Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When are you too old for a Beatle's suit

I was watching A Hard Day's Night, again, the other day, and it again got into my head that I need a Beatle's suit. It took all of one minute to find a company that makes them. $400 gets you any suit.

A Hard Day's Night.
HDNSuit.jpg

Love the chesterfield collar on this one, only I think the sharkskin might be a bit too loud. I still do wear sharkskin, even at my age, but only the muted kind.

Here's the famous collarless - inspired by Pierre Cardin's 60s suits.

Collarless.jpg

Perhaps it's a bit TOO recognizable. Without the piping, it could work.

Finally, the Ed Sullivan suit.
Chesterfield1.jpg

2Sullivan%20Suits.jpg

Conceivably, I can get away with this one. Note the chesterfield collar again.

Apart from diehard Beatles' fans, I don't believe anyone would instantly recognize the Hard Day's Night and Sullivan suits.

Yes, yes, I know - not Golden Era, but how about a word from our Rat Pack/Mod members. Matt? Briscoteque? Do I need to have my head checked?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
There may be an age limit for the Beatles suit... though the Mow suit is always going to be timeless.

I like the Bond look and the Cary Grant Jimmy Stewart looks from the 50's and 60's, though the Beatles style never caught on with me. I guess it's the perfect tailoring and mussed hair. Oh well. to each his own.

Maybe after I hit the point where It wouldn;t look good on me will I give into the idea that I should have tried on the style. Until then... make mine 1930's Clark Gable.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Apart from diehard Beatles' fans, I don't believe anyone would instantly recognize the Hard Day's Night and Sullivan suits.

Yes, yes, I know - not Golden Era, but how about a word from our Rat Pack/Mod members. Matt? Briscoteque? Do I need to have my head checked?

I agree and, while I don't think they'd work for me, I like them both. Maybe we're both mad?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oddly enough....moi!!!!

I'm getting ready to order the 'Ringo' jacket, similar to the one he wore on 'Abbey Road'. George Harrison wore one on the 'Beatle Again' LP cover. I posted it some time ago in a "favorite jacket" thread. I'll find it and repost as I'm sure your all anxious.

I've wanted one of these since about 1970 and it's about time - I'm good enough, I deserve, and gosh darn it, people like me! :eusa_clap

-dixon cannon

Way to go, Dixon! Is that the frock coat you're ordering? I have to say, I really like the Shea Stadium jacket too.

I've always loved the cut of the suits, and of course the chesterfield collars are a selling point, but I'm unsure if I can deal with a jacket with no front pockets. I think I'm going to contact MyTailor.com and see what he can do with a chesterfield collar. Post that link when you can.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Hey Tomasso, thanks for dropping that off I listened to that a couple days ago. interesting interview. I'll stop by their when I go to Duncan Quinn's new shop.

I'm also getting leads on other local tailors from the local Dandy community. There is high end, then there is well made. Sometimes the two don't meet eye to eye. I'll try to fing the ones that can make me what I want and make it so it lasts. I'm getting tired of the tailors who insist on the throw away suits that cost $2,000 or more. Problem is a lot of the shops ship it out and have the work done over seas then it comes back and... well hand tailoring in house is hard to find, especially in California. I have to take a trip to New York, Italy, Korea, or the UK to sit there and watch the suit being made. I've done it here a few times and don't know if i want to go to those tailors again... especially since I had to show them a few old techniques and think I embarassed them with what i knew they didn't know I knew about jacket construction.

I will again be seeing Jorge in Long Beach for trousers, and perhaps another suit... we'll see.

Keep an eye on that Jack Taylor thread.

jml90

One of the Regulars
It's not that anyone is too old for it. They just shouldn't do it to begin with. Those suits are ugly as sin. The second one looks like it belongs to Dr. Evil

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I LOVE this jacket!!!....

Ringo wore his with matching trousers on 'Abbey Road', George wore his with jeans on 'Beatles Again' - it's a great looking frock coat style with those Edwardian lapels. When I get mine in the Fall, I will proudly post photos of my own bad self! :rolleyes:

e9c2ee01.jpg

d1a3a2e3.jpg

In the mean time just remember, 'In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make' !! Words to live by!

-dixon cannon

The second one looks like it belongs to Dr. Evil

Yes, that's right. And we all dress like gangsters. I think I already stated this thread wasn't for everyone.

Thanks for the compliment, Scotrace. Anthony Newly! Kind of fits. I too always say 'Stop the World, I Want to Get Off.':D

Matt, I know MyTailor has an office in Los Angeles. I had to send a shirt back to an address there. You should try to find Joe Hemrajani and set up a meeting with him. When he measured me here in NY, he listened to all of my concerns and I could tell he understood vintage fit. He didn't like that I wanted to omit the side straps on the trousers, but he did it anyway. (I don't think there is a need for sidestraps when there are belt loops.) And he really thought me mad for asking for overcoat buttons on the jacket, but he did that too.

All right, now I'm thinking a silver-grey three piece with a chesterfield collar. Maybe something a la John Steed. (Yes, you might have seen my recent column at another site. ;) ) I'll get a hold of Joe myself this week.

Regards,

Senator Jack

mikepara

Practically Family
hahaha

Is this a wind up?

I wouldn't really knock most of The Beatles musical output. But they had horrible dress sense.. even when compared to the rest of the 60's. Horrendous! Skin tight, Collarless, Pointy winklepicker boots, moptops...need I list more?

Sorry but where is that thread on Caftans and Gurus?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Many of us don't like stingy brims...

but you don't see us putting them down when other members post about them.

This is one of those cases of where "If you don't have something nice to say, then it may be best to not say anything at all."

Just a reminder.

Carry on, esteemed Senator from New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy