Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
It would really break my heart to pick just one, so I'll post my favorite in three different categories.

Silent: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans- The most breath-takingly beautiful movie I've ever had the fortune to see. Every shot is done as if in a dream, there's almost a magical quality to the entire film. The portrayals are so painfully,gorgeously real, and create such a deep bond between the actors and the viewer, as if you had known them for an eternity. Their sorrows, fears, joys, worries...they're all yours. A treasure, to say the least, one that will simultaneously break your heart, only to heal it, and lift your very soul.

Drama/Epic: Gone With The Wind. Really, what can I say that hasn't been said? The movie had all the makings of a masterpiece even before production, with such a book as the premise, and it fulfilled every one of them, even if it didn't end up 110% accurate to the story. Lush cinematography, grand, sweeping, soaring music, brilliant portrayals; they make for a veritable feast for the senses.

Musical: My Fair Lady. This movie is simply perfection, in every sense. For me, it's basically the Gone With The Wind of musicals, except for me, Rex's portrayal of Higgins is miles better than ANY other performance ever captured on film. He didn't simply play the character, he WAS him.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Name your all time favourite iconic golden oldie movie

I am really just starting to get into watching golden oldie movies (have never been a telly girl)...So ladies, what are your all time favorites and why????;)
Just watched a roman holiday with Audrey in it and loved it.

Laraquan

Familiar Face
Gosh, where to begin. I guess I only have a favourite three: Gold Digger (I think that's what it was called, or something semantically similar), My Favourite Brunette and The Thin Man.

Sorry I disobeyed the rules but I just couldn't pick one.

Emblaze

Familiar Face
I don't think I can pick one favourite either! I'll do one for each decade that I'm interested in.

1930s - Stage Door
1940s - Easter Parade
1950s - Calamity Jane

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1950s

When I saw Bell Book and Candle on the big screen as a teenager I decided that was how I wanted to dress, like Gillian. And I did.
Copy_of_kimcat.jpg

Wardrobe by Jean Louis.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
When I saw Bell Book and Candle on the big screen as a teenager I decided that was how I wanted to dress, like Gillian. And I did.
Copy_of_kimcat.jpg

Wardrobe by Jean Louis.
I love this movie. It was actually the movie that first "introduced" me to Jimmy Stewart, whereas most people normally discover him through movies like "It's A Wonderful Life", or "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington". Kim Novak did a wonderful job too here, and I must make special note for Jack Lemmon, who was absolutely delightful and charming in this movie. A very good, but seemingly unfortunately under-rated, movie. :) :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
There are so many movies, I guess my all-time favorite classic film is the one that came out the year I was born: Casablanca. It has everything -- a great love story, a great theme, plus Bogart, Bergman, Rains, Henreid, Greenstreet, Lorre, Wilson, Veidt.

I also loved Bell, Book & Candle. Novak was so lovely looking in that film, I think even more so than in Vertigo.

James Dean in East of Eden and also Rebel Without a Cause, the teen anthem of my generation.

Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's

Doris Day in Calamity Jane.

Gary Cooper in The Plainsman, West of the Peco, High Noon.

Alec Guiness in Bridge on the River Kwai, Dr. Zhivago, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, anything!

I better stop. I should have stopped after the first paragraph...

karol

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Emblaze said:
I don't think I can pick one favourite either! I'll do one for each decade that I'm interested in.

1930s - Stage Door
1940s - Easter Parade
1950s - Calamity Jane

Chalk one more up on the Easter Parade fan list:D I got it for christmas and watched it everyday for a week straight!lol
Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face is also a great film
Mrs. Arris Goes To Paris, is also great, but I don't know what era it's from.

Elaina

One Too Many
When I was younger it was "Wizard of Oz." Why? What's not to love?

I've always hated GWTW until recently. (Like last year when I grew up.) Now I find that not only can I identify with Scarlett because of what she went through (tough times) I can see how strength is used, and see I'm not on the wrong path at all.

Okay, I want to be shallow. That's going to dive right into my psyche.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, if it's Iconic Films we're talking about, i'd have to go with "42nd Street." Great script, great songs, great performances, and just a total distillation of everything that made Warner Bros. Depression-era films wonderful.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Depends how far we are going back here...

...if it's a real golden oldie probably "Gunga Din" would be my favourite.

If we're talking pre 70s then "The Battle of Britain" by a nose.

.... and how could I forget Lawrence of Arabia!

buelligan

One of the Regulars
1. The Philadelphia story
2. Charade
3. Desk set
4. Harvey
5. I was a male war bride
6. The Bishop's wife

Just a few off the top of my head:)

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
For me it's got to be "Brief Encounter". It's the very epitomy of 1940's England, with Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson, directed by David Lean. Film based on a play by Noel Coward called Still Life.
David Lean breaks out the stiff upper lips for his restrained, yet emotionally charged, examination of forbidden passions in 1940s England. In a cafe at a railway station, housewife Laura Jesson meets doctor Alec Harvey. Although they are already married, they gradually fall in love with each other. They continue to meet every Thursday at the small cafe, although they know that their love is impossible.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
There is just no way I could only pick one favorite movie.

I'm a big James Stewart fan so I like:
It's a Wonderful Life
Winchester 73
Rear Window
The Man From Laramie
The Flight of The Phoenix

Others I like:
Stagecoach
Casablanca
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Wizard of Oz
Sgt. York
Jezebel
Meet Me In St. Louis
State Fair (I'm an Iowa boy!)

Sorry about the list but I could probably go on and on. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
There's no way I could pick one movie, either.

It (1927)
Show People (1928)
The Broadway Melody (1929)
Way Out West (1930)
Just Imagine (1930)
The Matrimonial Bed (1930)
God's Gift To Women (1931)
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)
Red Headed Woman (1932)
Three On A Match (1932)
Gold Diggers Of 1933 (1933)
Footlight Parade (1933)
Wonder Bar (1934)
Journal Of A Crime (1934)

And the sad part is -- I could have kept going, but I narrowed it down to my favourite eras; late silents/early talkies/pre-Code. I fully admit to LOVING shallow, silly comedies and they tend to be my most favourite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred