Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Each of the many times this question comes up here, it's easy for me to answer.

Casablanca is the best film ever made and my #1 favorite movie of all time.
There are plenty of others that I love and can watch (and have watched) over and over. They all fit into "best of genre" or "for the right mood" categories. Or, many should be seen because they are a showcase of a particular style or era (How to Marry a Millionaire - see it for the Technicolor if nothing else)
The Philadelphia Story, Gone With the Wind, Only Angels Have Wings, My Favorite Wife, It Happened One Night, All That Heaven Allows, North by Northwest, Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Key Largo, Guys & Dolls... or for that matter, True Grit, Out of Africa, The Dead, Remains of the Day, Room With a View, The English Patient...

But the #1, all time fave is always a no brainer.

Casablanca, hands down.

It has everything. Atmosphere, drama, costumes, action, props you want to recreate, music, sex, villains, brilliant editing, beautiful photography, quotable lines, a helluva story - Bogart!

Feraud

Bartender
I judge favorite of all time as something I can watch over and over and not get bored.
The short list is..
Vertigo
Chinatown
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Memento
Out of the Past
The Man Who Would Be King
The Third Man
How can anyone pick just one?? :eek: [huh]

Genre or gangren?

miss1934 said:
ooo good point, genre.

Genre, I wanted to use this word in my reply, but could not think of HOW to spell it at all. Jon-ray, jon-rah, chon rah.....

Anyway, one picture that I love is:

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence"

Which is a great drama. Lee Marvin is nothing short of Reptilian in it.

Haversack

One Too Many
My answer is the same as it was in the "When Push Comes To Shove" thread:

Number One Favourite:
_The Man Who Would Be King_

Runners Up:
_Kind Hearts and Coronets_
_The Palm Beach Story_
_Sullivan's Travels_
_The Prisoner of Zenda_

Haversack.
"No. I don't normally see things in just Black and White."

undertaker

Practically Family
What??

I can't believe my eyes!! Someone mentioned Christmas movies and did not
mention It's A Wonderful Life. It has to be the very best Christmas movie ever. I watch it several times trough out the year. The second would be the Miricale on 34th St with Maureen O'Hara. I do love her movies:D . As for one favorite movie gosh I would hate to have to narrow it down.:) There are just so many, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, The Shop Around the Corner, Great Guy, The Quiet Man, Lady Killer .....Hmmmm, Too many, just too many.

Regards,
J.S.

The real Henry

Practically Family
My favorite movies are without a doupt the Indiana Jones films. With Indy they created a great character that stands for every of those 30s-40s adventurers in the movies of that time and the real persons! Those made me interested in the golden era and( what's even more important to me) in real archaeology. I don't want to sound strange, but that trilogy kind of changed my life.

Regards,
Henrik!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Like Feraud,my favorites consist of those movies I can watch over and over again.

My list isn't as short,though:
The Wizard of Oz-I've watched this movie at least once a year for as long as I can remember and still get teary-eyed as Dorothy sings "Over the Rainbow"

The Thin Man-William Powell and Myrna Loy the chemistry these 2 had is so undeniable.As well as,the wit and charm each embodies.

Casablanca-Bogey and Bergman.The wit is so dry you almost miss it.

The Women-Love the entire cast,the fashion,and I nearly laugh all the way through it everytime.

Pretty much every Fred and Ginger film out there.These 2 set the bar for musicals.Swing Time,Top Hat,Follow the Fleet just to name a few.

Gentleman Prefer Blondes

I know there's more,but I'm hard pressed to think of anything else.
Oh,it's not Golden Era,but I will always love "The Princess Bride."

P

Phaedra

I too have many favorites, but the one at the top of my list is "The Bridges of Madison County".

John in Covina said:
At Christmas time I might say
"A Christmas Story" (Ralphie and the BB gun again)
with "Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" not for behind for comedies.
Then again "Miracle on 34th Street" is great
and so is "It' a Wonderful life" <<<<<<<<<<<<<There it is.
along with "Scrooge"
and even "Scrooged."
For the little ones I love the "March of the Wooden Soldiers" with Laurel & Hardy. And that's just Christmas!

It's a Wonderful Life is #4 on my Xmas list.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
The Long Goodbye (1973). Hands down.
-My favorite director (Robert Altman)
-My favorite cinematographer (Vilmos Zsigmond)
-My favorite subject (private eye)
-My favorite city (Los Angeles)
-Two of my favorite actors (Sterling Hayden and Elliot Gould)
-A fantastic theme song.
-A fantastic conclusion.

I thought this was going to be hard.

olive bleu

One Too Many
without a doubt, i would have to say"A River runs through it". I have been mesmerized by the movie since i first saw it( And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Brad Pitt)

I am captivated by the story, but also by the scenery and the running theme of fly-fishing.When i was growing up, I longed for my Dad to take me fishing, but he never would. I was very much aware of the fact that it was simply because i was a girl.

Now, my Dad is gone and times have changed so much. I know if he were still alive, he would say, "Te hell with it, lets go!"

I still have an obsession with fishing that is still with me to this day.Hopefully, I will eventually be able to fulfill that dream.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Drama
Tie between 'Wings of Desire' and 'Shawshank Redemption'

Comedy
'Twelfth Night' (the 2000 release)

Sci-Fi
ALL of the Planet of the Apes Movies!

Fantasy
Tie between 'Clash of the Titans' and 'Edward Scissorhands'

Animation