Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
My favorite movie of the moment is La Jet?©e (1962): http://imdb.com/title/tt0056119/

The plot: "Earth lies in ruins after a nuclear war. The few surviving humans begin researching time travel, hoping to send someone back to the pre-war world for food, supplies and maybe a solution to their dire position. One man is haunted by a vague childhood memory that will prove fateful."

Good choice. Love that short.
Twelve Monkeys was based on that short :D

LD

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Wings of Desire

Lady Day
Drama
Tie between 'Wings of Desire' and 'Shawshank Redemption'

"Wings of Desire" great choice...

Damiel: When the child was a child, it was the time of these questions. Why am I me, and why not you? Why am I here, and why not there? When did time begin, and where does space end? Isn't life under the sun just a dream? Isn't what I see, hear, and smell just the mirage of a world before the world? Does evil actually exist, and are there people who are really evil? How can it be that I, who am I, wasn't before I was, and that sometime I, the one I am, no longer will be the one I am?

Grace

Vendor
Ooo! Shawshank Redemption-another of my favorites! After I saw that movie, I fell in love with Tim Robbins. One of my all time favorite actors.

I also like William H. Macy-he was perfect in Fargo! (anyone else talk with that accent after watching that movie?)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WEEGEE said:
Lady Day

"Wings of Desire" great choice...

Damiel: When the child was a child, it was the time of these questions. Why am I me, and why not you? Why am I here, and why not there? When did time begin, and where does space end? Isn't life under the sun just a dream? Isn't what I see, hear, and smell just the mirage of a world before the world? Does evil actually exist, and are there people who are really evil? How can it be that I, who am I, wasn't before I was, and that sometime I, the one I am, no longer will be the one I am?

Thanks.
I can contemplate that film for hours. Its a shame what they did to it in that sad, sad remake.

LD

Hondo

One Too Many
AHDN

I hope this doesn't sound weird because I recently got into or enjoy vintage era films, film noir, Fay Wray, Veronica Lake, Bogart but mainly being a WWII semi buff, huge fan of Gregory Peck and many other films. I just love older films, this does not put any film or actor down, It’s just too tough to pick one.
I must say out of being sentimental that I have to pick the Beatles first film,
“A Hard Days Night” Its not just because it had good tunes, (this is the last time you ever see John Lennon with 8 songs as lead singer on an album, LP) it’s like a work of art, the train station with screaming fans, example on tours the band did in the early years, and this film could have been shown filmed in color but they decided to make it in black & white, you see life in early1960’s.
You also have to remember that this film or the Beatles (before their drug years) were innocent young gentlemen, kids that came to the U.S. when America lost its young President (JFK) and American youth needed cheering up, up beat. With the Beatles came so much, a change in hair styles, clothes, music. It was an awesome period that opened the doors to the 60’s and beyond. And it’s captured on B/W film; You not only hear good music but class clown acts the Beatles were made appeared, it wasn’t really how the Beatles acted in real life, after all it’s a music comedy of early touring, pure enjoyment. I still remember seeing this at the local theater filled with kids screaming at a movie! I’ll never forget it. If you ever saw this film, watch Patty Boyd and the only line she ever had “Prisoners?” Excuse me if I sound strange, I’m not a writer only a film fan, and I grew up, came to age after this film, I love this fim, it’s a work of art, You had to be there to understand and She loves you Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! :eusa_clap

Mark G

A-List Customer
One of the films that come to mind when I think of favorites is "Local Hero" with Peter Riegert and Burt Lancaster. It has a very wry humor and unsentimental sweetness. I think I've seen it about 100 times.

Mojito

One Too Many
Putting these together in roughly chronological order, I was rather disconcerted to see to see so many were period dramas! Even Pandora's Box has those Jack the Ripper references. And those that were contemporary are so old they now almost count as period dramas :rolleyes: There's also a sneaking chickflick element going on here...

Thank goodness I also like the recent version of The Mummy as a good old rollicking bit of nonsense.

Pandora's Box
Prix de beaut?©
A Tale of Two Cities (Ronald Coleman version)
High Society
A Night to Remember
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Out of Africa
The Name of the Rose
Ed Wood
Shakespeare in Love
The Corpse Bride

katiemakeup

Practically Family
My choice for the movie that made the biggest impact on me and set me off on my love affair of the times, would be 'Top Hat' with Fred & Ginger! The ostrich feather dress dancing scene, especially.

Even at such a young age being exposed to black & white movies at home is one thing, but it was a thrill of a lifetime to go to the old Palace Theatre- guilded, red velvet, organist etc. and see classic movies... but when I saw 'Top Hat' on the big screen~ forget it! This is the life for me:D

undertaker

Practically Family
Ooops!!

katiemakeup said:
My choice for the movie that made the biggest impact on me and set me off on my love affair of the times, would be 'Top Hat' with Fred & Ginger!

Almost forgot this one:eek: .

"Heaven, I'm in Heaven, and my heart is that I can hardly speak ...and I seem to find the happiness I seek.... When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek...."

You gotta love that!

Regards,
J.S.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Yes, we all favourite films for different moods. Mine include:
Raiders (obviously!),
Star Wars (had to say it!),
Jaws (I can watch Jaws again and again)
The Godfather,
A Better Tomorrow (The best 'heroic bloodshed' film ever)

And one that isn't often mentioned:
A Matter of Life and Death. (That film is just wonderful).

Novella

Practically Family
Picking a favorite movie to me is like picking a favorite child - you just don't do it (nevermind that I don't have any kids). If you were to ask favorite movie per decade, maybe I could do it. Maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari