Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Today my favorite movie is

El Dorado ... I dont know how many times I watched this movie as a kid. I know I wore the VHS tape out eventually. Not thier best work but a lot of good western fun... and cheers to whoever wrote Lonesome Dove!!

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Love, love LOVE Singing in the Rain. I could easily watch that movie over and over and never get sick of it. Love the music, love the actors, love the dancing! *sigh*

Also in my top favourites are The Wizard of Oz (Dressed as Dorothy for Halloween last year); The Lord of the Rings Trilogy; Star Wars (The originals!! though I have a soft spot for Ep 3); Finding Nemo; The Easter Parade; Any of the Disney Princess movies :D I'm a kid at heart!

Of course my most recent favourite is Enchanted! I saw it 3 times at the cinema (equaling RotK and RotS) and all my friends agree that I am so like Giselle it's uncanny!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
ShooShooBaby said:
two i could name with a fair amount of certainty are Harold and Maude, and The Wizard of Oz. i can't make it through WoO without bawling! lol

I love both of those too, particularly the scene in Harold and Maude when he's telling her about seeing his mother's reaction when she thought he was dead. And I always tear up, if not downright cry, when the Wizard tells the Tin Man "And remember, my sentimental friend ..... that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others."

Tinker

New in Town
RAF Man said:
For me it's got to be "Brief Encounter". It's the very epitomy of 1940's England, with Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson, directed by David Lean. Film based on a play by Noel Coward called Still Life.
David Lean breaks out the stiff upper lips for his restrained, yet emotionally charged, examination of forbidden passions in 1940s England. In a cafe at a railway station, housewife Laura Jesson meets doctor Alec Harvey. Although they are already married, they gradually fall in love with each other. They continue to meet every Thursday at the small cafe, although they know that their love is impossible.

Those familar with Brief Encounter, and it is well worth seeing, may be interested in a parody available on YouTube. A google search for

"brief encounter" parody

will provide the necessary link.

Oh my, look at the time. I've been chattering away nine to the dozen. I'll miss my train.

tinker.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Your Favorite Actor(-ess) and Favorite Film?

Almost impossible,is`nt it?

My favorite actor is Richard Burton.I love his voice,his accent,his style and his demeanor.His acting is a craft(even in dog like "The Medsa Touch" or "Exorcist II").

As to a favorite film...*scratching head* For me it has been "Who`s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"(1960s)with Burton and Taylor.A psychological and emotional roller coaster of a film.

HMH

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
james-stewart1.jpg

The best dressed, most likable, most believable 6'3", 140-lb, former hardware store clerk and decorated B-17 pilot in the movie business.

When trouble comes to America, and I get a little down about my country, I remember that it is also Jimmy Stewart's country.

Nowhere else could have made him. To me he outshines John Wayne as a male role model and an icon of what we are really all about.

My favorite movie? That's hard. The list includes a lot of Stewart vehicles - You Can't Take It With You, Vertigo for two. There's also Duck Soup, American Graffiti, M, The Americanization of Emily, Close Encounters...let me get back to you, I have to think...

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Excellent choice,Fletch! I don`t think there`s been another actor that quite as versatile as JS. How does he manage to convey so many different qualities(many simultaneously)?? He`s old school manly and macho but also sensetive and warm;charming and vulnerable but at the same time strong and determined.

Stewart just "worked" no matter the genre or character.Westerns,war films,comedies.

Sorry,but I can`t agree with you about outshining The Duke,however. ;)
Wayne definately was less versatile than Stewart(IMHO).Westerns,War and Detective films....he owned them!

HMH

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
My favorite film is The Thin Man (1934) which recently replaced El Dorado (1967).

Favorite actor is Spencer Tracy--James Stewart is a close second.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I think I can do this. By quite a long way my favourite actor has always been Jack Lemmon.

Now that was a versatile actor. From the broad comedy of The Odd Couple or Some Like it Hot to the pathos of Glengarry Glen Ross or Days of Wine and Roses his range was staggering.

Favourite film? Some Like it Hot or The Godfather. For very different reasons.

SayCici

Practically Family
My favorite actress is forever Ingrid Bergman. One of my top favorite films of hers is The Visit (1964). Anthony Quinn is in it as well so you really can't go wrong.

ingrid_bergman_multilingual.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yes, very difficult. After all these years, my favorite actor is still Errol Flynn. He was limited in his range, true, and his personal life was not one to be emulated. None-the-less, when at his best, Flynn's exuberance, good looks, and infectious smile typified what the world envisioned when it thought of Hollywood. My favorite Flynn movie would have to be a tie between The Charge of the Light Brigade (duty, sacrifice, and stiff upper-lipness to the max) and The Adventures of Don Juan (a more world-weary Flynn satirizing, in essence, his own increasingly empty life). Favorite actress? I have to think about that one, which means that I likely don't have just one...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
No one was better than standing on top of things and laughing than Errol Flynn. Well, except for maybe Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

"If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something." —Jack Handey

EDIT: OK, that's my new sig.
EDIT: Argh, except it's too long.

Levallois

Practically Family
Favorite actor and actress are William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles in the Thin Man movies (Nathan called it right). They always make me smile no matter what type of day I am having. I wish I had as much style as William Powell and I have a crush on Myrna Loy. Next on the actor list would by Cary Grant - also pure style who isn't afraid to be a goof - and for next favorite actress, Lauren Bacall in anything.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred