Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the Great Steak Houses??????

Doh!

One Too Many
In St. Louis, try Citizen Kane's or Sam's.

Sam's serves each of theirs in I believe 3 different weights, so if you want the biggest steak in the city, go there.

Kane's has the tastiest cuts, though.

Both places are semi-high end in price but if you like steak (and you would be reading this thread if you didn't), they're worth it.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Hugh Beaumont said:
If any of you ever get to Vegas, you HAVE to go to The Golden Steer. It's still vintage 50's and has some of the best steak I have ever had (I love steak).

This is the place old Hollywood stars, including all of the Rat Pack ate and hung out in while in Sin City. It still retains it's classic 50's decor and screams suits and fedoras.

It's located just west of the strip on Sahara, in a little strip mall.

http://www.goldensteerlv.com/

:eek: :eek: Only the stars can afford it.

lol

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Bill Taylor one of the best steakhouses in Dallas is Bob's Steak and Chophouse. They've opened a location in SF (the only one outside of Texas). You should try it out. I've never been to the SF location, but Bob's is a great place in Dallas. It's a "guy" place: Dark wood paneling, red meat (and lots of it), a great bar, and phenomenal, properly cooked steaks with great side dishes.

Give it a try.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Steaks I can vouch for...

Kaaawa, (near Honolulu)Hawaii, The Crouching Lion

Portland, Oregon, Ringside

Minneapolis, Minnesota, Manny's

Chicago, Illinois, Harry Carey's

Seattle, Washington, Metropolitan Grill, El Gaucho, Daniel's Broiler

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
The only one I can think of is one of my absolute favorite restaurants--North Woods Inn.

P6120025.JPG

There's one in Covina, San Gabriel, and La Mirada, bizarre pieces of fifties kitsch as the buildings themselves look like log cabins with snow on the roof, and inside is dark varnished wood, tiffany lamps, and bizarre vintage art hanging on the walls.

PB030101.JPG

It's one of those steak houses where you eat peanuts and throw the shells on the floor and still smells like cigarette smoke despite the ban on public smoking. They have excellent steaks, great salads, and cheesy butter for potatoes. Could you ask for anything better? ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
The Hilltop Steak House in Saugus, Mass., at the sign of the Giant Neon Cactus. You can't miss it.

Beat me too it, Lizzie! The Hilltop is great.

I will always assert, however, that the best steaks ANYWHERE are at Wolf Lodge outside of Coeur d'Alene, in Northern ID. The building used to be a brothel frequented by miners. They do their grilling over an open fire using seasoned tamarack wood. Incredible.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Bill Taylor said:
Just discovered two or three months ago,
The Texas Roadhouse - Florence, Cox Creek. (It's a small chain out of either TN or Kentucky.

Texas Roadhouse is actually a national chain now. We have one up here in Boston.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Best in the Knoxville, TN area: Ye Olde Steak House

Worth Mentioning in the TN area: High Point http://www.highpointrestaurant.net/ Located in one of Al Capone's former "rum-runner" hideouts on the route from Florida to Chicago!!!

Elsewhere: Palm Too (NYC) Thank goodness rumors of its demise were premature!!! Thanks, Mr. Lucky.

--Not the Lulu

Haversack

One Too Many
The three best steaks I have ever eaten were, in order:
1. The porterhouse steak at the Old Plantation in Medicine Park, Oklahoma.
2. A steak of unknown cut in a hole-in-the-garden-wall place in a village-whose-name-I-do-not-know, on the Akrotiri Peninsula near Hania in Western Crete.
3. A porterhouse steak at the Big Texan Steak House next to I-40 in Amarillo, Texas.
Haversack.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Haversack said:
The three best steaks I have ever eaten were, in order:
1. The porterhouse steak at the Old Plantation in Medicine Park, Oklahoma.
2. A steak of unknown cut in a hole-in-the-garden-wall place in a village-whose-name-I-do-not-know, on the Akrotiri Peninsula near Hania in Western Crete.
3. A porterhouse steak at the Big Texan Steak House next to I-40 in Amarillo, Texas.
Haversack.

Is that the place in Amarillo where they advertise the 72 oz sirloin. If you can eat the whole thing you don't have to pay. You could feed the whole family and have leftovers.lol
In Concord, CA. there's a place called Barney's Hickory pit that's been there since 1957. I used to eat lunch their every payday and they have a terrific steak.
Bob.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Ecuador Jim said:
Seattle, Washington, Metropolitan Grill, El Gaucho, Daniel's Broiler

I also know we have a Ruth's Chris that some folks like. I went for lunch once, and the service and food were excellent, I thought. I've been to the Met (love it) and El Gaucho (also loved it, but it does get referred to as "El Gouge-o").

Haversack

One Too Many
cooncatbob asked about the Big Texan Steak Ranch next to I-40 in Amarillo, Texas.
"Is that the place in Amarillo where they advertise the 72 oz sirloin. If you can eat the whole thing you don't have to pay. You could feed the whole family and have leftovers."

Doch. Its a big barn-looking building just to the north of the freeway. Back when I was commuting from California to Fort Sill, it was one of my planned dinner spots.

Haversack.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Mark from Plano said:
Dallas is steakhouse Nirvana. Steakhouses in Dallas are so good that top name houses like Smith & Wollensky have tried to make a go and couldn't do it.

Some of the tops by category:
Large Chain:
-Ruth's Chris
-Morton's
-The Palm
-Capital Grille
-Del Frisco's
-Sullivan's
-Lawry's

Local & Small Chain:
-Al Biernat's
-Bob's Steak and Chop House
-Chamberlain's Steak and Chop House
-Dakota's
-Nick & Sam's
-III Forks
-Pappas Brothers Steakhouse
-Steve Field's Steakhouse
-Perry's
-The Chapparal Room (top of the Adams Mark, great view of the city)
-Silver Fox

Specialty and Foreign Steaks:
-Benihana (Japanese)
-Japon (Japanese)
-Fogo de Chao (Brazilian)
-Rafain (Brazilian)
-Texas de Brazil (Brazilian)

I would suggest one from the local/small chain list since you can go to a Mortons anywhere.

Mark has put together an excellent list of Dallas Steakhouses. From the local/small list I highly recommend Pappas Brothers Steakhouse which also has an excellent wine list and Al Biernat's.
You can't go wrong with the selections.

The only Texas Roadhouse I have ever eaten in doesn't hold a candle to a real steakhouse. IMHO.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Mark from Plano said:
When in Vegas you should try Vic & Anthony's, the new steakhouse at the Golden Nugget. This is Landry's ultra-high end concept in Houston and they've opened a new location in Vegas. We ate there for my birthday back in September and it was excellent.

We had dinner there the last week of September. It was great. The service was also very good.

M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner