Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the Great Steak Houses??????

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
carter said:
...However, their original Steakhouse is in Dallas. :)

Doh! :eek: No! Say it isn't so. I refuse to believe this! :D

In any case, they now have two Pappas Bros. locations in Houston. I start getting worried when the stand alone steak houses start chaining themselves.

I'm in the Clear Lake area, we have Perry's steakhouse here. Generally quite good, and our regular "go to" steakhouse. Nice piano bar.

M8

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Martinis at 8 said:
Good list Mark from Plano. I'm in Houston. I have been to most of the Dallas locations you listed. I did not like III Forks, ironic since the owner used to run the excellent Del Frisco's Double Eagle. The Pappas Bros. is originally a Houston dinner house, so we'll have to lay claim to that.

Not for just steaks, but for anything, Abacus, I found to be one of the best restaurants in Dallas. Unknown to the rest of the US, but I think Dallas has the best eateries in the country. Let's not let those people living north of the Red River learn too much. Okay?

Cheers,

M8

M8, I tend to agree about III Forks. I didn't add commentary to my list since it was ridiculously long to begin with. I've only been to III Forks a couple of times and while good, it doesn't seem to make my list of places to return. Again, Dallas is such a great steakhouse town that truly great steak places tend to fall into the second tier.

As for Pappas Bros., I have never been there but people I know who have claim it is the best steakhouse in Dallas. I'm willing to believe that, but I think Al Biernet's might have something to say about it. For a boys night out (read: Red meat and lots of it, cigars--at least until the mayor stopped it, clubby atmosphere, great bar, properly made martinis), there is no place like the original Bob's Steak and Chophouse on Lemmon Ave. Bar none, this is the best place for a boys' night out dinner on the planet (just bring your checkbook).

Abacus: Aaahhh, Abacus. This is truly one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas. I need a moment... It didn't make my list only because it is not a steakhouse, per se (though they do serve fine steaks).

If you like Abacus, you might also like Jaspers in Plano (owned by the same chef). He bills it as "backyard gourmet." Not sure what that means, but he explains it as "what I would serve if you came to my house for dinner." Awesome.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Martinis at 8 said:
Doh! :eek: No! Say it isn't so. I refuse to believe this! :D

In any case, they now have two Pappas Bros. locations in Houston. I start getting worried when the stand alone steak houses start chaining themselves.

I'm in the Clear Lake area, we have Perry's steakhouse here. Generally quite good, and our regular "go to" steakhouse. Nice piano bar.

M8

Have you tried Vic & Anthony's downtown (near Minutemaid Park, if I recall)? It's the Landry's high-end concept. I've eaten at that location once, but was in a private room for a business dinner, so didn't get a sense for the atmosphere of the main room (a big deal for me at steakhouses). However, I've eaten at the new location in Vegas several times and LOVE it.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Mark from Plano said:
Have you tried Vic & Anthony's downtown (near Minutemaid Park, if I recall)? It's the Landry's high-end concept. I've eaten at that location once, but was in a private room for a business dinner, so didn't get a sense for the atmosphere of the main room (a big deal for me at steakhouses). However, I've eaten at the new location in Vegas several times and LOVE it.

I've only done the Vic & Anthony's at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, just a couple of months ago. It was great dining and great wait staff.

Yes, I am with you on the atmosphere in the steakhouses. I think this is just a Texas thing however. We really have some babes that hang out at our steakhouse bars. It's the old gold-digger mentality from the 70's oil boom :D

M8

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
There's some great "steakhouses" in Argentina, where they are called parilladas (more a bbq restaurant) but lots of steaks.

Best one I ever went to there was one in Mendoza (wouldn't have a clue what it was called now) which was a carnivores heaven. Some of the best steak I have ever eaten.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
There's some great "steakhouses" in Argentina, where they are called parilladas (more a bbq restaurant) but lots of steaks.

Best one I ever went to there was one in Mendoza (wouldn't have a clue what it was called now) which was a carnivores heaven. Some of the best steak I have ever eaten.

Are these different than Churrascaria's? I ate at a churrascaria in Rio de Janiero, then they started building them in the US and we have several in Dallas. An all-you-can-eat steakhouse. What a concept!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Mark from Plano said:
Are these different than Churrascaria's? I ate at a churrascaria in Rio de Janiero, then they started building them in the US and we have several in Dallas. An all-you-can-eat steakhouse. What a concept!

Oh wow, you just reminded me.:eusa_doh: Over on El Camino Real in San Bruno, CA there opened one of these Brazilian steakhouses a couple of years ago. It's a little hole in the wall. It's called Cleo's/Mr. Pizza Man. I guess the guy wasn't sure if he would make it so he also made it part pizza joint. Well, anyway it's an all you can eat place where they bring the meat on giant skewers.:eek: Oh my god, all you can eat for something like $16.99:eusa_clap Talk about dying and ending up in pigs heavan.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Babe's in bars??????

Martinis at 8 said:
I've only done the Vic & Anthony's at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, just a couple of months ago. It was great dining and great wait staff.

Yes, I am with you on the atmosphere in the steakhouses. I think this is just a Texas thing however. We really have some babes that hang out at our steakhouse bars. It's the old gold-digger mentality from the 70's oil boom :D

M8

We need the addresses to these types of establishments.:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Martinis at 8 said:
I think this is just a Texas thing however. We really have some babes that hang out at our steakhouse bars.
It ain't only Texas. I find the same is true in NYC, Chicago and Miami Beach; though as all things in Texas, the babes may be bigger. ;)

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Gallagher's in NYC was very good.

I actually had a good meal at the Newark airport at a Gallagher's branch location.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Everything is bigger in Texas. :eek: And the women are bigger hearted in Texas in all the right areas. :eusa_clap

Wow, big steaks, babes, what is there more to ask for?????

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
carter said:
Bigger-hearted, my friend, BIGGER-HEARTED! :D
And bigger hair, BIG HAIR. ;) At least that was the case when I lived in Houston/Dallas in the early 80's.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
if you are anywhere near a Longhorn steak house try them out. yes, they are a chain, but they do have pretty good ny strip steaks. in Valparaiso & Portage, Indiana, we have a little place called Kelseys Steakhouse & they have prime rib up to 42 ounces. and yes it is a contest, that is you finish it, the meal if free. if you are in Chicago & dont mind spending money, you could try Stetson Chophouse, located in the Hyatt hotel dowtown in the Loop. when i was there, i ahd a 12 ounce ny strip with crab legs, a salad, and a light dessert, and if i recall correctly, it cost me $70. very expensive, yes, however i wished i got their biggest steak so that i could take some home. it is bar none, the best steak i have ever had...

Steve

Practically Family
McGuire's Irish Pub, Pensacola, FL.

Prime meats, incredible steaks. They have their own beer brewery too. My grandfather traveled the world and ate at the best steakhouses in the country, and he always claimed that no one could beat McGuire's.

http://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I dined at the Golden Steer in Las Vegas on Sunday. It's an older place with the wood paneling, red leather tufted booths and Dean Martin playing. The food was excellent. I had veal parmesan and a twice baked potato. Next time I go I will have to try the 20oz t-bone.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner