform with an eye for "coolness" that would make him stand out from all the other stars in the movie. The pegged or drainpipe khakis were more early 60s style than 40s, and looked very hip with the boondockers, A2 jacket, and casual sweatshirt(a la Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire) and this outfit brands him as a maverick and unique before he ever opens his mouth. Steve McQueen certainly knew how to stand out from the crowd and how to be very, very cool:cool2:
In case anybody missed it, here's some repro boondockers. I love mine.
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/boondocker.JPG
This is the WWII Impressions website
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Clyde R.:
Thanks for responding!
One benefit of this thread was that I actually sat down and watched "The Great Escape" (hadn't seen it in years) and then watched the bonus footage on the DVD.
James Coburn and James Garner essentially said the same thing you did- McQueen picked out his own costume with an eye to looking cool, while everyone else settled for what they were issued by the costume department.
And you're right, McQueen wanted to be seen as the only "hero" in the film even though it was obviously an ensemble effort.
P.S.-
Love the boondockers- may even get a pair. Thanks for the link!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo