Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

Mojito

One Too Many
miss1934 said:
I loved pandora's box! I think Louise Brooks is one of the sexier women to walk the earth. YOu have high society on you list too, do you prefer it to phildelphia story?
It's a close call - I prefer (marginally) the cast of The Philadelphia Story, and most of the dialogue, but I do love the songs/singers of High Society. Bing and Frank's "Well did you Evah?" duet is one of my favourite movie moments of all time - it's one of my MP3 tracks for running. And...well...HS has Louis Armstrong!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
You know, I'm actually NOT a big movie fan. I have recently begun watching some '30's and '40's "hat" movies on TCM, though....

Favorite movies...you mean other than the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies?lol Lawrence of Arabia. One of the greatest cinematic masterpieces of all time. :eusa_clap Well, that and maybe Attack of the Killer Tomatoes...:D

Ooh, ooh, I like "The Ghost and the Darkness" too.

TM

A-List Customer
Mojito,

Picnic at Hanging Rock? I thought I was the only one on earth who owned that DVD. Great movie, although I liked The Last Wave better.

I agree with those in favor of Casablanca. No question - that is one of the greatest films ever made. And the Wild Bunch, certainly one of the best Westerns ever made. Although for Peckinpah I think I prefer Straw Dogs. Nice romantic comedy, that. Wizard of Oz of course is great. But with that one I prefer with the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon sound track.

For the best double feature I'd suggest Metropolis, followed by Blade Runner.

Tony

GOK

One Too Many
Since this is supposed to be just one film, for me it absolutely has to be It's a Wonderful Life.

However, were I to pick a list, then the following would be on it, in no particular order:

Raiders
Star Wars (Ep.IV of course...and Han definitely shot first!)
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Harvey
Le Ballon Rouge
To Kill a Mockingbird
Am?©lie
Asoka
Princess Bride
Frankenstein (Karloff)
The Mummy/Returns
All of the Harry Potter films!
(Partly because it was filmed largely in the next street to me) Kinky Boots!
All of the Hammer/Christopher Lee Dracula films :D

And because I am a woman, I reserve the right to include the ultimate chick flick - Love Actually!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
HUGE Gone With the Wind fan and collector here... I have a few costumes and a few in progress. Right now I'm having the blue bill jacket made she wears when caught in Ashley's arms.

But as many others said.. depends on the era and such. I just love to watch films for the costumes and sets. And naturally I adore Old Hollywood flicks.

Not a film, but right now I'm totally into HBO's Deadwood! ----sucka!! LOL!

Nikki

GOK

One Too Many
ohairas said:
HUGE Gone With the Wind fan and collector here... I have a few costumes and a few in progress. Right now I'm having the blue bill jacket made she wears when caught in Ashley's arms.

But as many others said.. depends on the era and such. I just love to watch films for the costumes and sets. And naturally I adore Old Hollywood flicks.

Not a film, but right now I'm totally into HBO's Deadwood! ----sucka!! LOL!

Nikki

I've never seen Gone with the Wind! Nor the Sound of Music for that matter, which always seems to surprise people. [huh]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
You're not alone GOK..:( sniff :( ... I know many people who have not seen GWTW. I plan on having a party for a bunch of girlfriends one of these days, esp. for those who have not seen it.
And of course, as in many cases the book is much better.
I love Sound of Music too!
Nikk

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
GOK said:
All of the Hammer/Christopher Lee Dracula films :D

Those are the most unique films ever! I was obsessive about them as a teen. Kinda scary. ;)
The editing, sound and color made them look like the films of no other studio.
Hmmm.... I need to find the DVD's....

I thought it was interesting that during the making of the Lord of the Rings films, Ian Holm spoke of Christopher Lee disparagingly and in a rather insulting tone. Lee is one of those monster film, B movie actors, while he, Holm, is a great AK-TOR. Pretty stinky of him...

GOK

One Too Many
I thought it was interesting that during the making of the Lord of the Rings films, Ian Holm spoke of Christopher Lee disparagingly and in a rather insulting tone. Lee is one of those monster film, B movie actors, while he, Holm, is a great AK-TOR. Pretty stinky of him...

Heheh, I know have images of that episode of Blackadder 3, where the AK-TORS are trying to teach George how to deliver a speech! lol

Holm was probably just miffed that he was the only hobbit that didn't need SFX to make him look small! lol

Mr Lee is fantastic - I was kind of secretly in love with him as Dracula when I was younger...much younger. :rolleyes: The DVDs by the way, range from horribly expensive to stupidly cheap and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
12 O'clock High & Shenadoah

I just love that old flick!

Also, Jimmy Stewart in Shenadoah, set during the American Civil War...very moving.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to read that about Ian Holm. (I like to hear him read books on tape. I like him as Joe Gould, didn't see Lord of the rings or whatever.) BUT, often if not always things reported are misremembered, taken out of context, misheard, misattributed or just plain wrong and that's not even including typos. I'm also a Lee fan. Loved him in The Wicker Man.
In the "Push comes to shove" thread I chose The Third Man. Now, I don't know. My one favorite is probably Rear Window.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Boy, this is tough.

I'd like to give mention to "The Ogre", with John Malkovich. I thought it was colossal, myself. Set in WWII, it was about a frenchman wrongfully accused of child assault, who ended up in the French military due to the Nazi invasion. He was taken, and ended up gathering children for Hitler's youth. He's a quirky character who thinks he's doing these poor children a favor by taking them into a castle where they can have regular meals and exercise, untill the truth starts dawning on him. This is a stunning movie, and no one ever seems to know what I am talking about. Anyone seen it?

The Shawshank Redemption was something I read some years before it came out, and was gald they made it into a movie. I teared up a little reading the end of the story. It's amazing that King could go from writing things like Carrie and Cujo, and then out comes this incredible story, lol. I am a King fan, though.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
a tough one

Too hard to pick just one, can depend on your mood

In noir I would have to pick from Casablanca or The Third Man

From musicals between Wizard of Oz or The Court Jester. The Court Jester has got it all, singing, dancing the funniest and cleverest sword duel in film history.

for me, Danny Kaye's best work

sorry .. can't pick just one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred