Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

Salv

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
I am the owner of the Playhouse!

B
T

I've actually got a toy Playhouse, and a PW doll with scooter and helmet to go in it. It comes complete with Floory, the TV that King Of Cartoons played his cartoons on, and the round red couch. And I've got a talking Pee-Wee doll. And film posters for Big Adventure and Big Top Pee-Wee. And both DVD box sets of the Playhouse TV shows...

penfencer

Familiar Face
Twelve O'Clock High

About five years ago I found (online) a reproduction of the famous Toby Jug used in the film to signal the start of another mission.

That movie really brought home the unbelievable stress those guys were under.

Nora Charles

New in Town
Absolutely, without a doubt...
ClueBig.gif

This movie is hilarious! I love Madeline Kahn!

Doh!

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
All right, here's my Raiders of the Lost Ark story.

I was about 13 when the movie came out. The day before its Hollywood opening at Grauman's Chinese Theater, I saw a poster and said, "I've got see this flick." (In my early teens, I wanted to become an archaeologist, so how could I resist a movie like "Raiders"?)...

It was, without a doubt, the greatest moviegoing experience of my life (thus far). Imagine seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark at the most famous movie theater in the world, Hollywood's "ground zero", on opening night. Wonderful!

Years ago, when The Godfather was re-released I saw it at the Chinese Theater. When Tom Hagen goes to Hollywood to try and convince the producer to use Johnny Fontane in his new picture, there's an establishing shot of L.A. that includes... the Chinese Theater! How wonderfully odd it was to be inside a theater, watching a movie that includes a shot of the very theater you're in! The audience went WILD.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Doh! said:
Years ago, when The Godfather was re-released I saw it at the Chinese Theater. When Tom Hagen goes to Hollywood to try and convince the producer to use Johnny Fontane in his new picture, there's an establishing shot of L.A. that includes... the Chinese Theater! How wonderfully odd it was to be inside a theater, watching a movie that includes a shot of the very theater you're in! The audience went WILD.

That happened to me, too. Barry Levinson was filming a scene (a Little Richard concert) for his film 'Liberty Heights' which takes place in Baltimore but used a historical theater in the town where I live. When it was shown at that theater it was a very odd feeling to be sitting practically in the very seat that the camera was shooting from.

miss1934

Familiar Face
Favorite movies of all time

If you had to pick one favorite movie of all time, what would you pick and why? I am at a real fork in the rod with this decision and can barely narrow myself down to five. I love shallow thirties comedies but I would hate to pick something shallow as my favorite movie of all time. I almost think I would have to do it by decade, but that defies the point of one overall favorite movie. What do you all think?

moustache

Practically Family
Way too difficult!

This question is going to be a tough one for most of us.
If i HAD to pick one only,it would be "A River runs through it".This,due to the story,clothing,music and ,without a doubt,the photography/cinematography.
Also,i grew up flyfishing those exact same rivers as a boy in Montana.So i suppose that makes me a bit biased!!

JD

Jay

Practically Family
I would say The Big Sleep, because it is the apex of the detective genre (I'd like to think so, anyhow), but there are still great movies out there. You've got me stumped on this one. A poll, perhaps?

miss1934

Familiar Face
polls are so limiting though, I always want to chose something that isnt listed. Have you read The Big Sleep? The book is excellent and quite short, you could breeze through it in a matter of hours.

Darn

Very difficult to answer because films get watched for a variety of reasons. I might be able to say a favorite comedy, drama, sci-fi or other style but a favorite of all times seems to be too difficult to choose.

At Christmas time I might say "A Christmas Story" (Ralphie and the BB gun again) with Lampoon's Christmas Vacation not for behind for comedies. Then again Miracle on 34th Street is great and so is It' a Wonderful life along with Scrooge and even Scrooged. For the little ones I love the March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel & Hardy. And that's just Christmas!

Drama Bad Day at Black Rock
Sci FI Them or The day the Earth Stood Still or War of the Worlds (Gene Barry version)

Bogart: Casablanca or Maltese Falcon

ON and on I can't choose, I am really bad at choosing one over the other, so a final top movie: "It's A Gift" W.C. Fields although "The Man on the Flying Trapeze" is really good too. Darn.
:eusa_doh:

Grace

Vendor
John in Covina said:
At Christmas time I might say "A Christmas Story" (Ralphie and the BB gun again) with Lampoon's Christmas Vacation not for behind for comedies.

Ha! A Christmas Story is definitley my favorite movie during the holiday season.
OT, but I went to a Christmas Costume party last year, and who was there but a guy dressed as Ralphie in the pink bunny suit with the pink bunny slippers! He even had the glasses! Needless to say he won the contest, and I got my picture with him. It was the BEST costume in the whole world.

I really don't think I could pick one favorite. It's a tie between Goodfellas and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I love gangster movies! Ray Liotta is among my favorites, and no one plays a gangster better than Joe Pesci and Robert Dinero.

I love Fear and Loathing because Hunter S. Thompson is my favorite writer. And Johnny Depp plays him so incredibly well in that movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner